Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 25 2013, 07:01 PM   #46
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Re: jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

Balrog wrote: View Post
Just think: Those crazy "Star Trek vs. Star Wars vs. Battlestar Galactic vs. Babylon 5" fanwank story and video makers just got one step closer to their dreams becoming a reality...
The 1st Galactic Empire could beat the shit out of the combination of the Federation, the entire fleet in Bab 5 and would wipe its nose with the Cylons and the BSG fleet - with one hand tied behind its back.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 07:46 PM   #47
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Balrog wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Has anyone pointed out yet that "jj abrams not in" the first two Trek movies he directed, either?
Yep...

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
He wasn't in the first two either.
Nerds.
Old January 25 2013, 07:50 PM   #48
lurok
Commodore

Robert D. Robot wrote: View Post

..... For he IS the Kwisatz Haderach! (?)
If anyone can get a Dune movie greenlit...
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 07:52 PM   #49
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Speaking of Star Wars, Does anyone remember that time Lucas ran that one franchise with Harrison Ford at the same time he was running that other franchise with Harrison Ford? And while directing that other franchise with Harrison Ford Steven Spielberg directed that other film with funny little short dude who was trying to get his folks on the phone?
Old January 25 2013, 08:08 PM   #50
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Speaking of Star Wars, Does anyone remember that time Lucas ran that one franchise with Harrison Ford at the same time he was running that other franchise with Harrison Ford? And while directing that other franchise with Harrison Ford Steven Spielberg directed that other film with funny little short dude who was trying to get his folks on the phone?
What!? You're saying big name directyors just might have an ability to multi-task?! What are you smoking??
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 08:13 PM   #51
RoJoHen
Awesome

King Daniel wrote: View Post

I just wish he'd not done the "I turned down Star Wars out of loyalty to Trek" speech - lies and bullshit are the way things work in Hollywood, but it doesn't make it any less distasteful.
Eh, we don't know what changed between then and now. At the time the comment may have been genuine.
Old January 25 2013, 08:24 PM   #52
Cinema Geekly
Lieutenant Commander

View Cinema Geekly's Twitter Profile

Starts a thread that the OP never again comments on......I smell Trolling gentlemen.
Cinema Geekly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 08:31 PM   #53
Spartan_029
Ensign

Cinema Geekly wrote: View Post
Starts a thread that the OP never again comments on......I smell Trolling gentlemen.
but but but

tmosler wrote: View Post
By know you probly no jj abrams is directing the new star wars movie and will most likly not be in the 3rd star trek movie. I think this is good news because now maybe paromunt can get a director that likes and is loyal to star trek to fill his spot but what does everyone here think
tmosler wrote: View Post
Thanks for all your replies and sorry i started 2 threads it was just because i put it here and then i thought it would better qualfie to be in the future trek projects fourm.
Spartan_029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 08:56 PM   #54
thumbtack
Commodore

If he only produces the next one, who will receive the butthurt of the canon enthusiasts? The new director? Or will they stick with Abrams out of habit?
Old January 25 2013, 09:10 PM   #55
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Cinema Geekly wrote: View Post
As was pointed out above, the OP did return for at least one post.

Also (and perhaps more importantly): if you have reason to believe that someone is trolling or committing any other infraction of the board rules, the best thing for you to do is to make use of the Notify Moderator button (looks like this ---> ) on the post in question, as in-thread accusations of trolling are generally considered to be poor form.
Old January 25 2013, 09:37 PM   #56
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Noname Given wrote: View Post
CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
What!? You're saying big name directyors just might have an ability to multi-task?! What are you smoking??
Imagine that!

(As I recall, Spielberg was supervising the SFX work on Jurassic Park while filming Schindler's List. While probably having several more projects in development.)
Old January 25 2013, 09:54 PM   #57
Franklin
Rear Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post

I just wish he'd not done the "I turned down Star Wars out of loyalty to Trek" speech - lies and bullshit are the way things work in Hollywood, but it doesn't make it any less distasteful.
Eh, we don't know what changed between then and now. At the time the comment may have been genuine.
It's like coaches in major college sports who are being courted by other schools or the pros. The rule of thumb is, whenever they say they're not going anywhere, expect them to be out of there within the month. Latest case in point: Oregon and Chip Kelly.

At least Abrams doesn't have to be exclusive to his new gig.

And we can guess with some confidence about what changed his mind between then and now. Probably some concessions to him about creative control and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. And he did what any of us would've done in that case.
Old January 25 2013, 09:59 PM   #58
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Franklin wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post

It's like coaches in major college sports who are being courted by other schools or the pros. The rule of thumb is, whenever they say they're not going anywhere, expect them to be out of there within the month. Latest case in point: Oregon and Chip Kelly.

At least Abrams doesn't have to be exclusive to his new gig.

And we can guess with some confidence about what changed his mind between then and now. Probably some concessions to him about creative control and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. And he did what any of us would've done in that case.
It's the same thing with politics. You can't say that you're being considered as potential running mate or cabinet member. Indeed, admitting you're interested in the job pretty much disqualifies you!

And, if there are contract negotiation involved, the last thing you want to is sound too eager for the job. It puts you in a bad bargaining position.
Old January 25 2013, 10:15 PM   #59
YARN
Fleet Captain

And how long until the 3rd movie?
YARN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 10:20 PM   #60
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

2016 or 2017. Easy for Abrams to direct both if he chooses - easier still for him to executive produce and call all the creative shots on the next Trek movie.

Disney's plans have been to have the new movies directed by three different people. If they change their minds - no indication of that, yet - and have Abrams direct all three, then he has some commitment to Disney through 2012 or so. If he's only directing the first, of course, he's got a lot of time on his hands in 2015.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote