Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old January 25 2013, 04:10 PM   #16
22 Stars
Commodore

Re: Old Star Trek books

This is a fun thread, i have all of these, some in my new apartment some in storage waiting for the creation of my Trek Library. DG used to sit outside the main auditorium at the the Roosevelt Hotel, with no sign, just a stack of WoST and TwT and sign them and sell them to whoever would stop by, introducing himself and earning some lunch money. What a nice guy, really. A thrill to meet him as a teen in the 80's.
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 04:50 PM   #17
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

CaptPapa wrote: View Post
I have a pretty good assortment of the early books, including The World of Star Trek autographed by David Gerrold's at WorldCon in '06.
Among others:
The Making of Star Trek
The Trouble With Tribbles: The Complete Story . . .
Starfleet Technical Manual
Star Trek Lives!
Star Trek Concordance
Star Trek Action Toy Book
Star Trek Puzzle Manual
Letters to Star Trek
Meaning in Star Trek
Trek or Treat
Star Trek Quiz Book
The Star Trek Puzzle Manual
Starfleet Medical Reference Manual
The Making of the Trek Conventions
Star Trek Speaks
Spaceflight Chronology
On The Good Ship Enterprise, My 15 Years With Star Trek
and the first novel, Mission to Horatius (not the reprint)

One other item I'm pleased to have, though it's not too old (from 1991), I think it's fairly rare. It has a rather long winded title; "Star Trek An Annotated Guide to Resources on the Development, the Phenomenon, the People, the Television Series, the Films, the Novels and the Recordings", by Susan R. Gibberman.
But did you have the colorforms, record/comicbook combo/and Gold Key comics? hmmmmmm???
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 05:24 PM   #18
22 Stars
Commodore

Yes, Yes and yes.
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 06:04 PM   #19
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

There are very few books that I keep forever and eventually as the book shelves get too full I loan them out or take them to a used book store. The only Trek book that I have kept is an autographed copy of Chekov's Enterprise by Walter Koenig which documents his experience in making TMP. It's probably time for a re-read on it.
Old January 25 2013, 06:15 PM   #20
CaptPapa
Commander

But did you have the colorforms, record/comicbook combo/and Gold Key comics? hmmmmmm???[/QUOTE]

Not the record/comic combos, but I have all but about half a dozen of the Gold Key Comics. Surprisingly, I have all the low numbers; it's mostly the end of that series that I lack.

I have a number of other mid-era non-fiction books; Monsters of Star Trek, The Klingon Dictionary, the official Quiz Book and Interview Book, and all the Compendium editions.

I've been giving those old record combos some serious thought though, lately. I just don't have a record player anymore, and I'm not one who collects and seals everything away. To me, the enjoyment is not just having it, but reading/looking/listening to it too!
Old January 25 2013, 06:44 PM   #21
Christopher
Writer

I think Chekov's Enterprise is the one major TMP-related book that I've never read.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 07:14 PM   #22
CaptPapa
Commander

Christopher wrote: View Post
I think Chekov's Enterprise is the one major TMP-related book that I've never read.
Just thinking about that, and the only thought that comes back, is the author talking about their playing softball after, or between filming. For some reason that's the only thing that sticks from that book.
Old January 26 2013, 12:38 AM   #23
BizarroStormy
Fleet Captain

Nobody else mentioned the James Blish episode adaptations from the 70s......twelve books, plus a 13th with the Harry Mudd episodes and a third Mudd tale all written by his wife following his death. The earlier you go back in the series, the more liberties are taken with certain plots, with some very significant changes. Blish's MENAGERIE adapts only the Pike flashbacks and not the Kirk-Spock framing story. Blish thought doing both was unfeasible, though it wouldn't surprise me if several fans had attempted if not succeeded the assignment.
Since I'm above all else a 70s collector, my other TREKS consist of the Concordance, the Compendium (70s and 90s versions), SPOCK MUST DIE, the Foster Logs and I AM NOT SPOCK UNTIL THE SECOND BOOK.
BizarroStormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2013, 05:07 AM   #24
CaptPapa
Commander

foxhot wrote: View Post
Nobody else mentioned the James Blish episode adaptations from the 70s......twelve books, plus a 13th with the Harry Mudd episodes and a third Mudd tale all written by his wife following his death. The earlier you go back in the series, the more liberties are taken with certain plots, with some very significant changes. Blish's MENAGERIE adapts only the Pike flashbacks and not the Kirk-Spock framing story. Blish thought doing both was unfeasible, though it wouldn't surprise me if several fans had attempted if not succeeded the assignment.
Since I'm above all else a 70s collector, my other TREKS consist of the Concordance, the Compendium (70s and 90s versions), SPOCK MUST DIE, the Foster Logs and I AM NOT SPOCK UNTIL THE SECOND BOOK.
As I remember, Blish used shooting scripts, and sometimes earlier versions than what was filmed, to do his writing from (from which to do his writing?). Hence the differences from what we saw on film - I imagine that's the reason for the occasional title changes as well - such as 'The Unreal McCoy' and 'The Last Gunfight'. I have them on the shelf too, along with the fotonovels, but it's been ages since I read them.
Old January 28 2013, 12:27 AM   #25
Anji
Rear Admiral

View Anji's Twitter Profile

Anybody got a program from the opening night of "The Wrath of Khan"? I do. Not heavy on plot but the photos are great!
Old January 28 2013, 12:29 AM   #26
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Anji wrote: View Post
Anybody got a program from the opening night of "The Wrath of Khan"? I do. Not heavy on plot but the photos are great!
I used to have the program from the opening night of TMP. No idea what became of it. Probably buried in a box in the attic somewhere!

I also had an issue of Starlog autographed by Robert Wise that's probably in the same box.
Old January 28 2013, 01:37 AM   #27
KeepOnTrekking
Commodore

Except for a couple of them, I read all of these when I was growing up during those years. I'll throw in a couple of Ace Books: A Star Trek Catalog and Shatner: Where No Man...
KeepOnTrekking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 04:39 AM   #28
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

I wrote in my puzzle manual. D'oh! In pencil, though. I was 10.
Old January 28 2013, 06:49 AM   #29
Ghost of Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ghost of Sector 7

I used to have quite the Trek library, until the ex stole it all. [There is a very special place in Hell for her!!] Mostly, I miss the old TOS Foto-novels. For a kid with a 13" black & white TV, those color foto-novels were amazing! [The first time I saw color television was in college.]

These days, my collection consists of:
- all the movies on DVD
- TOS-R on DVD
- TAS on DVD (drooling over a probable Blu-ray version), a Father's Day gift
- StarFleet Technical Manual, First Edition
- life-sized store display with ST09 Burger King glasses + 2 extra sets
- The Making of Star Trek, Trouble with Tribbles books, at least I think I still have them

I'd love to find the set of Foto-novels some day...
Old January 28 2013, 08:35 AM   #30
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Here are my Blish books:

and some more old ones from my shelf:

I'm never parting with these things.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote