Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old January 27 2013, 07:49 PM   #16
marksound
Fleet Captain

Re: Do your family like Star Trek?

Nope, just me. Been that way for ~40 years now.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 08:11 PM   #17
JiNX-01
Admiral

View JiNX-01's Twitter Profile

No.

And the only friends I have who like Trek I only know online or met at conventions.
-- Mahatma Gandhi --
JiNX-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 08:11 PM   #18
Brit
Captain

I've been a Trek fan since TOS premiered; my Mom, Dad and middle brother were casual fans. My oldest and youngest brothers and I are big fans. When my daughter was born I introduced her to TOS reruns. She turned into a big fan too. We went to the movies and she talked me into watching NG when it premiered (I believed that no one could be better than Spock and Kirk - I was wrong).

Flash forward; we continue to be big fans. My youngest brother's daughter is watching and loving Voyager right now, and my oldest brother and his wife have just finished the second go round of all the series. So yes we are fans.

Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 10:05 PM   #19
Keith1701
Rear Admiral

Melakon wrote: View Post
My only family is a cat, who seems indifferent.
The same is true for me as well...
Keith1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 10:13 PM   #20
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

My mom liked DS9 and to a lesser extent TOS, but TNG and VOY bored her.

My grandpa liked Mr. Spock.

My grandma went with me and mom to see Star Trek V, and she liked it well enough, although she kinda rolled her eyes at the "finding God" aspect of the movie, being a very religious person herself.
Old January 27 2013, 11:08 PM   #21
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

My oldest brother is as big a sci fi fan as I am (he became a fan of DS9 before I did), and one of my sisters and her husband & kids are pretty big fans, too - I saw the Abrams movie with them and we all had a great time.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 11:41 PM   #22
Anji
Rear Admiral

View Anji's Twitter Profile

My dad sat me down on his lap and we watched TOS during it's original run in 1966. It's the only memory I have of my father (he would pass away in 1970 when I was 7 years old.) My mom was a huge fan. She thought Dr. McCoy had the sexiest blue eyes and a tremendous crush on Worf for his huge, broad shoulders.

With mom, dad and all the older relatives gone, that leaves just us kids. Me and all but one of my cousins are huge Star Trek fans and Star Wars fans. She is in hell every Christmas because we play nothing but Star Trek episodes during our family parties and when we talk Trek she doesn't have a clue what we're saying!
Old January 28 2013, 12:55 AM   #23
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Depends on the family member. My dad introduced me to Star Trek way back in the sixties, but I'm not sure my mother even knows the difference between Star Trek and Star Wars (although she proudly displays my books in the living room). As for my small army of siblings (and nieces and nephew), you've got the whole range from total indifference to casual interest to serious enthusiasm.

By coincidence, my youngest brother started exposing his kids to TREK just this week. I've been helping him pick out kid-friendly eps of TOS like "Arena" and "Shore Leave."

(I gather the Salt Vampire in "Mantrap" caused some bedtime issues!)

As for friends . . . well, I've spent pretty much my entire adult life in scifi fandom, so the vast majority of my friends are heavy-duty fans.

Last edited by Greg Cox; January 28 2013 at 01:05 AM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 04:42 AM   #24
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

My siblings were casual fans. My father was aware of the show and would tease me about it. My mother had no clue about Trek and SF in general. My wife is a fan and watches with me.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 05:00 AM   #25
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

My brother called me a Star Trek nerd well into adulthood. In 2009, we saw the new movie together. It was his way of showing he cared. Now my brother is a big fan of Star Trek 2009!

One day, my brother asked me which Star Trek had "the guys that wore NASA outfits"? Turns out he had caught an episode somewhere, but didn't remember the name of Enterprise. He was trying to find the series on iTunes for download.

He also started calling me about a TV series he was watching. He kept asking me about Star Trek references he didn't understand. I soon started watching this show, just to anticipate his Trek questions. Now we are both big fans of The Big Bang Theory!
Old January 28 2013, 05:18 AM   #26
Jono
Rear Admiral

My sister is the only one who likes Trek in my immediate family. In fact I think she has watched all of it whereas I've only seen around 2/3rds as I've probably only watched around 2 seasons of TNG and Voyager each.

My mum introduced me to Trek, but I think it was more out of that she thought I'd enjoy the TOS films rather than her actually liking Trek.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote