Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 28 2013, 12:55 AM   #16
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: If Not Wonder Woman...Then Who?

I remember being impressed by Julia Rose who played Julie Newmar in Return to the Batcave, the Further adventures of Adam and Burt, which was an adaptation of Adam West's autobiography, but that's just further gratis to Julie since it was just a talented fascimilie of her rendition.

I feel saddened that we never saw Gina Gershon in some sort of Catwoman outfit after performing quite well on one of the animated series.

"sigh"

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 06:05 AM   #17
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Most of the reviews I've seen agree that Hathaway's Selina was the best thing about The Dark Knight Rises even when they found the rest of the movie flawed. She's certainly the best live-action screen Catwoman since Julie Newmar.
I say thee nay, mon ami! This gentleman prefers the blonde! Yes, Anne looked fantastic, but her Selina spent her entire movie trying to get out of being (don't-call-her-)Catwoman, whereas Michelle was just delighted to wield the claws. Point goes to her!
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 06:57 AM   #18
RoJoHen
Awesome

Wonder Woman is a weird character with a weird origin story and weird powers. She worked in a cheesier time, but for her to work now, I think her backstory would have to seriously be re-designed. Daughter of the Gods? Invisible plane? Magic lasso that makes you tell the truth? Just too goofy. I can barely suspend my disbelief when she pops up in cartoons anymore.

I think Catwoman could work well as a live-action series, as she is also a fairly independent character that wouldn't require shoehorning Batman into the story (not that you couldn't).

DC is a boy's club. There are plenty of female Marvel characters that could support their own series, but unfortunately you just don't have that many if you're exclusively looking at the DC Universe.
Old January 28 2013, 07:16 AM   #19
JD
Admiral

I could see a Zatanna or Catwoman movie working. Sadly, I can't really think of any other solo female DC heroes who aren't a spin-off of one of the men.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 07:38 AM   #20
Technobuilder
Commodore

I'd really really like to see Justice League: Dark (Zatanna & John Constantine, Swamp Thing... Hells yeah.)

Stargirl/Starwoman has lots of potential, especially if they go with a version that's post Jack Knight Starman's retirement. I've always liked Courtney's character.
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"
Technobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 07:39 AM   #21
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Wonder Woman is a weird character with a weird origin story and weird powers. She worked in a cheesier time, but for her to work now, I think her backstory would have to seriously be re-designed. Daughter of the Gods? Invisible plane? Magic lasso that makes you tell the truth? Just too goofy. I can barely suspend my disbelief when she pops up in cartoons anymore.
I guess the counter-argument would be Thor.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 07:44 AM   #22
RoJoHen
Awesome

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I guess the counter-argument would be Thor.
Totally, and Marvel did an awesome job with Thor, so it's certainly not impossible for Wonder Woman to work as well.

Honestly, it's mostly the invisible plane that I can't get past. Get rid of that, and I'd be way more okay with the character.
Old January 28 2013, 08:31 AM   #23
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Hawkgirl would be easy, but derivative.

What about Starfire as an introductory to the Titans franchise?

What if wonder Woman started in World War II, but she didn't join the JLA till modern day?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 03:18 PM   #24
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

I'd definitely love to see an Anne Hathaway Catwoman movie. I think Wonder Woman could work fine if you play up the mythology Thor-style. Zatanna could be a hit, and I hope Del Toro's JLD happens.

Technobuilder wrote: View Post
Stargirl/Starwoman has lots of potential, especially if they go with a version that's post Jack Knight Starman's retirement. I've always liked Courtney's character.
Give her Jack's badass longcoat and aviator goggles to go with the Staff?
Old January 28 2013, 03:33 PM   #25
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Another vote for Anne Hathaway's Catwoman. Or even better, a Batgirl movie (or three) set in Nolan's universe.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 03:50 PM   #26
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Another vote for Anne Hathaway's Catwoman. Or even better, a Batgirl movie (or three) set in Nolan's universe.
I've always felt in Nolan's universe Catwoman is Batgirl.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 03:55 PM   #27
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Fan of the DCAU Batman/Batgirl pairing I take it?
Old January 28 2013, 04:19 PM   #28
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I've always felt in Nolan's universe Catwoman is Batgirl.
Nolan's Catwoman is consistent with her comic book counterpart. She isn't an amalgam of several characters like John Blake is, so there's still room for Batgirl. I think Batgirl would be more like one of the pretenders we saw in The Dark Knight.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 04:29 PM   #29
Christopher
Writer

Honestly, it's mostly the invisible plane that I can't get past. Get rid of that, and I'd be way more okay with the character.
Well, that's easy. It's hardly an indispensable feature. The modern version of Wonder Woman can fly under her own power anyway, so she has no need of such a thing. In the animated Justice League, WW didn't use one, although she did acquire a cloaked aircraft by the time of JL Unlimited.

Would you be okay with it if it were done the JLU way, as an aircraft with a cloaking device, rather than a transparent aircraft where you can clearly see Wonder Woman sitting inside it?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 04:39 PM   #30
TayLaLaLa
Fleet Captain

I think a cloaked plane is better than one that is just invisible and we see her just sitting there. Since she can fly I don't see the point in a plane at all unless it is some sort of gag or the plane is big enough to transport a team of JLers that can't fly or to rescue a group of people...which would be the case in a stand alone WW movie.
TayLaLaLa is offline   Reply With Quote