RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,778
Posts: 5,217,109
Members: 24,216
Currently online: 774
Newest member: momogila

TrekToday headlines

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 27 2013, 10:16 PM   #106
YARN
Fleet Captain
 
YARN's Avatar
 
Re: jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

King Daniel wrote: View Post
It's looking more and more like Bad Robot may not be involved in Star Trek XIII....

From trekmovie.com, post #790: http://trekmovie.com/2013/01/24/the-...rs-for-disney/
boborci wrote:
Disappointed is not exact;y the right word. We have been a great band over here, so it’s more bitter sweet when the band may to break up to do other things, simply because we’ve had so much fun. But doing other things is natural and healthy.

I think Star Trek will continue to grow beautifully, with or without us because there are so many people who love this franchise and have great stories to tell.

And to see my friend JJ achieve an impossible dream (cue music) brings genuine joy. He is one of the true good guys in the world.
Well, well, someone who is actually in the know acknowledges that this is a big change and that JJ is moving on to bigger and better things. But don't let that temper your flat denials and blind optimism.

LOL, see post #604 in that thread.

Seems like my "forbidden" metaphor has appeared there too.
YARN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 10:21 PM   #107
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore
 
Jackson_Roykirk's Avatar
 
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Re: jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
YARN wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
In the future all franchises are Disney's.
Here's looking to the next John Carter.
One movie that I wish Disney would give a sequel to.
Did you like the first one, or are you hoping they do a better job the next time around?

Personally, I fondly remember the Edgar Rice Burroughs books (although I haven't read them in years) but didn't really like last year's film version all that much. I would like to see them make a sequel, but hopefully do a better job.
__________________

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 10:22 PM   #108
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral
 
SalvorHardin's Avatar
 
Location: Star's End
View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile
Re: jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

YARN wrote: View Post
Well, well, someone who is actually in the know
You mean someone like the Paramount Vice Chairman?

According to Paramount Vice Chairman Rob Moore, Abrams — who directed both 2009′s “Star Trek” and the upcoming sequel “Star Trek Into Darkness” — will still be involved in some capacity with a possible third “Trek” movie, at the minimum as a producer, if not also directing the film.
Moore also pointed out that Abrams will continue to play a role in another of the studio’s most valuable franchises, “Mission: Impossible.”
http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2013/...-star-trek/#/0
SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 10:34 PM   #109
YARN
Fleet Captain
 
YARN's Avatar
 
Re: jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
YARN wrote: View Post
Well, well, someone who is actually in the know
You mean someone like the Paramount Vice Chairman?

According to Paramount Vice Chairman Rob Moore, Abrams — who directed both 2009′s “Star Trek” and the upcoming sequel “Star Trek Into Darkness” — will still be involved in some capacity with a possible third “Trek” movie, at the minimum as a producer, if not also directing the film.
Moore also pointed out that Abrams will continue to play a role in another of the studio’s most valuable franchises, “Mission: Impossible.”
http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2013/...-star-trek/#/0
Wow, he will be involved "in some capacity" with a "possible" third film as a "producer" (executive, associate, producer in name only?). That statement says very little, really.

I'll take the reluctant testimony of a creative insider than the boiler-plate assurance of a studio suit in damage control mode.
YARN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 10:37 PM   #110
Tom Servo
Commodore
 
Tom Servo's Avatar
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Re: jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

YARN wrote: View Post
SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
YARN wrote: View Post
Well, well, someone who is actually in the know
You mean someone like the Paramount Vice Chairman?

According to Paramount Vice Chairman Rob Moore, Abrams — who directed both 2009′s “Star Trek” and the upcoming sequel “Star Trek Into Darkness” — will still be involved in some capacity with a possible third “Trek” movie, at the minimum as a producer, if not also directing the film.
Moore also pointed out that Abrams will continue to play a role in another of the studio’s most valuable franchises, “Mission: Impossible.”
http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2013/...-star-trek/#/0
Wow, he will be involved "in some capacity" with a "possible" third film as a "producer" (executive, associate, producer in name only?). That statement says very little, really.

I'll take the reluctant testimony of a creative insider than the boiler-plate assurance of a studio suit in damage control mode.
You really like spinning everything just to fit your argument, don't you?
__________________
"I like this ship! It's exciting!"-Scotty "Star Trek"

Member of Red Sox Nation
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 10:41 PM   #111
Anji
Rear Admiral
 
Anji's Avatar
 
Location: Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
View Anji's Twitter Profile
Re: jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

I think its way too soon to say who will be directing future ST or SW movies until the ones that JJ have been contracted to do have been made.

Afterall, the proof is in the pudding. If these movies fail I bet both companies will find a way to release him from these contracts.

I would like say, though, if JJ is doing all these new, hot movies, that doesn't leave any room for any up and coming directors. Which is a pity. Being a creative all my life, I have always believed in giving new talent a chance...it's only fair.

And second, if I was Paramount and I found out what JJ was pulling, he'd be fired plain and simple. Working on these two movies is a conflict of interest and I, as a producer, would feel betrayed. It's about ethics. I'd even do it to Spielberg if did this to me.
__________________
"You may be wrong, but you may be right." - Billy Joel
Anji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 10:47 PM   #112
YARN
Fleet Captain
 
YARN's Avatar
 
Re: jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

Tom Servo wrote: View Post
YARN wrote: View Post
SalvorHardin wrote: View Post

You mean someone like the Paramount Vice Chairman?

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2013/...-star-trek/#/0
Wow, he will be involved "in some capacity" with a "possible" third film as a "producer" (executive, associate, producer in name only?). That statement says very little, really.

I'll take the reluctant testimony of a creative insider than the boiler-plate assurance of a studio suit in damage control mode.
You really like spinning everything just to fit your argument, don't you?
No, I just like being on the right side of the argument.

John Elway, for example, offered a similar noncommittal/lukewarm assurance last year when he stated that Tim Tebow would be the starting quarterback going into training camp for the Broncos. This was as much as he could really say, and even so, they still traded the Tebow-circus to the Jets before training camp.

And reluctant testimony (e.g., Orci) really is more valuable, because it cuts against the grain of the bias of the witness. If mom testifies that her baby is a saint and would never hurt anyone, we shrug, because we expect that mother would be biased to protect her child. When mom, however, reluctantly testifies that her son is violent and vicious, we take note that this is probably true for if she were to lie she would lie in the other direction.

More JJ from same link:

“There were the very early conversations and I quickly said that because of my loyalty to Star Trek, and also just being a fan, I wouldn’t even want to be involved in the next version of those things."


So much for loyalty. But hey, throw me a few million and I'll dump Star Trek as well.
YARN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 10:51 PM   #113
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral
 
Re: jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

From punchbowls to Tebow?

Are you for real?
__________________
I haven't much to say.
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 10:56 PM   #114
Tom Servo
Commodore
 
Tom Servo's Avatar
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Re: jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

YARN wrote: View Post
Tom Servo wrote: View Post
YARN wrote: View Post

Wow, he will be involved "in some capacity" with a "possible" third film as a "producer" (executive, associate, producer in name only?). That statement says very little, really.

I'll take the reluctant testimony of a creative insider than the boiler-plate assurance of a studio suit in damage control mode.
You really like spinning everything just to fit your argument, don't you?
No, I just like being on the right side of the argument.

John Elway, for example, offered a similar noncommittal/lukewarm assurance last year when he stated that Tim Tebow would be the starting quarterback going into training camp for the Broncos. This was as much as he could really say, and even so, they still traded the Tebow-circus to the Jets before training camp.

And reluctant testimony (e.g., Orci) really is more valuable, because it cuts against the grain of the bias of the witness. If mom testifies that her baby is a saint and would never hurt anyone, we shrug, because we expect that mother would be biased to protect her child. When mom, however, reluctantly testifies that her son is violent and vicious, we take note that this is probably true for if she were to lie she would lie in the other direction.
And I could do with Bob Orci's quote the exact same thing you did to the other quote. The simple fact is, we don't know whats going to happen with the third film. Paramount doesn't know. Bob Orci doesn't know. All that IS known is that JJ is under contract with Paramount for a third film in some capacity Period. I would say most likely that JJ won't direct it, and that one of his directorial buddies like Matt Reeves will probably do it, while Abrams produces. Your continued insistence that it's all over and that Bad Robot and JJ are through with Trek, just because you think they are, and so it'll fit your random high school dance analogy, is tiresome.
__________________
"I like this ship! It's exciting!"-Scotty "Star Trek"

Member of Red Sox Nation
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 11:00 PM   #115
YARN
Fleet Captain
 
YARN's Avatar
 
Re: jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
From punchbowls to Tebow?
I know! How dare I use metaphors and examples. It's like I have a life and a knowledge base that exists outside of Star Trek or something.

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Are you for real?
Are you? Do you have anything substantive to say? Or are you going to keep complaining about the form of the argument since it appears you cannot engage with the actual matter of the argument?

_________________________

Tom Served wrote:
And I could do with Bob Orci's quote the exact same thing you did to the other quote.
Then do so. Let's not talk about what you could do. Do it.

Tom Served wrote:
The simple fact is, we don't know whats going to happen with the third film.
To a certainty? No. Can we project what is likely? Yes.

Tom Served wrote:
Paramount doesn't know. Bob Orci doesn't know.
And this in itself would seem to cut against the grain against of that desperate optimism that everything is normal or better than ever.

Tom Served wrote:
All that IS known is that JJ is under contract with Paramount for a third film in some capacity Period.
"In some capacity" - which really shows how tenuously he is now linked with the film.

Tom Served wrote:
I would say most likely that JJ won't direct it,
There you go! We can say things after all! We have exceeded the "Period!" you so adamantly announced in the prior sentence. And I happen to agree with this prediction.

Tom Served wrote:
and that one of his directorial buddies like Matt Reeves will probably do it, while Abrams produces. Your continued insistence that it's all over and that Bad Robot and JJ are through with Trek,
When did I say this? Exactly? Hmm? I said that JJ will now be substantively focused on Star Wars. Your prediction coincided with my own. Why are we arguing?

Tom Served wrote:
just because you think they are, and so it'll fit your random high school dance analogy, is tiresome.
My argument does not stand on any metaphor, rather a metaphor serves to elucidate a relationship by comparison. It makes what should be obvious to others more perspicuous.

Last edited by YARN; January 27 2013 at 11:16 PM.
YARN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 11:21 PM   #116
Photoman15
Fleet Captain
 
Photoman15's Avatar
 
Location: The sunny shores of Trenzalore
Re: jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

Anji wrote: View Post
I think its way too soon to say who will be directing future ST or SW movies until the ones that JJ have been contracted to do have been made.

Afterall, the proof is in the pudding. If these movies fail I bet both companies will find a way to release him from these contracts.

I would like say, though, if JJ is doing all these new, hot movies, that doesn't leave any room for any up and coming directors. Which is a pity. Being a creative all my life, I have always believed in giving new talent a chance...it's only fair.

And second, if I was Paramount and I found out what JJ was pulling, he'd be fired plain and simple. Working on these two movies is a conflict of interest and I, as a producer, would feel betrayed. It's about ethics. I'd even do it to Spielberg if did this to me.
How do you figure this is a conflict of interest? Maybe to nerds around the world who can't like both ST & SW, but not to movie studios.
Directors are never tied down to one studio.
And it looks as if Bad Robot will still be co-producing the next Trek film (if there is one, and I assume there will be). No conflict of interest.
__________________
I refuse to put a signature here!
oh...uh...ummm
Photoman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 11:26 PM   #117
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

Hell, Abrams was employed by Disney (working on Lost) when he first worked with Paramount on Mission Impossible and then moved onto Trek. Nothing new here, really.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 11:32 PM   #118
YARN
Fleet Captain
 
YARN's Avatar
 
Re: jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

Photoman15 wrote: View Post
Anji wrote: View Post
I think its way too soon to say who will be directing future ST or SW movies until the ones that JJ have been contracted to do have been made.

Afterall, the proof is in the pudding. If these movies fail I bet both companies will find a way to release him from these contracts.

I would like say, though, if JJ is doing all these new, hot movies, that doesn't leave any room for any up and coming directors. Which is a pity. Being a creative all my life, I have always believed in giving new talent a chance...it's only fair.

And second, if I was Paramount and I found out what JJ was pulling, he'd be fired plain and simple. Working on these two movies is a conflict of interest and I, as a producer, would feel betrayed. It's about ethics. I'd even do it to Spielberg if did this to me.
How do you figure this is a conflict of interest? Maybe to nerds around the world who can't like both ST & SW, but not to movie studios.
Directors are never tied down to one studio.
And it looks as if Bad Robot will still be co-producing the next Trek film (if there is one, and I assume there will be). No conflict of interest.
TMP was made (rather than a new series) because Paramount wanted to compete with 20th Century Fox's hot new property. The whole reason Trek got into the film business was to compete with Star Wars.

Star Trek and Star Wars are most visible and lucrative sci-fi franchises in history. They are the Coke and Pepsi of Sci-Fi. Would it be a conflict of interest if the Chairman of marketing ofr Pepsi announced that he would be helming Coke's new marketing campaign?

There is an argument to be had that it is an ethical conflict of interest.

My contention, however, is that what really matters is that it does amount to a conflict in terms of time, creativity, and attention. Star Wars is HUGE. JJ will really need to focus on this property. Ethical or not, there are only so many hours in a day.
YARN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 11:53 PM   #119
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral
 
Re: jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

YARN wrote: View Post
I know! How dare I use metaphors and examples.
Well conceived metaphors and analogies are always welcome.
It's like I have a life and a knowledge base that exists outside of Star Trek or something.
Good for you.

Are you? Do you have anything substantive to say? Or are you going to keep complaining about the form of the argument since it appears you cannot engage with the actual matter of the argument?
I engage plenty, and I attribute as much matter and substance as the argument necessitates, which is to say none.

My argument does not stand on any metaphor, rather a metaphor serves to elucidate a relationship by comparison. It makes what should be obvious to others more perspicuous.
Your argument doesn't stand on anything. That's the whole problem. You've made an ostentatious show of crying over the spilt milk. You can blame the cat, the wind, or Sid the wily dairy gnome. In the end you have to clean up and move on. The rest of us did that on Friday. Yet you continue to play the victim where there was no crime. Now the shit has curdled on the floor.

Move on, dude and find something better to occupy your time. At the very least, you can always hang with Tebow by the punchbowl and watch Sanchez do the tango with his career.
__________________
I haven't much to say.
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 11:55 PM   #120
royalfan5
Fleet Captain
 
royalfan5's Avatar
 
Location: Lincoln, NE
Re: jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

Except that Coke and Pepsi are perpetually locked in competition against each other in a wide variety of places at all times. A Trek Film and A Wars Film will likely never be released in anything resembling the same time slot. Plus, it's not like people are out there thinking that in the next two years I am only going to see one Sci-Fi movie, because the same guy is directing both.
__________________
Trouble Ahead, Trouble Behind.
royalfan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.