Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old January 22 2013, 04:15 AM   #2476
TJ Sinclair
Captain

Re: Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

Paris wrote: View Post
TJ Sinclair wrote: View Post
...Ael t'Rllaillieu ... Arrhae ...K's't'lk ...Ael ...Arrahe

Is there anywhere i can get some phonetic pronunciations of the various Rihannsu characters?
Considering the preponderance of Rihannsu-based fan sites, I'm sure there's something out there. I couldn't tell you where, but Google probably could.

Alternatively, you could ask Diane Duane herself via her blog.
Old January 22 2013, 04:39 AM   #2477
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I just had a thought for Naraht's voice: Pablo Francisco, the comedian, doing his 'Movie Preview' voice.

I would have suggested Don LaFontaine himself but unfortunately he passed away several years ago
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 06:57 PM   #2478
TJ Sinclair
Captain

Okay, I think I've settled on CCH Pounder for Asarem Wadeen.
Old January 24 2013, 11:12 PM   #2479
JD
Admiral

I could see that working.
Old January 26 2013, 08:03 PM   #2480
TJ Sinclair
Captain

Okay, I suppose this one is rather obvious, but it only just occurred to me. Liam Hemsworth as Peter Kirk in Sarek.

Unless he might be too young, as I recall Peter was supposed to be older than the average cadet at the time of that novel...
Old January 26 2013, 08:08 PM   #2481
Christopher
Writer

Well, Sarek is set in 2293, about 26 years after "Operation: Annihilate," so Peter would've been around 38 or so at the time. According to Wikipedia, Liam Hemsworth is only 23.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2013, 08:30 PM   #2482
TJ Sinclair
Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
Well, Sarek is set in 2293, about 26 years after "Operation: Annihilate," so Peter would've been around 38 or so at the time. According to Wikipedia, Liam Hemsworth is only 23.
Christopher, he's Chris Hemworth's brother. That was why it came to mind.

I know Peter's age was explicitly mentioned in Sarek, but it's been too long since I read it and I don't have access to my collection at the moment. I could've sworn the book said he was 28 either at the time or when he joined the Academy, but that would've only made him about 2 in "Operation: Annihilate!" so that doesn't make any sense...
Old January 26 2013, 08:48 PM   #2483
Christopher
Writer

Yes, I guessed that even before I looked him up. If you propose someone named Hemsworth to play a relative of George Kirk, it doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure out why.

(And I thought I'd never heard of him, but then I saw he was Gale in The Hunger Games, which I have seen.)

I know Peter's age was explicitly mentioned in Sarek, but it's been too long since I read it and I don't have access to my collection at the moment. I could've sworn the book said he was 28 either at the time or when he joined the Academy, but that would've only made him about 2 in "Operation: Annihilate!" so that doesn't make any sense...
It says he was 7 when he lost his parents and is 32 at the time of the book. A bit of a retcon, but I guess O:A never really specified how old Peter was supposed to be. I based my estimate of Peter's age on the actor's age at the time.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2013, 08:59 PM   #2484
TJ Sinclair
Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
Yes, I guessed that even before I looked him up. If you propose someone named Hemsworth to play a relative of George Kirk, it doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure out why.

(And I thought I'd never heard of him, but then I saw he was Gale in The Hunger Games, which I have seen.)
...sigh... Sometimes I forget your unrelenting penchant for exactitude.

In any event, he was also in The Expendables 2, in a significant but relatively minor role that was originally intended for first film but was cut.

It says he was 7 when he lost his parents and is 32 at the time of the book. A bit of a retcon, but I guess O:A never really specified how old Peter was supposed to be. I based my estimate of Peter's age on the actor's age at the time.
Okay, so yeah, 28 when he entered the Academy, then. I knew I remembered that age for a reason.

I suppose it could be a simple enough retcon to make the character in Sarek one of Peter's brothers instead, but I think that would rob the story of some of its punch, at least.
Old January 26 2013, 09:45 PM   #2485
WarsTrek1993
Captain

Does anyone else like the idea of Daniel Craig as a young Robert April?
WarsTrek1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2013, 10:01 PM   #2486
TJ Sinclair
Captain

WarsTrek1993 wrote: View Post
Uhm, not me.Seems utterly antithetical to the character, actually.

Unless nu-Trek April turns out to be radically different than previous interpretations of the character.
Old January 26 2013, 11:54 PM   #2487
Markonian
Captain

Unless nu-Trek April turns out to be radically different than previous interpretations of the character.
You mean, as in evily roaming around pre-warp civilisations?
Old January 27 2013, 12:05 AM   #2488
TJ Sinclair
Captain

Markonian wrote: View Post

You mean, as in evily roaming around pre-warp civilisations?
I was thinking "a badass John Gill," myself.
Old February 1 2013, 12:53 AM   #2489
WarsTrek1993
Captain

While I'm reading Section 31: Abyss for the first time, I can't stop picturing William Fichtner as Dr. Ethan Locken, with Cillian Murphy as an alternative.
WarsTrek1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 07:27 PM   #2490
Lee Son of Pete
Lieutenant Junior Grade

View Lee Son of Pete's Twitter Profile

I know this wont mean much to any of you, but there's a bloke drinks in the Unicorn in Eccles that would make a fantastic Elias Vaughan.
Lee Son of Pete is offline   Reply With Quote