RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,061
Posts: 5,431,878
Members: 24,925
Currently online: 642
Newest member: dracopticon

TrekToday headlines

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 28 2013, 01:28 AM   #136
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

It doesn't make much difference whether he directs Trek 3 or not - no one's ever expected him to go on directing all of them; he wasn't even a sure thing a year and a half ago for the second one. What matters for now is that he and Bad Robot are running the show.

A few movies down the line we should expect another reboot with a new team anyway - see Batman; Spider-Man; X-Men.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 01:43 AM   #137
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore
 
Jackson_Roykirk's Avatar
 
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Re: jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
It doesn't make much difference whether he directs Trek 3 or not - no one's ever expected him to go on directing all of them; he wasn't even a sure thing a year and a half ago for the second one. What matters for now is that he and Bad Robot are running the show...
If I recall correctly, wasn't there some talk back in 2006 whether he would actually be directing the first one or not? He and Bad Robot were set to produce, but whether he would also direct was still a question at the time.
__________________

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 01:49 AM   #138
CorporalClegg
Admiral
 
CorporalClegg's Avatar
 
Location: Land of Enchantment
Re: jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

Jackson_Roykirk wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
It doesn't make much difference whether he directs Trek 3 or not - no one's ever expected him to go on directing all of them; he wasn't even a sure thing a year and a half ago for the second one. What matters for now is that he and Bad Robot are running the show...
If I recall correctly, wasn't there some talk back in 2006 whether he would actually be directing the first one or not? He and Bad Robot were set to produce, but whether he would also direct was still a question at the time.
Yup.

There was even a little talk that he might not direct ST09 IIRC.
__________________
Konnichi wa!
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 02:24 AM   #139
Tom Servo
Commodore
 
Tom Servo's Avatar
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Re: jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

YARN wrote: View Post
Tom Servo wrote: View Post
No, you think change is coming.
Change is already upon us. That was a big announcement.

Tom Servo wrote: View Post
If nuTrek wasn't your thing, then at this point it's just gloating on your part to those of us that do enjoy it, that JJ is working on something else as well.
I do like nu-Trek. I think the last film was better than most other Trek movies. It was much better than Nemesis. I am looking forward to part 2.

If my line of analysis, however, is upsetting to you, I'll leave off. Fair enough?

Tom Servo wrote: View Post
And if you really don't care about what happens with the third film, why do keep reiterating what you think is going to happen to it?
I care more about characterizing general conditions more than the particulars of the next film. It's too soon to really worry about the quality of the next film, but we can certainly note that it appears that the positioning of creative talent in the franchise is on the move. I can be interested in one (more proximate concern) than another (more distant concern).
Fair enough. I think we all just hope we continue to get quality Trek for years to come.
__________________
"I like this ship! It's exciting!"-Scotty "Star Trek"

Member of Red Sox Nation
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 02:30 AM   #140
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

Jackson_Roykirk wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
It doesn't make much difference whether he directs Trek 3 or not - no one's ever expected him to go on directing all of them; he wasn't even a sure thing a year and a half ago for the second one. What matters for now is that he and Bad Robot are running the show...
If I recall correctly, wasn't there some talk back in 2006 whether he would actually be directing the first one or not? He and Bad Robot were set to produce, but whether he would also direct was still a question at the time.
Yeah. Paramount didn't sign up Bad Robot just to get Abrams behind the camera. For example, after directing Mission Impossible III he produced but did not direct Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol and everyone at the studio was very happy with that.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 02:36 AM   #141
CorporalClegg
Admiral
 
CorporalClegg's Avatar
 
Location: Land of Enchantment
Re: jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

My ultimate hope is this whole escapade is the extra leverage Paramount needs to convince CBS to get a series going.

As I previously said in one of these threads, we are in an era where television has surpassed film in scope, depth, and all-around quality of storytelling, and there is no Star Trek show on the airwaves. I think that's a real shame.

I think it's the perfect time to go back, and this might be just the kick in the rear TPTB needed.
__________________
Konnichi wa!
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 03:45 AM   #142
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

Why would they do that if Into Darkness is a success? The natural and sensible thing then is to go ahead with the third movie.

Maybe Abrams will get Brad Bird to direct it?


OTOH, there is simply no clear path to big success with a Trek TV series in the current industry.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 04:57 PM   #143
Ovation
Vice Admiral
 
Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)
Re: jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

Anji wrote: View Post

I would like say, though, if JJ is doing all these new, hot movies, that doesn't leave any room for any up and coming directors. Which is a pity. Being a creative all my life, I have always believed in giving new talent a chance...it's only fair.
"Fair" has nothing to do with it. Commercial Hollywood studios are NOT charity organizations with the obligation to promote "up and coming directors". They are businesses interested in making a profit. Besides, Abrams, Nolan, Vaughn, hell, even Spielberg at one time, were all "up and coming directors". Why should they not reap the benefits of their earlier work when it becomes possible to do so?
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 05:01 PM   #144
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

Besides, Hollywood is producing hundreds of movies every year. It's not as if Star Trek was the only opportunity for up and coming directors to prove their worth.
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 05:31 PM   #145
Franklin
Rear Admiral
 
Location: In the bleachers
Re: jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
My ultimate hope is this whole escapade is the extra leverage Paramount needs to convince CBS to get a series going.

As I previously said in one of these threads, we are in an era where television has surpassed film in scope, depth, and all-around quality of storytelling, and there is no Star Trek show on the airwaves. I think that's a real shame.

I think it's the perfect time to go back, and this might be just the kick in the rear TPTB needed.
I agree with what you say about the much higher quality of the production values of many TV series in recent years, but for what it's worth, I've honestly gotten to the point where I have little or no interest in a new Trek TV series, any more. At least not just any Trek TV series. A very high quality, well-funded, and well-cast attempt to bring Kirk et al back to TV might cause my eyebrow to rise.
__________________
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. -- Mark Twain
Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 07:40 PM   #146
royalfan5
Fleet Captain
 
royalfan5's Avatar
 
Location: Lincoln, NE
Re: jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

Franklin wrote: View Post
CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
My ultimate hope is this whole escapade is the extra leverage Paramount needs to convince CBS to get a series going.

As I previously said in one of these threads, we are in an era where television has surpassed film in scope, depth, and all-around quality of storytelling, and there is no Star Trek show on the airwaves. I think that's a real shame.

I think it's the perfect time to go back, and this might be just the kick in the rear TPTB needed.
I agree with what you say about the much higher quality of the production values of many TV series in recent years, but for what it's worth, I've honestly gotten to the point where I have little or no interest in a new Trek TV series, any more. At least not just any Trek TV series. A very high quality, well-funded, and well-cast attempt to bring Kirk et al back to TV might cause my eyebrow to rise.
Honestly at this point, I'd be more interested in a Trek series that aired on Showtime instead of over the air channels. I think that might allow them push things a little more.
__________________
Trouble Ahead, Trouble Behind.
royalfan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 08:03 PM   #147
Franklin
Rear Admiral
 
Location: In the bleachers
Re: jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

royalfan5 wrote: View Post
Franklin wrote: View Post
CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
My ultimate hope is this whole escapade is the extra leverage Paramount needs to convince CBS to get a series going.

As I previously said in one of these threads, we are in an era where television has surpassed film in scope, depth, and all-around quality of storytelling, and there is no Star Trek show on the airwaves. I think that's a real shame.

I think it's the perfect time to go back, and this might be just the kick in the rear TPTB needed.
I agree with what you say about the much higher quality of the production values of many TV series in recent years, but for what it's worth, I've honestly gotten to the point where I have little or no interest in a new Trek TV series, any more. At least not just any Trek TV series. A very high quality, well-funded, and well-cast attempt to bring Kirk et al back to TV might cause my eyebrow to rise.
Honestly at this point, I'd be more interested in a Trek series that aired on Showtime instead of over the air channels. I think that might allow them push things a little more.
Or like a lot of BBC series, just six or fewer episodes a season, but with a lot of effort put into each.
Still, I think it would only catch my interest if they brought the original TOS crew back to TV. I can't see myself getting invested in yet another version of Trek in yet another time and setting with yet another set of characters in maybe yet another universe.
__________________
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. -- Mark Twain
Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 10:47 PM   #148
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral
 
DarthTom's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Re: jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
My ultimate hope is this whole escapade is the extra leverage Paramount needs to convince CBS to get a series going.

As I previously said in one of these threads, we are in an era where television has surpassed film in scope, depth, and all-around quality of storytelling, and there is no Star Trek show on the airwaves. I think that's a real shame.

I think it's the perfect time to go back, and this might be just the kick in the rear TPTB needed.
Shows like Trek are very expensive to make for television and almost have to be home run from the get go to pay for themselves.

Look at all of the high production quality TV shows that didn't get renewed because even though the their ratings were adequate it simply doesn't make financial sense to make them.

Revolution is one of the few shows returning that probably cost a lot of money to make compartiavely to the hugely popular Dancing with the Stars which cost a pittance to produce.

TV success stories like The Walking Dead are an anomaly in today's 300 channel environment.


I'm not sure the ratings would be there for Trek to pay for itself on regular broadcast television and still do it right in terms of production quality.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 10:56 PM   #149
USS Excelsior
Commodore
 
USS Excelsior's Avatar
 
Location: Alpha Quadrant
Re: jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

USS Excelsior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 11:08 PM   #150
CorporalClegg
Admiral
 
CorporalClegg's Avatar
 
Location: Land of Enchantment
Re: jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Why would they do that if Into Darkness is a success? The natural and sensible thing then is to go ahead with the third movie.

Maybe Abrams will get Brad Bird to direct it?


OTOH, there is simply no clear path to big success with a Trek TV series in the current industry.
I didn't mean a series instead of a third film. It's a foregone conclusion that, unless STID is a total flop, which it won't be, there will be a third film.

However, the future beyond that isn't nearly as clear now. Even since ST09 was first announced, there has been scuttlebutt that it was intended to be a trilogy. That makes sense. Hollywood loves trilogies. And I think the news puts it more in the "likely" column.

Sure, Bad Robot could finish the third film and say "full steam ahead!" For all we know, Disney only intends this to be a one film gig and plan to pass EpiVIII off to Whedon, Affleck, Verbinski, etc.

On the other hand, Paramount might find themselves facing, at best, a recasting and staffing or, at worst, another reboot and may feel that Star Trek simply lacks the ubiquitous slate comics have that so easy allow for multiple restarts.

However, for awhile now the rumor-mill has been churning out Trek series talk. It seems like Paramount has had its hand on the red phone to CBS for awhile now, but hasn't had reason to start dialing--even if STID is success.

So instead of risking things on the unknown future of the film franchise, the CBS/Paramount PTB could decide that, between the second and third films, they start putting the pieces in place for a series to hit the ground after the third film. That way they can keep the momentum going while they decided what to do about the fourth.

It has the added bonus of allowing for Abrams to put his stamp on it (and perhaps supply a couple of his TV minions) while requiring very little of him physically. Then they'd just bring in MacFarlane, JMS, or whatever name is flavorful that week.

Franklin wrote: View Post
I agree with what you say about the much higher quality of the production values of many TV series in recent years, but for what it's worth, I've honestly gotten to the point where I have little or no interest in a new Trek TV series, any more. At least not just any Trek TV series. A very high quality, well-funded, and well-cast attempt to bring Kirk et al back to TV might cause my eyebrow to rise.
See, I believe Trek simply works best on television. My biggest problem with film Trek is it does seem limited to one type of film. Since TWOK, there's really been one template that all films have followed, save one. Each film has gone outside the various lines, sure, but only slightly. And as the years have passed, that template seems to have become more ridged and strict. In fact, I don't know if TVH gets made today.

Don't get me wrong, I love the template. As long as they keep making them, I continue to go see them, and as long as they're of good, I'll enjoy them. However, a little variety would be nice.

This is especially true when you consider the stories Trek seems to be best at--the classics. Corbominte, City, Inner Light, Vistor, etc. all work so much better on television, and I just don't see a story of those various natures to ever be made into blockbuster films.
__________________
Konnichi wa!
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.