Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old January 25 2013, 07:37 PM   #61
Bigjoe
Lieutenant Commander

Re: arrrgh!!!!!!!!

Well a lorry reversed into the rear of my car in the work yard.

That is my rant for the day.
Bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2013, 10:22 AM   #62
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

aww, that sucks! Can the car be repaired or is it damaged too badly?
Old January 26 2013, 03:42 PM   #63
Bigjoe
Lieutenant Commander

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
Thankfully only the boot needs replacing. Still going to cost nearly a £1000 for repair and respray.
Old January 26 2013, 03:51 PM   #64
Retu
Lieutenant Commander

Bigjoe wrote: View Post
Thankfully only the boot needs replacing. Still going to cost nearly a £1000 for repair and respray.
Car repairs are expensive. I managed to break the plastic back cover of a side mirror in my car. Replacing that alone cost me 150 euros. A small piece of plastic.
-Sir William Bragg
Retu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2013, 03:56 PM   #65
Bigjoe
Lieutenant Commander

Retu wrote: View Post
Car repairs are expensive. I managed to break the plastic back cover of a side mirror in my car. Replacing that alone cost me 150 euros. A small piece of plastic.
I wouldn't have minded so much if I had caused the damage myself. Not sure how people can just drive off knowing what damage they have caused.
Old January 27 2013, 08:43 AM   #66
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

^Retu, next time have a look at a junk metal place. They often sell used car parts at a very low place

Today's Arrrgh: the central heating appears to be out of order. Fortunately, my place is well isolated and if by tonight it's too cold I'll take my hamster and my folding bed to my office (where the heating works perfectly )
Old January 27 2013, 10:25 AM   #67
Ghost07
Vice Admiral

We've been 2 weeks without hot water! The first couple times, they tried fixing it with a bandaid...NOW they finally called a plumber. Management didn't like having to spend actual money on repairs...the hot water thingy sounds like it might explode any second.

Well, yesterday afternoon, they said it was fixed; we'll see if it works today. Personally, I refuse to shower in freezing water.

Do not worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia...Charles Schulz

LJ
Ghost07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 10:42 AM   #68
Retu
Lieutenant Commander

^Retu, next time have a look at a junk metal place. They often sell used car parts at a very low place

Today's Arrrgh: the central heating appears to be out of order. Fortunately, my place is well isolated and if by tonight it's too cold I'll take my hamster and my folding bed to my office (where the heating works perfectly )
Yeah, I could've done that, but there aren't many junkyards where I live. Also plastic parts are a bit iffy to get second hand. At least those that are secured in place just by pushing it in. Usually one or more of the fastening clips are broken off. And I got the matching color.

We also had problems with heat last week. There was an outage in the local power plant which caused the district heating to shut off. It also caused a pressure fluctuation in the heating pipes, causing one of them to burst. So not only we didn't have any heat, the street was also flooded with boiling bright green water.
-Sir William Bragg
Old January 27 2013, 09:22 PM   #69
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

green?? Oh, I see! You have copper pipes. Pretty dangerous stuff - the green is Copper Oxide which can turn into Copper Sulfate. The latter is poisonous.

Poor Ghostie!!! Do you have a water cooker? That'd give at least enough hot water for washing, though not for showering.
It's quite a scandal imo that they didn't repair ist earlier. The noises might possibly come from air bubbles still caught in the tubes. They should gradually come out within a few days.

Fortunately, my heating revived again in the late afternoon. Not full strength and only on one side of the house but it's better than nothing (at least it's the right half: the one with my bedroom ). I have a suspicion that it's an emergency system that doesn't have the full strength.
Fortunately, the appartments on the top of the block and the mall at the lower 2 floors are both sevred by teh same heating system, so that I am reasonably confident the repair will go fast. Nobody shops in a cold mall so that every delay costs them a lot of profit.
Old January 27 2013, 09:59 PM   #70
Retu
Lieutenant Commander

green?? Oh, I see! You have copper pipes. Pretty dangerous stuff - the green is Copper Oxide which can turn into Copper Sulfate. The latter is poisonous.
Nah, the green is just slightly fluorescent dye they put in the water used in district heating. Makes leak detection easier. It's completely non-toxic. Of course I wouldn't recommend drinking the water since it has been circulating in those pipes for quite a long time.
-Sir William Bragg
Old January 27 2013, 10:44 PM   #71
MacLeod
Admiral

Doesn't the Lorry drivers insurance cover the cost of repairs?
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 06:05 AM   #72
B.J.
Rear Admiral

Okay, this whole conversation on heating had me confused until I looked up "district heating". Never heard of that until today. Everywhere I've lived, each house/unit/whatever has had its own heating/AC system.
Old January 28 2013, 10:56 AM   #73
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

we have quite a lot of it here in Germany. Most wastewater treatment facilities collect the sludge and let it ferment in order to produce gas. As a side effect the fermentation also gives off a lot if heat which is used to heat both the facility and any nearby houses, hospitals, schools etc.
In an asparagus farming area in my region they even give some asparagus beds a floor heating, resulting in an earlier harvest. In my opinion his practice is rather irresponsible as long as there are humans who can hardly afford proper heating. I therefore boycot this unnaturally grown asparagus and rather wait 4 weeks longer for the real thing (which is tastier anyway)
Old January 28 2013, 07:59 PM   #74
trekkiedane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane

District heating is the norm in Denmark, just saying.
Old January 28 2013, 08:17 PM   #75
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile

I ran out of gas again.
Normally I put on £10 a week and I still have a a little bit left when I top up again.
With the recent cold snap I excepted it to run out a little sooner than normal , but I topped up on Thursday and it ran out today.
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."
Serial thread killer is offline   Reply With Quote