A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old January 26 2013, 02:20 AM   #181
trampledamage
Clone

Re: Going Veggie

Had a go at making this coconut vegetarian curry today - it was nice enough but it had too much potato and not really enough of anything else!

Any suggestions on how to make it more coconutty? Or things to add to it that'll taste nice in the curry?

And he says that like it's a bad thing...
trampledamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2013, 02:41 AM   #182
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

trampledamage wrote: View Post
Had a go at making this coconut vegetarian curry today - it was nice enough but it had too much potato and not really enough of anything else!

Any suggestions on how to make it more coconutty? Or things to add to it that'll taste nice in the curry?
I would replace the russets with red potatoes. Maybe cut back on the coconut milk and use from fresh coconut instead. You could also try a dash of cinnamon.
Old January 26 2013, 03:20 AM   #183
trampledamage
Clone

Good suggestions- thanks! I like cinnamon, I'll definitely add that next time

Old January 26 2013, 11:34 AM   #184
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher

Did some Rattatouile a la Remy last night (i.e. the rattatouile from "Rattatouile"):

Two things became evident, I really shouldn't have put in those extra tomato slices, they didn't really work. Also I'm not a huge fan of Aubergine. Zucchini I now officially love though.
Old January 26 2013, 11:50 AM   #185
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Location: Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space station

^Is this baked, or what? Looks yummy, but I have no idea how to cook it.

"Reagan, it appears, is really only an ardent unionist if the unions in question are in Poland" - Stephen King, Skeleton Crew
Gul Re'jal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2013, 02:36 PM   #186
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher

Yup. Here's the recipe: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2007/...ee-for-you-ee/
Old January 26 2013, 04:01 PM   #187
trampledamage
Clone

that looks delicious! I've been meaning to give Ratatouille a try - having seen the movie.

Old January 26 2013, 04:53 PM   #188
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Emher wrote: View Post
Did some Rattatouile a la Remy last night (i.e. the rattatouile from "Rattatouile"):

Two things became evident, I really shouldn't have put in those extra tomato slices, they didn't really work. Also I'm not a huge fan of Aubergine. Zucchini I now officially love though.
Not a fan of aubergine? What is WRONG WITH YOU?! It is only the finests veg on the planet!

I do understand, it has an unusual texture, and can be rubbery if it's not cooked properly. If you ever feel like giving it one more try, though, I'd suggest the Italian dish, eggplant parmigiana -- the aubergine/eggplant just melts in your mouth.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2013, 05:19 PM   #189
Emher
Admiral

I suppose it could be good, but in this format it did not fit my palette. I could give the eggplant parmigiana a try.
Old January 26 2013, 05:24 PM   #190
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Made tsq's chili, with a small mod: added some beef and subtracted some beans (stills beans in it though). here it is in different stages:

And it was delicious it really was...but next time I'll go easier on the chilies and chili seasoning. Didn't think I added that much (certainly not above what was in the recipe), but it turned out very spicy! To the point that we had to get some bread and sour cream to keep eating it. Either ingredients here and in the US are different, or tsq is more of a man then I
If you want bread to go with chili, this is fantastic.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2013, 08:47 PM   #191
lurok
Commodore

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
Not a fan of aubergine? What is WRONG WITH YOU?! It is only the finests veg on the planet!
Yum Though preparing it is key. Moussaka's easy to make. And I love Baba Ghanoush (sp?) which is a smoky Lebanese aubergine/eggplant dip. Also fattoush (but that doesn't have any aubergine in it )
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 12:10 AM   #192
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I like making eggplant dip. Roast 'em, peel them (or not), blend them with olive oil and garlic. A meal in itself on a nice crusty rye.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 01:48 AM   #193
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Here's my vegetarian and diabetes friendly dinner tonight, spaghetti squash, asparagus, brussels sprouts and pesto, topped with sun-dried tomatoes and aged parmesan flakes:

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 03:45 AM   #194
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

teacake wrote: View Post
That said some sugar in chillie is good too.
Mom always put sugar in pasta sauce or chili (anything with a tomato base) to lessen the acidity. I have since tried a small amount of brown sugar to such recipes. I am talking a very small amount... not enough to change the taste.
J. Allen wrote: View Post
I'm fine with talking about both, though I get annoyed if people start making accusations and such. You know, like "meat is murder and you're a cold blooded killer!" or "you're going to die of protein starvation! You're afraid of a little blood!" and such.
This is the reason I was afraid to ask questions here. The only veggie-tarians I knew were very militant about it.

However, I feel very comfortable here now (well, J. Allen still scares me a bit ). Thanks everyone for the input. In the future, I may be asking for advice again. I do envy those who have access to such exotic foods. It would make for so much more variety.
Old January 27 2013, 04:39 AM   #195
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Location: Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space station

Thank you

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
Here's my vegetarian and diabetes friendly dinner tonight, spaghetti squash, asparagus, brussels sprouts and pesto, topped with sun-dried tomatoes and aged parmesan flakes:

Ooo, another idea for this week's dinners

____

And now something from me. I found the recipe yesterday and already tested. It's nice

1 melon
1 red onion
feta
olives (the original recipe says they should be black, but I use my favourite green)
pepper
fresh parsley
fresh mint
1 lime

Slice the onion and marinade the onion rings in the lime juice for half an hour (in the fridge). Then dry the onion and put into a bowl.

Cut the olives. Use a special spoon to "dig" balls of melon (I didn't bother, I just cut the melon to small cubes). Chop the mint and parsley (I used mixed lettuce instead, because could buy neither yesterday). Add into the bowl with the onion and sprinkle with a bit of pepper. Mix and enjoy.

You can use a watermelon instead of a melon.

I will also add shreds of pomelo the next time I prepare it.

Here are photos: http://kuchnia.o2.pl/przepisy/obiekt.php?id_o=1517

"Reagan, it appears, is really only an ardent unionist if the unions in question are in Poland" - Stephen King, Skeleton Crew
Gul Re'jal is offline   Reply With Quote