Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Closed Thread

Old January 26 2013, 01:42 AM   #271
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Re: Abrams turns Star Wars because of his "loyalty" to Trek

Mace Windu: (to George) You refer to the prophecy of the Chosen One... the one who'll bring balance to the fandoms... and you believe it's this... Abrams?
Old January 26 2013, 01:46 AM   #272
JD
Admiral

^Nice.
Old January 26 2013, 01:49 AM   #273
kirk55555
Commodore

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
EnsignRicky wrote: View Post
I love Star Wars just as much as Star Trek.

Fucked up that the same guy is going to get to destroy both of them.
I don't know. It may give the opportunity to those of us who are too emotionally involved in those franchises (sometimes to a vitriolic point) to get some perspective and do something more productive with our lives.

Yes, because god forbid you like something enough to be invested in it. No one should ever care about anything, if they're going to get angry about it. Honestly, I find your post almost offensive. Why shouldn't I care enough about a frnachise to get angry? I care about it, enough that yes, I do become enraged at times. As for doing something more productive? Well I have to say that I HATE "get a life" people. I'm a fan of Star Trek. I get angry at things involving it sometimes. So, I'll just say what I always want to say to a person who belittles peoples interest in something (or imply that they are wasting time by liking something) by saying people need to basically "get a life": Frak you.

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
kirk55555 wrote: View Post
I have no problem with Star Trek/SW mxing people involved if the people were competent. I'm a fan of both. Having the director of the worst thing to be called Star Trek ever directing SW, however, is just about the worst thing that could happen to SW.
A good rule of thumb: if your sentence has the words "worst" and "ever" in it, it's probably not worth typing.

See last sentence of my above post.

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Is it just me or is there a lot of hyperbole and melodrama being thrown around here?

Again, bottom line: a guy who directed a couple of movies in one series is also going to direct a movie in another, similar series. This may or may not impact his ability to direct yet another movie in the first series.

That's all.

It's an intriguing new development, but probably nothing to get worked up about.

I get what you're saying, although I personally get very worked up about it, and for good reason. I just hate that my two favorite Sci Fi franchises have gone into the gutter (live action wise, I still love the SW Expanded Universe, and most ST books that come out, so atleast thats something). In general, there is just no good shows on tV, atleast compared to the past, and definately no good Sci fi since Eureka ended last year. If a good Star Trek/Sci fi TV series was on, I would still hate Abrams, but I'd have something to watch so that I could just ignore his horrible movies. But, because there isn't an alternative, I have to look at the few things that do come out and seeing that stuff, with nothing good as an alternative, makes the horrible the stuff we do get push me from angry to enraged.
Old January 26 2013, 02:12 AM   #274
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Anyone who "hates" Abrams needs to take a step back and get some perspective.
Old January 26 2013, 02:15 AM   #275
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Where is all this talk about Abrams destroying Star Trek coming from? He took a franchise that had been run into the ground by lackluster installments (sound like another franchise we know?) and breathed new life into it. The movie was a critical and financial success. I have complete faith that he'll be able to do the same with Star Wars.
Old January 26 2013, 02:29 AM   #276
kirk55555
Commodore

sidious618 wrote: View Post

Why can't I hate Abrams? He's a hack that keeps getting to destroy things I enjoy. Everything about him makes me wish I could spit in his face.

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
Where is all this talk about Abrams destroying Star Trek coming from? He took a franchise that had been run into the ground by lackluster installments (sound like another franchise we know?) and breathed new life into it. The movie was a critical and financial success. I have complete faith that he'll be able to do the same with Star Wars.
He made a movie with characters that had no depth (not to mention mostly horrible actors), a story that was written by people I'm convinced couldn't write a decent cat food commercial, and mixed it in with bad art design and more lensflare then probably any movie before it. He didn't "breathe new life" into it, he took a sleeping franchise, dragged it around back behind the tool shed, and beat it to death. It was a dumbed down action movie with a Star Trek paint job. You could remove all the Star trek stuff, and it wouldn't effect it at all. It would just be another mindless, mediocre action movie with some slight Sci Fi elements. Atleast Insurrection and ST V felt like Star Trek. Bad ST, but still Star Trek. There wasn't a second of abrams movie that didn't made me angry. Its the worst movie I've ever seen in my life, even including such films as Catwoman, Transformers 2 and Fantastic Four 2. The fact that its successful means nothing. Twilight and Transformers make a lot of money, they are also two horrible series devoid of anything good. Abrams Trek is the same way. Lucas at his worst is much better than abrams. TPM and Attack of the Clones sucked, but compared to Star Trek, they're freaking Wrath of Khan (which happens to be my favorite movie of all time).
Old January 26 2013, 02:38 AM   #277
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Why can't I hate Abrams? He's a hack that keeps getting to destroy things I enjoy. Everything about him makes me wish I could spit in his face.
Classy.
Old January 26 2013, 02:49 AM   #278
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

He made a movie with characters that had no depth (not to mention mostly horrible actors), a story that was written by people I'm convinced couldn't write a decent cat food commercial, and mixed it in with bad art design and more lensflare then probably any movie before it. He didn't "breathe new life" into it, he took a sleeping franchise, dragged it around back behind the tool shed, and beat it to death. It was a dumbed down action movie with a Star Trek paint job. You could remove all the Star trek stuff, and it wouldn't effect it at all. It would just be another mindless, mediocre action movie with some slight Sci Fi elements. Atleast Insurrection and ST V felt like Star Trek. Bad ST, but still Star Trek. There wasn't a second of abrams movie that didn't made me angry. Its the worst movie I've ever seen in my life, even including such films as Catwoman, Transformers 2 and Fantastic Four 2. The fact that its successful means nothing. Twilight and Transformers make a lot of money, they are also two horrible series devoid of anything good. Abrams Trek is the same way. Lucas at his worst is much better than abrams. TPM and Attack of the Clones sucked, but compared to Star Trek, they're freaking Wrath of Khan (which happens to be my favorite movie of all time).
Twilight and Transformers don't have 95% Tomatometers. I'm not saying that you're not entitled to dislike it, just realize that you're a minority.

I found the movie to be damn entertaining, even if it wasn't some deep exploration of the human condition. Much of Star Trek is just fun fluff.
Old January 26 2013, 02:51 AM   #279
Tom Servo
Commodore

sidious618 wrote: View Post

okay. If you want to spit in someones face cause of a movie he directed...then that's your problem. The worst movie you've ever seen? Okay. Sorry to burst your bubble...it was one of the best reviewed films of the year. Go watch your DVDs.

It's for this kind of reaction I love the fact that Abrams gets more and more popular. I'm sure he'll do a great job. I just hope he returns for Trek XIII at some point.

Member of Red Sox Nation
Old January 26 2013, 02:55 AM   #280
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

The mainstream press are idiots! Well, unless they like the same movie we did...
Old January 26 2013, 02:58 AM   #281
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

I side with kirk55555 in this arguement but wish Abrams well in his attempts to return Star Wars to a higher level. If he is not writing, I think as a director he will be ok. I disagreed with nearly every writing decision in Star Trek. Hated the lensflare no end, but thought his overall direction and shot choices were good enough.
Old January 26 2013, 02:59 AM   #282
JD
Admiral

Damn. I can understand that not everyone likes the same things, but I don't think there is any way someone could actually convince me that Abrams' Star Trek is actually that bad.
Old January 26 2013, 03:01 AM   #283
EnsignRicky
Commodore

I don't hate Abrams I'm sure he's quite talented.
It's just that I feel he has tarnished and mutated Star Trek beyond the scope of what I've come to recognize and enjoy over pretty much my entire life. And now he's going to do it to Star Wars.
Old January 26 2013, 03:04 AM   #284
theenglish
Rear Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
Damn. I can understand that not everyone likes the same things, but I don't think there is any way someone could actually convince me that Abrams' Star Trek is actually that bad.
Well, watch ST TMP, the ideal of what ST wanted to be, and then watch Khan, the perfect balance, and then watch Abrams Trek. Where are the themes? Where is the human equation? Where are the big questions?

And IMHO, Star Wars had those same things in a different style. If Abrams can bring to Star Wars what he originally brought to Alias then great. If he brings Revolution or the final two years of Lost then CRAP.
Old January 26 2013, 03:08 AM   #285
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Except that it was a Star Wars movie that he made, not a Star Trek movie--so as I just mentioned, Abrams has the talent to make a good Wars film (he already has) so if he does it right then it will be a return to great SW.
Closed Thread