RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,689
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 526
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 26 2013, 01:45 AM   #2026
stj
Rear Admiral

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2013

^^^Mary went to France when she was about five years old, not fiteen. She was married at 15, not betrothed, I think. She was Queen of France at 16, but her husband died after reigning less than a year.

I was double checking my memory at Wikipedia, when I noticed it says Mary was 5'11"!

The truth is actually more exotic than Hollywood, but we're obviously getting the supposedly dramatic version.
Old January 26 2013, 02:04 AM   #2027
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

JJ gets another greenlight.

NBC has greenlighted Believe, Abrams’ project with Oscar-nominated filmmaker Alfonso Cuarón...about the unlikely relationship between a girl in possession of a great gift/powers — which will come into their own in seven years — and the man who is sprung from prison to protect her from those trying to hunt her down.
Re: Mary, she was a very tall girl for the times. Her story is amazing, and if the CW tells one tenth of it, they will have a great series on their hands.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 06:58 PM   #2028
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Cartoon Network development.

This caught my attention:

The Yoda Chronicles: LEGO Star Wars returns in epic style with THE YODA CHRONICLES, a thrilling, funny and action-packed new LEGO Star Wars story told in three animated TV specials! Set in the “Prequel” Star Wars timeline, THE YODA CHRONICLES stars the one and only Yoda—the Jedi Master who has seen it all, done it all, and taught generations of Jedi Knights—in an all-new adventure. With the help of a fresh class of Padawans, Yoda leads the Jedi in a desperate fight to stop Darth Sidious and his minions from creating a new super-weapon that could crush the Republic and win the war for the forces of Evil.
Not sure why that couldn't just be a storyline in The Clone Wars. A series on the ROTS-ANH years that tells us what Yoda, Obi-Wan and any other surviving Jedi were up to would be far more interesting to me.
Old January 28 2013, 07:07 PM   #2029
TayLaLaLa
Commodore

Beware The Batman sounds interesting but Teen Titans Go! sounds more of the same with that group as previous series.
TayLaLaLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 09:19 PM   #2030
Christopher
Writer

Samaritan wrote: View Post
Teen Titans Go! sounds more of the same with that group as previous series.
Not really, unfortunately, because the previous series actually did focus on action and adventure and fighting bad guys, whereas this new series is apparently going to be an expanded version of the recent DC Nation shorts, just comedy bits about what goes on when the Titans aren't fighting crime. Which seems rather pointless to me. Also the character designs will be different, closer to the chibi-esque versions used in the shorts.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 09:31 PM   #2031
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

CW greenlights Tomorrow People pilot.

A well-trod premise to say the least, but it's all in the execution...

In the vein of X-Men and Heroes, Tomorrow People is the story of several young people from around the world who represent the next stage in human evolution, possessing special powers, including the ability to teleport and communicate with each other telepathically. Together they work to defeat the forces of evil.
Old January 28 2013, 09:35 PM   #2032
TayLaLaLa
Commodore

Either way Teen Titans Go! doesn't interest me at all.

So what is up with Amazon? A no go!?!?
Old January 28 2013, 09:38 PM   #2033
Christopher
Writer

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
CW greenlights Tomorrow People pilot.

A well-trod premise to say the least, but it's all in the execution...
Well, it is a remake of a British series.

Old January 28 2013, 09:40 PM   #2034
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Yep, and The X-Men comics have been around since the 60s. I'd like to see some variation on the theme, such as a near-future story where the enhanced abilities are the result of genetic engineering, rather than something that just popped up in the species for unexplained reasons.

Amazon pushed to next season.

EXCLUSIVE: The CW just wrapped its pilot orders for this season with eight pickups, including planted Vampire Diaries spinoff The Originals. Amazon was not among them, and I have learned that the network has decided to roll the Wonder Woman origin project to next season. Additionally, I hear the CW may order an off-cycle pilot.
Not terrible news - The Selection was pushed out a year, too.
Old January 28 2013, 09:51 PM   #2035
TayLaLaLa
Commodore

Glad Amazon is still in the works.
Old January 29 2013, 05:47 AM   #2036
JD
Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Cartoon Network development.

This caught my attention:

The Yoda Chronicles: LEGO Star Wars returns in epic style with THE YODA CHRONICLES, a thrilling, funny and action-packed new LEGO Star Wars story told in three animated TV specials! Set in the “Prequel” Star Wars timeline, THE YODA CHRONICLES stars the one and only Yoda—the Jedi Master who has seen it all, done it all, and taught generations of Jedi Knights—in an all-new adventure. With the help of a fresh class of Padawans, Yoda leads the Jedi in a desperate fight to stop Darth Sidious and his minions from creating a new super-weapon that could crush the Republic and win the war for the forces of Evil.
Not sure why that couldn't just be a storyline in The Clone Wars. A series on the ROTS-ANH years that tells us what Yoda, Obi-Wan and any other surviving Jedi were up to would be far more interesting to me.
Because it's LEGO, which is totally different than the Clone Wars stuff. LEGO stuff is just goofy fun, it's not at all serious. They've actually done a couple of other LEGO SW specials already.
Old January 29 2013, 03:40 PM   #2037
Christopher
Writer

^Also because The Clone Wars is probably moving to Disney XD, whereas Warner Bros. retains the LEGO rights, so LEGO Star Wars is probably the only incarnation of Star Wars that they'll be able to keep on Cartoon Network.

Old January 29 2013, 09:26 PM   #2038
TayLaLaLa
Commodore

http://tvline.com/2013/01/29/pilot-n...nd-sequel-nbc/

The network has ordered a pilot for an Alice in Wonderland sequel series from CSI creator Anthony Zuiker, Matt Weinberg, JoAnn Alfano and Margaret Riley.
The project, titled simply Wonderland, will use Lewis Carroll’s 1865 novel as a point of origin, but will be built around a new character named Clara.

Not to worry though, Zuiker & Co. haven’t forgotten about your old friend Alice. Turns out she will have assumed the role of Wonderland’s evil queen, and thus will be the woman Clara wages war against. Clara, for her part, is described as a gal whose life took “an unexplained turn for the worse,” and thanks to a message from “a mysterious stranger,” looks for answers in the kingdom of Wonderland.
ETA: I'd be interested in seeing this. Grimm could use a good companion, they are all alone with what ever NBC sticks with them on FRI nights and then Dateline.

Last edited by TayLaLaLa; January 29 2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old January 29 2013, 11:22 PM   #2039
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Also because The Clone Wars is probably moving to Disney XD, whereas Warner Bros. retains the LEGO rights, so LEGO Star Wars is probably the only incarnation of Star Wars that they'll be able to keep on Cartoon Network.
Okay that does make sense. I wasn't aware there was any way The Cartoon Network could hang onto Star Wars going forward.

EDIT: buncha more pickups, from ABC. I'm making the executive decision that any series based on a theme park ride is automatically genre:

...themed Big Thunder Mountain ride is set in a mining town amid the gold rush in the American Southwest that gets hit by a natural disaster. The TV project centers on a brilliant, late 19th century New York doctor. He and his family are given a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to relocate to a frontier mining town run by a powerful, but mysterious tycoon but quickly realize that not everything in Big Thunder is as it seems.

The Matt Lopez-penned Gothica, co-produced by the Mark Gordon Co., is described as a sexy gothic soap set in present day that weaves together a mythology that incorporates the legends of Dracula, Jekyll and Hyde, Frankenstein and Dorian Gray among others. The concept seems similar to ABC’s fairytale drama Once Upon A Time but with characters from classic horror literature. Meanwhile, Penny Dreadful, Showtime’s straight-to-series drama from John Logan and Sam Mendes, features some of the same characters as Gothica – including Dr. Frankenstein and his creature, Dorian Gray and Dracula – but is set in Victorian London.

Last edited by Temis the Vorta; January 30 2013 at 01:45 AM.
Old January 31 2013, 06:10 AM   #2040
JD
Admiral

I like stories that play around with classic characters, so I'll probably be checking that one... since I won't be able to watch Penny Dreadful until it comes to DVD.