Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old January 27 2013, 02:36 AM   #151
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

Re: Officially no series 8 in 2013

Y'know honestly I think Moffat could never hack doing an American TV series that's one thing that's for certain. I mean most of the hour long dramas run at least 15-23 episodes a SEASON - which is really like August/September until about May and then it starts up again. So the fact that in one year - one FULL year he only managed 6 episodes and a Christmas special. That's... kind of sad. While yes, there are SFX to worry about - it's still not THAT much of an effects driven show. Not like say, Star Trek or Stargate and even they still managed to put in 20-some odd episodes.

I mean when you have a show that's getting some steady interest - you don't just put out seven episodes in one year and expect people to flock to it when it does return.

Say what you will about Davies, at least you still got 13 episodes a year plus the specials.
Old January 27 2013, 02:39 AM   #152
diankra
Commodore

Nick, it's got nothing to do with the relative talents of Moffat and RTD... it's all about decisions higher up in the BBC. If he was still here, Russell would be coming out with the same BS about 'best year ever' while knowing no-one believed him.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 02:45 AM   #153
The Wormhole
Admiral

Lance wrote: View Post
To be honest, I think they'd be better off simply admitting that Doctor Who only has six episodes each series from now on. None of this 'Series "x" Part "x"!' business.
Honestly, any show that does split seasons should just start referring to each block as its own season as opposed to season x part x. Especially with American shows that split twenty episode seasons into two blocks of ten. Each block of ten should just be its own season. Hell, there are quite a few shows which do only have ten episode seasons anyway.
Old January 27 2013, 03:07 AM   #154
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

But my point being - during the RTD era you had like 2 other series running - Torchwood and Sarah Jane Adventures. So I could understand the necessity to have shorter seasons and maybe even split it up a bit.

Now there's just Dr. Who and that's really it.

I have this really bad feeling that BBC is going to let Who die again like they did in the 90s, they'll milk it for all the merchandising and such they can get but not produce anything new after Smith's run is over. Even though the series has run for 50 years which is amazing
Old January 27 2013, 03:50 AM   #155
Lance
Fleet Captain

Nick Ryder wrote: View Post
But my point being - during the RTD era you had like 2 other series running - Torchwood and Sarah Jane Adventures. So I could understand the necessity to have shorter seasons and maybe even split it up a bit.

Now there's just Dr. Who and that's really it.
Absolutely. There is simply no excuse.

Edit: I think what gets me the most is exactly what has bugged a few others: a 60 minute 'special' simply isn't special enough for a 50th anniversary. Any other show, yes. But a half century is a fucking milestone that deserves far more respect than an episode with an identical running time to your average end-of-year Christmas episode. Especially given we're getting fuck all in terms of other output in the same year. They can't stump up just that bit more cash for this monumental occasion? I call bullshit on that.

Last edited by Lance; January 27 2013 at 11:06 AM.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 07:02 AM   #156
Australis
Writer

I have to agree that the 50th Special being 1x 60min is a piss poor effort. The BBC, from Moffat to the very top, should have taken it a lot more seriously.

And it is quite within their ability to spend more money on this show, it's just a matter of allocation.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 02:45 PM   #157
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Lance wrote: View Post
To be honest, I think they'd be better off simply admitting that Doctor Who only has six episodes each series from now on. None of this 'Series "x" Part "x"!' business.
Honestly, any show that does split seasons should just start referring to each block as its own season as opposed to season x part x.
I was surprised when the last DVD came out and it was called "Series Seven, Part One." The reason I was surprised was that BBC Worldwide had told merchandisers and marketers last summer (and I have the e-mails at work) that the Pond episodes were "Series 7" and the JLC episodes were "Series 8."

But plans change. *shrug*

Underground Toys uses wording like "the 2013 series" in their materials. DWM uses similar terminology. While it would be nice to have an approved style guide, the terminology used doesn't matter so much as the punters understand what they're buying and that it's what they want.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 08:19 PM   #158
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

Well really this next "series" is pretty different compared to the previous 6 episodes that it really shouldn't be referred to as anything but a series unto itself. I mean it'd be like during Tennant's run for him to lose Rose, and then change the Tardis and everything and expect people to consider everything After Rose to be a "new series"
Old January 27 2013, 08:35 PM   #159
StalwartUK
Commander

Wouldn't surprise me if after the 50th shorter series become the norm.

Speculation: What if the 50th Anniversary Special is the Christmas Special? Just moved forward a month or so.
Old January 27 2013, 08:40 PM   #160
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Nick Ryder wrote: View Post
Well really this next "series" is pretty different compared to the previous 6 episodes that it really shouldn't be referred to as anything but a series unto itself.
I completely agree with you, which is why I was excited that Worldwide was going to call it "Series 8." Until they decided not to.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 10:48 PM   #161
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Snick27 wrote: View Post
Regarding the 50th.

Something like this you dont screw up. You have Baker, Davidson, Other Baker, McCoy, McGann nearing the end of their lives, and to piss this away for any reason just defeats the whole point of celibrating the 50th.
Say what? Since when is 53 (Paul McGann) and 61 (Davison) considered to be "nearing the end of their life"? The Bakers and McCoy at 69 and older, yes, definitely a legitimate concern that the opportunity may not arise again.

Not to say McGann or Davison are immune from dying/becoming incapacitated before a future opportunity arises, and I definitely want as many opportunities to see them all while they are alive as possible, but, to call call 53 and 61 "Nearing the end of their lives" is WAY over the top (Unless you know of some specific health threat they have, which I'm unaware of). Yes, I'm aware of Mary Tamm, Elisabeth Sladen and Caroline John the last few years, but, those are exceptions

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 01:35 AM   #162
diankra
Commodore

Well, Davison is only six years off hitting 67, which is when Hartnell and Troughton both died, but as four Docors have now passed it safely(and the one who's passed on lasted another 10 years, superstitious worries about that have gone the way to 'The Rule of Five' .
The Rule of Five was based on the idea that only so many Doctors could be alive at any one time. Initially sparked off by William Hartnell dying midway through Tom Baker's first season, it took on a life of its own when Troughton died between Sylvester being cast and transmission of his first episode, and Pertwee then passed on the same way just before the McGann movie went out.
Fortunately, the pattern has been broken. But some of us were really worried back in early 2005...
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 02:52 AM   #163
StCoop
Commodore

Let's be clear here. The BBC are losing millions and million of pounds by not having a full series of Doctor Who last year and this year at a time when they need the money more than ever.

They're not the ones respsonsible for this situation except to the extent that they seem afraid to step in and get Moffat to either shape up or ship out.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 12:10 PM   #164
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

How are the BBC not responsible?
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 01:37 PM   #165
Starkers
Admiral

DalekJim wrote: View Post
How are the BBC not responsible?
They are responsible, whichever way you look at it, either for cutting funding and messing Moffat about, or by not dealing with the situation if it is Moffat's doing. To suggest its not the BBC's fault in any way is to imply Moffat is some kind of evil manipulative genius who makes Jimmy Savile look like an amateur (in the pulling wool over people's eyes, not messing with kids kind of way obviously!)

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote