Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old January 27 2013, 11:39 PM   #211
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Re: Going Veggie

Jesus. That diet would kill me. I don't think I eat as many calories in three days as your dad does in one lunch!

Another sneaky substitute is pureed cauliflower as a thickener in soups and sauces in place of cream.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 11:42 PM   #212
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

That's a cool idea tsq! I've never used cream in any soup but I bet pureed cauliflower would be a nice edition to a minestrone etc..

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 11:50 PM   #213
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^It works really well! Another tasty way to eat it is to puree with some cottage cheese and fresh green herbs like parsly, salt, and pepper. Delish!

View my art!
Old January 28 2013, 12:05 AM   #214
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher

Damn, J.! I'd be dead within a week if I ate all that for lunch. But not before my gallbladder and kidneys died. Okay, maybe I wouldn't be dead but I would not be feeling well.

As for the wheat bread...I've actually trained myself to not like regular white, wheat bread. After eating breading with lots of grains and whole wheat and the like, regular just seems so...fat and sticky somehow. For a guy who's had a few slices of white toast for his breakfast every day since forever, this is kind of a big deal.
Old January 28 2013, 01:17 AM   #215
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

At the risk of stating the obvious, let me take the opportunity to point out that "whole wheat" and "whole grain" are not the same thing. What's usually labeled as whole wheat bread really isn't that much better for you than white bread. Whole grain or multi-grain is the way to go.
Old January 28 2013, 08:09 AM   #216
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher

In my case I'll defend myself with the fact that I don't know all the English words for things.
Old January 28 2013, 11:18 AM   #217
lurok
Commodore

A small amount of rice (about a palmful) also makes a really good thickener.

Last edited by lurok; January 28 2013 at 09:48 PM.
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 09:35 PM   #218
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

lurok wrote: View Post
Do any other asparagus lovers get that unfortunate side-effect?
It is a genetic trait. My brother has that effect, so I never eat asparagus.
J. Allen wrote: View Post
Last night we had tacos. Now, I've made tacos hundreds of times. The difference this time, however, was that I used soy crumbles instead of ground beef, and while there was a slight taste variation, no one really seemed to notice enough to comment on it. In fact, everyone seemed to enjoy them, including myself.

I'm going to use them in fixing hamburger helper later this week. We'll see if they notice a difference there. If they don't, or if they don't mind, then I have found a way to enjoy a good supper with my meat loving family instead of always having separate meals. That's less expensive in the long run!
Being poor on a farm, when meat was in short supply, Mom used the soy protein (as it was called then) in most dishes calling for ground beef. I use it occasionally these days, but I prefer ground turkey @ $1.49/lb. it is very inexpensive. A year or so I found Mexican-seasoned Soy Protein Ground Beef Substitute on close-out, so I bought a case of it. The kids/grandkids loved it in my Mexican lasagna, enchiladas, tacos, etc.
(I also successfully made him switch to whole wheat. He much prefers white bread)
Mom would not eat anything but soft white bread, either. I tried the WhiteWheat bread without telling her. A couple years later I told her what I'd done. Now she eats whole wheat "brown bread" with no problem... actually she prefers it.
Old January 28 2013, 10:01 PM   #219
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
lurok wrote: View Post
Do any other asparagus lovers get that unfortunate side-effect?
It is a genetic trait. My brother has that effect, so I never eat asparagus.
Really, just because it makes your pee smell funny? It doesn't seem a good enough reason not to eat a delicious and healthful veggie like asparagus!

The really interesting thing about the asparagus urine odor effect is that there are actually different types of people, all genetically determined, as you said. First, asparagus only affects the odor of urine for some people, but added to that is that only some people are capable of smelling the effect! So, you may not have the effect at all, nor be able to smell it, you may be able to smell it, but not have it, you may have it, but not be able to smell it, or you may be able to smell it, and have it.

View my art!
Old January 28 2013, 10:10 PM   #220
teacake
Admiral

I eat a lot of asparagus and I don't care what it does to my pee

(as far as I can tell, nothing)

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old January 28 2013, 10:19 PM   #221
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^Same with me, though it makes mine smell. It just makes it smell like asparagus!

And you'll never know about yours until you get a confirmed capable smeller to sniff it!

View my art!
Old January 28 2013, 11:08 PM   #222
macloudt
Shut up, I'm counting

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to macloudt

Everyone in the house knows when I've had asparagus, but I love them, so they can suffer.
Old January 29 2013, 02:09 AM   #223
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Would it be totally un-kosher of me to share a pescetarian recipe I came up with? It's just I'm doing a great job at sticking to my J Allen-inspired goal of stepping outside my cooking comfort-zone to learn more about cooking and to get more variety in my diabetes-friendly diet. Today I made up a coconut shrimp recipe that was fast, easy, and SOOOOOOO good!

View my art!
Old January 29 2013, 04:31 AM   #224
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
Would it be totally un-kosher of me to share a pescetarian recipe I came up with? It's just I'm doing a great job at sticking to my J Allen-inspired goal of stepping outside my cooking comfort-zone to learn more about cooking and to get more variety in my diabetes-friendly diet. Today I made up a coconut shrimp recipe that was fast, easy, and SOOOOOOO good!
It would be welcome!
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 07:20 AM   #225
teacake
Admiral

Super quick stir fry. Broccoli, carrot and bok choy. Added sweet soy sauce and dried onions and chillie (and also dried cuttlefish but you can leave that out obviously).

Get a good wok and you will look at veggies in a whole new way So FAST. So QUICK. So VERSATILE.

Went down great with beer and lime!!

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne