RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,115
Posts: 5,400,657
Members: 24,744
Currently online: 397
Newest member: Ohwowmelody

TrekToday headlines

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 28 2013, 04:56 PM   #46
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Ant-Man and Dr. Strange part of Marvel Cinematic Universe phase 3

Christopher wrote: View Post
I assume you're thinking of the curvaceous way she's usually drawn. I'd really rather not see her portrayed that way. I've got nothing against curvaceous women in principle, but it's a terrible body type for a catburglar, someone who's supposed to be light and agile and able to slink through tight spaces. It's a mistake to render Black Cat and Catwoman that way, a triumph of cookie-cutter fetishism over good character design.
Character design is not necessarily better when it's realistic. The characters you're talking about are defined by their sensual nature just as much as their profession. If you ignore those qualities, you miss the point of the character and end up with something else instead, something that is not nearly as interesting or enduring.
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 05:02 PM   #47
Relayer1
Commodore
 
Relayer1's Avatar
 
Location: The Black Country, England
Re: Ant-Man and Dr. Strange part of Marvel Cinematic Universe phase 3

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
It's very much an 'Ant-Man' origin movie from the perspective of Edgar Wright and his co-writer Joe Cornish
?

Joe Cornish. As in Adam and Joe, with Adam Buxton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3HL8XVMih8

__________________
Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 05:21 PM   #48
Shazam!
Rear Admiral
 
Shazam!'s Avatar
 
Re: Ant-Man and Dr. Strange part of Marvel Cinematic Universe phase 3

Yeah. He also wrote and directed Attack The Block which is a great little movie.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 05:29 PM   #49
Relayer1
Commodore
 
Relayer1's Avatar
 
Location: The Black Country, England
Re: Ant-Man and Dr. Strange part of Marvel Cinematic Universe phase 3

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Yeah. He also wrote and directed Attack The Block which is a great little movie.
It is indeed.

Still scary letting him loose with something 'proper'...

__________________
Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 05:29 PM   #50
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Ant-Man and Dr. Strange part of Marvel Cinematic Universe phase 3

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Character design is not necessarily better when it's realistic. The characters you're talking about are defined by their sensual nature just as much as their profession. If you ignore those qualities, you miss the point of the character and end up with something else instead, something that is not nearly as interesting or enduring.
That's a nonsensical counterargument, because you don't need to have DD cups to be sensual. Some of the sexiest women around have much sleeker figures. Women who are built like gymnasts or dancers can be stunningly lovely and sexy. Ample curves are fine, but they aren't all that sexy if they aren't special, if every woman in the whole comic-book universe has the same busty build, which is all too often the case in comics these days. Uniformity is boring. There are a lot of different ways to be beautiful.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 05:35 PM   #51
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Ant-Man and Dr. Strange part of Marvel Cinematic Universe phase 3

Christopher wrote: View Post
That's a nonsensical counterargument, because you don't need to have DD cups to be sensual.
I was replying to your original statement, which made no mention of sensuality whatsoever.
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 05:58 PM   #52
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Ant-Man and Dr. Strange part of Marvel Cinematic Universe phase 3

^Yes, I know that. You introduced the concept of sensuality as a justification for the character's curvaceousness. I was rejecting that argument because that's not the only way to be sensual.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 06:02 PM   #53
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Ant-Man and Dr. Strange part of Marvel Cinematic Universe phase 3

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Yes, I know that. You introduced the concept of sensuality as a justification for the character's curvaceousness. I was rejecting that argument because that's not the only way to be sensual.
No, I introduced the concept of sensuality because your idea of "good character design" seemed to leave no room for anything else than practicality.
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 06:15 PM   #54
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Ant-Man and Dr. Strange part of Marvel Cinematic Universe phase 3

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
^Yes, I know that. You introduced the concept of sensuality as a justification for the character's curvaceousness. I was rejecting that argument because that's not the only way to be sensual.
No, I introduced the concept of sensuality because your idea of "good character design" seemed to leave no room for anything else than practicality.
"Seemed" being the key word. You assumed that was what I meant because you made the mistake of equating sensuality with big breasts. My whole point is that that's wrong -- that the kind of sleek, supple body type I'm thinking of is no less sexy, that there's no reason a character like Black Cat couldn't be just as sensual while also having a body type that makes sense for a catburglar.

You see, what inspired my line of thinking here was a Mission: Impossible episode where Eartha Kitt -- the third-season Catwoman from the Adam West Batman -- guest starred as a gymnast who played a vital role on a mission by using her dainty, flexible build to crawl through tight ventilation ducts, slide under electric eyes, and so forth... and it was really very sexy to watch. I realized then and there that that's exactly how Catwoman or Black Cat should be built, because then they'd still be sexy, but in a way that suits their characters and their jobs, rather than just being a carbon copy of every other superheroine's or supervillain's body type these days.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 06:41 PM   #55
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Ant-Man and Dr. Strange part of Marvel Cinematic Universe phase 3

Christopher wrote: View Post
"Seemed" being the key word. You assumed that was what I meant because you made the mistake of equating sensuality with big breasts.
Strawman argument. You're arguing with yourself.
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 07:33 PM   #56
Gaith
Rear Admiral
 
Gaith's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: Ant-Man and Dr. Strange part of Marvel Cinematic Universe phase 3

So-ooo... No one really wants a Black Widow movie either, huh?
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 09:15 PM   #57
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Ant-Man and Dr. Strange part of Marvel Cinematic Universe phase 3

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
"Seemed" being the key word. You assumed that was what I meant because you made the mistake of equating sensuality with big breasts.
Strawman argument. You're arguing with yourself.
Okay, I apologize. We're just talking past each other. I took it as implicit that what I was saying about body types had nothing to do with how sexy the character was, because of course different body types can be sexy. You seemed to think I was ignoring the issue of sexuality, which confused me. The only explanation I could think of for why you would interpret my words that way was that you were assuming "not big-breasted" meant "not sexy." I apologize for making that assumption, but then, what did you mean?
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 09:28 PM   #58
Skywalker
Admiral
 
Skywalker's Avatar
 
Re: Ant-Man and Dr. Strange part of Marvel Cinematic Universe phase 3

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Technobuilder wrote: View Post
I only wish they could bring Daredevil, Spidey, Fantastic Four, & X-men back to the fold of a shared universe. I miss those guys.
I feel X-Men is such a robust cast of characters that cross-overs tend to be distracting. You end up with mutants as a product of evolution and all the allegories that come with it and, oh by the way, there are other super heroes that are artificial and have none of those things but can still pose the same threats to other people. It undercuts the themes a bit. So I'm fine with X-Men being a separate universe.

Similarly, I feel that Daredevil and Punisher (might be missing someone) would work great in the same universe as Spiderman, but you don't necessarily need them in the Avengers universe.
I agree with you about the X-Men. While I don't like how Fox has handled some aspects of the property, I much prefer the X-Men off in their own universe. I wish they were in their own universe in the comics, too.

And I also agree about Daredevil and Punisher. I especially would like to see at least Daredevil in the same universe as Spider-Man just so that both characters could have access to the Kingpin.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 09:49 PM   #59
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: Ant-Man and Dr. Strange part of Marvel Cinematic Universe phase 3

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Re the magic issue and audiences acceptance thereof - a couple of years ago, people were voicing the concern that Thor would be a hard sell, with his Norse Gods etc, but that worked out all right.
That's an illustrative point, though, because the movie went to lengths to emphasize that it wasn't magic or gods but aliens. Everything from the beginning intro to the "sufficiently advanced science is indistinguishable from magic" line just wanted to harp that point so the audience wouldn't reject it.

I think they can easily do that here. Advanced, unexplainable alien technology seems to be the rule of thumb for Marvel movies. After that, they can have whatever magic they want.
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 12:43 AM   #60
KeepOnTrekking
Commodore
 
Re: Ant-Man and Dr. Strange part of Marvel Cinematic Universe phase 3

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
KeepOnTrekking wrote: View Post
Mr Light wrote: View Post
If Dr Strange is important to Phase Three, that suggests that Avengers 3 is going to use a Dr Strange villain like Dormammu for it's big alien invasion at the end, just like they're doing Thanos and the Guardians of the Galaxy in Phase Two.
If they did jump to using Dormammu right away in the 1st Strange movie, he would definitely bring a presence to the screen with the sfx head. I've always imagined a loud booming voice similar to that of the Guardian of Forever or the Melkotian in ST:TOS. Throw some curves in with Clea and Umar. Add a few hundred Mindless Ones to help with the alien invasion aspect and you've got the beginnings of a good movie or two.
Works for me, as long as we get some psychedelic, Ditko-esque art direction as well.
Yes, definitely! If they can use special effects to match a Ditko-esque style for the Dark Dimension that would rock! When I was a kid, Pocket Books put out a book of Strange Tales reprints of Dr. Strange's earliest tales. By the time I reached #116 "Return to the Nightmare World," I was hooked on Ditko's depictions of other dimensions!
KeepOnTrekking is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.