Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 24 2013, 08:46 PM   #16
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Re: The Following Kevin Bacon Kevin Williamson S1 Discussion SPOILERS

I'm sure they'll explain why over the course of the season. I'm sure that they didn't want to blow that wad right away in the pilot.
Old January 25 2013, 01:03 AM   #17
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Yeah. It's really not that big of a deal. He killed people because he thought it was beautiful.

Or maybe he started killing when Kevin Bacon's character started banging his wife.
Old January 25 2013, 03:44 AM   #18
sojourner
Admiral

The killings started before Bacon's character met the wife. He met with her to consult on motivation.
Old January 26 2013, 01:33 AM   #19
davejames
Vice Admiral

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
I thought it was ok. I watch a lot of crime dramas, and I was thoroughly underwhelmed by this. For something that's been getting a lot of press and has Kevin Bacon, I just expected a lot more.
Same here. It's certainly well made and looks great... but I'm just freakin bored to death of serial killers by now, and watching damaged cops/detectives/agents chase them down with their super sexy partners and quirky, comic relief tech guys.

It's nothing I haven't seen in a thousand other cop shows and movies.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2013, 10:34 PM   #20
Roger Wilco
Admiral

stj wrote: View Post
Yet another villain whose plan is to get captured. I'm so past being able to accept that one it's not funny. I'm going to try the second pilot, i.e., the first regular series episode. Purefoy doesn't convince us that he's smart enough to plan this crap. And since he's apparently just going to rant and emote at Kevin Bacon, the show is going to rise or fall on its temp characters, the titular Following, the Carroll cultists. If they're believable and interesting, the show might overcome its bloodlust. The gore is a turnoff, it's not entertaining.
His "plan" wasn't getting captured. Realistically, getting captured is inevitable for someone like him, in the USA in 2013, so he accepted that from the start, after doing what he set out to do.

I'm not fully buying into the show yet either though.
Old January 27 2013, 05:58 AM   #21
degra
Fleet Captain

not very good. Pretty standard cop show stuff,,,drunk troubled cop, a villain who has a personal axe to grind with his pursuer, bland supporting cast of cop characters, obvious twists like the child being really ryans and next week we get the shrink to analyze everyone. Yawn,,,the critics raved over this I guess their standards have been lowered by the years of crap networks have churned out that any mediocre drek like this seems like Shakespeare to them.
degra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 09:13 AM   #22
Borgminister

Upgraded to guilty pleasure... but not much more. Remake of Cape Fear was much better.
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 05:55 PM   #23
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

My love for the show is fading. When the bad guy cop got past 50 cops again I almost shut it off. The did that in the first episode, they do it again I'm gone.
Old January 29 2013, 06:47 PM   #24
Eduardo
Commander

About the end of the episode, I think that the guy that was set on fire said something on the phone about "Talk to my editor", before going to the food stand.

My bet? One of the people that gave a bad review to Carroll's book.
Old January 29 2013, 10:36 PM   #25
degra
Fleet Captain

watched the second episode it was just as stale and formulaic as the pilot,,,I'm not wasting anymore time on just another crime drama that brings absolutely nothing new.

this has been a horrible tv season,,,there is nothing worth watching,,,I guess that just leaves do no harm and cult,,,hopefully they will be entertaining.
Old January 29 2013, 10:58 PM   #26
jayceee
Commander

degra wrote: View Post
not very good. Pretty standard cop show stuff,,,drunk troubled cop, a villain who has a personal axe to grind with his pursuer, bland supporting cast of cop characters, obvious twists like the child being really ryans and next week we get the shrink to analyze everyone. Yawn,,,the critics raved over this I guess their standards have been lowered by the years of crap networks have churned out that any mediocre drek like this seems like Shakespeare to them.
My first thought, was that this show was "too little too late".

I probably could have got into this show if it was on a decade ago, before a huge proliferation of other procedural shows (ie. CSI franchise expansions, NCIS franchise, Criminal Minds, The Closer, Lie To Me, etc ...). Back then, I thought the Law & Order franchise expanding to SVU and Criminal Intent, was already too much for me to follow.

watched the second episode it was just as stale and formulaic as the pilot,,,I'm not wasting anymore time on just another crime drama that brings absolutely nothing new.

this has been a horrible tv season,,,there is nothing worth watching,,,I guess that just leaves do no harm and cult,,,hopefully they will be entertaining.
I would have to agree too, of this season's shows I watch and/or tried to watch.

- Fringe season 5 seemed kinda lackluster, with very little to no resemblance to previous seasons.

- Nikita season 3 doesn't seem as exciting as season 2.

- Hawaii Five-0 season 3 seems like it's repeating the same formula over and over the entire time. (Sorta like Dukes of Hazzard cranking out the same formula over and over again for seven seasons back in the early 1980's).

- Person of Interest season 2 seems kinda lackluster, compared to season 1. (I thought season 1 was outstanding).
jayceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 12:28 AM   #27
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

The ratings went up. The first show of the year to have better ratings in it's second episode than the first.
Old January 30 2013, 03:05 AM   #28
degra
Fleet Captain

yep, Jaycee. Vampire diaries this season already cemented what I already knew last season that it sucks under Julie plec. Supernatural hasn't been entertaining since season five. Nashville sucked,,,soaps are suppose to be fun and exciting not a bore.

it seems tv anymore recycles formula we've seen before and better ten or twenty years ago or they are convoluted serialized dramas with a premise that is far too limiting,,,deception, revolution, last resort, Alcatraz, the event etc.
Old January 30 2013, 03:33 AM   #29
jayceee
Commander

it seems tv anymore recycles formula we've seen before and better ten or twenty years ago
Some of these formulas from ten or twenty years ago, were not always better or even good in hindsight. Sometimes stuff which I thought was cool when I was younger, turned out to be kinda mundane or even outright boring when I watch them now. Nostalgia is not always what it turns out to be.

Last edited by jayceee; January 30 2013 at 05:34 PM.
jayceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 03:37 AM   #30
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

yep, Jaycee. Vampire diaries this season already cemented what I already knew last season that it sucks under Julie plec. Supernatural hasn't been entertaining since season five. Nashville sucked,,,soaps are suppose to be fun and exciting not a bore.

it seems tv anymore recycles formula we've seen before and better ten or twenty years ago or they are convoluted serialized dramas with a premise that is far too limiting,,,deception, revolution, last resort, Alcatraz, the event etc.

I suggest Scandal, it's loads of crazy soapy fun.