Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old January 28 2013, 04:15 AM   #16
rfmcdpei
Captain

View rfmcdpei's Twitter Profile
Re: Post-"Yesterday's Enterprise" events and entanglements

SicOne wrote: View Post
I read "The Fourth Toast" from SNW3 as well as the relevant sections of "Vulcan's Heart".

"Fourth Toast" was a decent enough short story, though I found it difficult to swallow that Castillo and Parker's escape pod made it past the Romulans, who would not have found it in their interests to allow survivors to get away.

I saw no mention in VH of the final outcome for the survivors beyond Tasha's arrangement with Volskiar so that seems to leave their fates unknown; furthermore, Yar's death (or "death", if you subscribe to the theory that her usefulness to interrogators outweighed her usefulness to Volskiar in raising Sela...) certainly alters the deal. But since Yar clearly never found an opportunity to get word to the Federation about them, from the Federation's point-of-view all hands went down with the C at Narendra 3.
It's worth noting that Picard thought that the idea of Enterprise-C survivors was mere rumours. If there had been survivors who returned from Romulus, then this wouldn't have been the case.
rfmcdpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 04:38 AM   #17
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ If you're going by that excerpt from Redemption II: That scene was CUT from the final airing of the episode, wasn't it? So in terms of what we actually saw onscreen, there was no discussion whatsoever of survivors. So there could be some.
Old January 29 2013, 03:49 AM   #18
rfmcdpei
Captain

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ If you're going by that excerpt from Redemption II: That scene was CUT from the final airing of the episode, wasn't it? So in terms of what we actually saw onscreen, there was no discussion whatsoever of survivors. So there could be some.
Was it? I swear that I remember watching this scene on TV.
Old January 29 2013, 04:03 AM   #19
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

^ I'm just going by what I read here. I really should check the aired ep first. But I've been so spoiled by the Blu-Rays that I can't do that yet.
Old January 29 2013, 02:26 PM   #20
Trek
Fleet Captain

rfmcdpei wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Was it? I swear that I remember watching this scene on TV.
I'm 99% sure that scene is still intact in the episode.
Twitter: @Trek88
Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 04:10 PM   #21
SicOne
Commodore

^ I remember it as well. And it came in discussions Picard was having with Guinan, whose word Picard holds in high standing. Furthermore, Sela confirmed the existence of survivors while talking about her past and her mother.

If you'll pardon the double negative, I can't NOT see Picard delving further into this matter. Given how he laid into Wesley Crusher later on in that season about the first duty of a Starfleet officer being truth in its myriad forms, it would be hypocritical of him to let this go.
SicOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 06:39 PM   #22
chrinFinity
Commander

I would think that Section 31 or DTI would be pretty intent on getting their hands on alternate future Yar.

I can see DTI shuffling their feet and agreeing to let the Romulan equivalent agency look after her, but 31 would quite possibly swoop in and fake her death and then recruit her.
Old January 29 2013, 11:54 PM   #23
rfmcdpei
Captain

chrinFinity wrote: View Post
I would think that Section 31 or DTI would be pretty intent on getting their hands on alternate future Yar.

I can see DTI shuffling their feet and agreeing to let the Romulan equivalent agency look after her, but 31 would quite possibly swoop in and fake her death and then recruit her.
Section 31 might want to get its hands on alternate-future Yar, but would it? I wouldn't underestimate the capabilities of Romulan security agencies.

Also, is it possible? Alternate-future Yar is almost certainly dead by the time that Sela alerted him to her biographical particulars, more than 25 years after the battle at Narendra III. Whether she was executed immediately for betraying General Volskiar or whether, removed from his protection, she was rendered for whatever information she might have about the future and then disposed of, is something that we have no way of knowing. (Sela seemed to imply that she was executed immediately, but her account can plausibly be inaccurate: Sela at the time was only four years old, and/or Sela could have been lying, and/or Sela could have been misled.)
Old January 30 2013, 12:02 AM   #24
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

We really can't trust anything Sela says. She's got every reason to lie to Picard.

I can't remember, did anyone do a DNA scan on her to make sure she really was Tasha's daughter?
Old January 30 2013, 01:47 AM   #25
SicOne
Commodore

The whole point of Sela being present was to unnerve Picard, get him to make mistakes that would allow the Romulan resupply of the Duras faction to continue. To that end, I don't necessarily see her sitting still for a DNA sample or anything as overt as what Shinzon did in "Nemesis" (cutting himself with his dagger and then handing same over to Picard for Crusher to run DNA testing on as proof), but she would surely have to know that they'd analyze the hell out of her transporter sequence and compare it with biofiles from Yar's time on board. Regardless of how they would prove it, it would be the height of lameness to have Sela make statements regarding her parentage without having the ability to back it up. Romulans are arrogant, but not stupid.

Well, most of the time, anyway.

I just don't see them executing Yar just like that, as Sela described. Sela was born a year after the events of "Yesterday's Enterprise", she said. I really can't see Volskiar letting the Tal Shiar interrogate her for 2-3 months and then letting him impregnate her, and THEN leaving her to raise Sela in relative peace (gilded cage though it may have been) until she was killed after an abortive escape attempt. Yar was a Starfleet officer with valuable tactical and operational knowledge gained through years of attrition warfare with the Klingons, albeit in another timeline, and you just don't let someone like that out to pasture without very thorough interrogation. I am of the opinion that they told a young Sela that she was executed and then delivered Yar to the Tal Shiar, never to be seen again.

The ultimate fate of the Enterprise-C survivors is equally murky. Though Yar negotiated for their survival, certainly they were subjected to immediate interrogation. I doubt they ended up on some remote colony on a remote planet like the Klingon Khitomer survivors Worf found, as any deal Yar arranged for their safety probably was negated with her death...or "death", as it may be.
SicOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 07:34 PM   #26
Markonian
Captain

2409: Tasha Yar and Empress Sela return, with Denise Crosby reprising her role! *rapture*

At least, to Star Trek Online.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/01/30/st...r-anniversary/

Btw, have I mentioned that I actually play this game?
Old February 3 2013, 02:53 PM   #27
Markonian
Captain

Temporal Ambassador: The Fate of the C.

Temporal Ambassador

Just completed the STO 3rd anniversary mission featuring Denise Crosby as Lt. Tasha Yar and the USS Enterprise-C.

It was a blast and I loved to interact with the iconic characters but also to meet other familiar STO NPCs.

Question: What does Pastak refer to? There's no wiki article about that.