RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,722
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 780
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old January 24 2013, 02:49 AM   #31
Peacemaker
Vice Admiral

Re: Classic Who on BBC America

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Anji wrote: View Post
Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Interesting, and a surprising choice. I'd think they'd play it safe with some Tom Baker initially. It's what they used to play when they had classic Who back in the day.
True! PBS stations which were running the Doctor back in the 80s would only go as far back as Pertwee.
Not true! I saw some Hartnells on West Virginia Public Television in the late 80s.
Same in NC. I was a huge, big honking deal when we got William Hartnell. Wow, we worked hard to get those episodes too, and we were proud here to have the full run of Doctors.

DJ Mark Bisson

Say my name, and every color illuminates!
Peacemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 03:27 AM   #32
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Interesting, and a surprising choice. I'd think they'd play it safe with some Tom Baker initially. It's what they used to play when they had classic Who back in the day.
True! PBS stations which were running the Doctor back in th 80s would only go as far back as Pertwee.

But the truth is, even back then, there was an interest in both Hartnell and Troughton episodes. All any network executive had to do was attend a convention and see how many people attended and sat through the entire version of "War Games." Heck, i knew people who went into that video room with their pajamas on! (They always showed "War Games" after 10 p.m.)

You can't appreciate the latter Doctors without seeing those who went before them and I wish BBCA would realize that we feel that way.
I saw Hartnell and Troughton on KRMA in Denver back in the 80s. So, some stations showed them.

I also disagree that you can't enjoy the latter Doctors without seeing the earlier Doctors. Sure you can! It's not like it's required viewing! I happen to love all the Doctors. But surely people can enjoy the new ones without seeing the old. In fact, if I were to introduce someone to DW, I would specifically start with the new. If they like it, I'd suggest that they might also like the classics series. But, I certainly wouldn't start there.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 05:54 AM   #33
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

BTW, does next Sunday mean Super Bowl Sunday?
Old January 24 2013, 11:56 AM   #34
DWF
Vice Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
BTW, does next Sunday mean Super Bowl Sunday?
No, Super Bowl Sunday is Feb. 3 this'll be on this Sunday the 27th.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 03:12 PM   #35
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

OK, "next" is often ambiguous so I wanted to check.
Old January 24 2013, 06:11 PM   #36
diankra
Commodore

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
I saw Hartnell and Troughton on KRMA in Denver back in the 80s. So, some stations showed them.
Just to clear the history up, BBC Enterprises offered a package of Hartnell and Troughton stories to the American PBS stations in 1985/6, because the cancellation/postponement of season 23 meant they didn't have any new episodes to release, and they needed something fresh to keep sales ticking over.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 04:15 PM   #37
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

True! PBS stations which were running the Doctor back in the 80s would only go as far back as Pertwee.
Not true! I saw some Hartnells on West Virginia Public Television in the late 80s.
Yea, San Jose CA PBS station, after obtaining all the available later Doctors, went back and did all the available Hartnell and Troughton.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 11:51 PM   #38
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

I'm kind of glad to see BBCA trying to at least show some of the history of Dr Who - athough it would be nice if some of the "classic" stories would also tie into some of the stuff they're doing with the current "Series" - like maybe show the episode with the Great Intelligence, or something with the early Daleks and Cybermen - stuff that would show newer fans of the show that these did have roots as far back as the 60s. I mean I only really got into Dr. Who shortly after Thanksgiving of this past year and now I'm already a big fan after watching all of 9th, 10th and a good part of 11's run so far - I'm kind of spacing myself out with 11 since it'll be a while before any "new" Dr. Who shows up and I don't want to feel like "aww... that's it?" since I don't want to get too much "classic" Who in just yet - since I know after this next Series ends, who knows how long it'll be before there's anything else and I want something to watch after that LOL
Old January 27 2013, 11:56 PM   #39
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

I saw Hartnell and Troughton and Pertwee on WGBH out of Boston in the mid-late 80s when I became a fan... GBH is a flagship station and they had the cash. The local one in Hartford did Baker as well.
Klaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 11:59 PM   #40
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

Just checked my channel guide on my cablebox - gonna be like a three hour thing - so that should be interesting.
Old January 28 2013, 12:34 AM   #41
Christopher
Writer

Nick Ryder wrote: View Post
I'm kind of glad to see BBCA trying to at least show some of the history of Dr Who - athough it would be nice if some of the "classic" stories would also tie into some of the stuff they're doing with the current "Series" - like maybe show the episode with the Great Intelligence...
Not possible. The two Yeti/Great Intelligence serials are almost completely lost; "The Abominable Snowmen" and "The Web of Fear" were both 6 episodes long and each has only one surviving episode (episode 2 of the former and episode 1 of the latter).

Nick Ryder wrote: View Post
Just checked my channel guide on my cablebox - gonna be like a three hour thing - so that should be interesting.
Which is interesting, since "The Aztecs" is only 100 minutes long, which, given modern ratios of content to commercial time, would take up maybe two and a quarter hours. I gather that the serial will be preceded with a documentary overview of the Hartnell era.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 04:10 AM   #42
Mr Light
Admiral

I'm taping it, but when I looked in on it, it looked like a talking heads documentary was constantly intercutting the episode. If that's true, that sounds annoying, like it would totally destroy being "into" the episode...

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 04:12 AM   #43
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

What is this? No monsters, and no UST or flirting from the Doctor, I'm not even sure anyone has ran down a corridor, this isn't Doctor Who!

EDIT I may have to retract my flirting comment, didn't think ol' Billy had it in him

Last edited by Mr. Adventure; January 28 2013 at 04:23 AM.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 04:20 AM   #44
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Yea, San Jose CA PBS station, after obtaining all the available later Doctors, went back and did all the available Hartnell and Troughton.
Good old KTEH. I manned the phones for them once.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 04:28 AM   #45
Christopher
Writer

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I'm taping it, but when I looked in on it, it looked like a talking heads documentary was constantly intercutting the episode. If that's true, that sounds annoying, like it would totally destroy being "into" the episode...
No, the documentary came first, lasting about 35-40 minutes, and then there was a Moffat intro, and then "The Aztecs" with no interruptions except commercials.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote