RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,371
Posts: 5,504,033
Members: 25,124
Currently online: 511
Newest member: traedoril

TrekToday headlines

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 25 2013, 06:41 PM   #226
YARN
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Abrams Directing Star Wars

Garak wrote: View Post
It's dead on target if you're a curmudgeonly Trek fan who laughably feels they've been betrayed since JJ Abrams took the helm of the franchise, and can't stand the thought of his continued success and remarkable rise to prominence.
I think we all agree that Abrams pumped some much needed life into the Trek franchise and that he is a talented guy. The last film was better than most entries in the Trek franchise. Moreover, I think he is the right sort of guy for Star Wars.

In short, he is cool guy at the prom.

What I think some are deluded about is his commitment to the ugly girl. The one he said that he wasn't a fan of. the one he didn't mind taking to the dance because there was no intimidation factor. and let's not delude ourselves about the amount of time he will have to helm two major franchises.

That and there is a weird sort of Uncle Tom mentality in our fandom. Fans who dislike fans for being fans. Dennis, for example, paradoxically believes that fans are irrelevant (in which case they wouldn't matter either way), but are at least important in sense that they should be insulted by big wigs in a manner that reminds them how unimportant they really are (in which case they cannot be totally irrelevant, since you take no notice whatever of that which is truly irrelevant).

Garak wrote: View Post
Being able to take on two of the most recognizable sci-fi franchises in history is quite an astounding and significant accomplishment, no matter how you cut it.
Anyone who takes two girls to the prom has to have some mojo going on. Star Wars, however, is sacred. There is a huge pressure to NOT screw it up. At least, this is how Abrams feels. Star Trek just became a low priority.

See you by punchbowl. Let's pour a glass and drink a toast to the King and Queen. And then let's hope for some other cool, or at least cool-ish, guy to asks us for a dance.
YARN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 06:42 PM   #227
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral
 
SantaEddie74's Avatar
 
Location: The North Pole of the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View SantaEddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: Abrams Directing Star Wars



If you say so.
__________________
Remember what cooleddie74 says, kids:

"Don't forget to have a Patrick Swayze Christmas!"
SantaEddie74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 06:44 PM   #228
lurok
Commodore
 
lurok's Avatar
 
Location: Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
Re: Abrams Directing Star Wars



lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 06:45 PM   #229
Balrog
Commodore
 
Balrog's Avatar
 
Location: Balrog
Re: Abrams Directing Star Wars

YARN wrote: View Post
Anyone who takes two girls to the prom has to have some mojo going on. Star Wars, however, is sacred. There is a huge pressure to NOT screw it up. At least, this is how Abrams feels. Star Trek just became a low priority.

See you by punchbowl. Let's pour a glass and drink a toast to the King and Queen. And then let's hope for some other cool, or at least cool-ish, guy to asks us for a dance.
Pretty in a Red Shirt
__________________
Anybody got some peppermint?
Balrog was Lloyd Dobler
Balrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 06:53 PM   #230
YARN
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Abrams Directing Star Wars

Balrog wrote: View Post
YARN wrote: View Post
Anyone who takes two girls to the prom has to have some mojo going on. Star Wars, however, is sacred. There is a huge pressure to NOT screw it up. At least, this is how Abrams feels. Star Trek just became a low priority.

See you by punchbowl. Let's pour a glass and drink a toast to the King and Queen. And then let's hope for some other cool, or at least cool-ish, guy to asks us for a dance.
Pretty in a Red Shirt
No, we're not quite slim enough for the mini. We're more like Uhura in Star Trek V. Puffy in Pink.
YARN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 06:53 PM   #231
ralph
Captain
 
ralph's Avatar
 
Location: Brazil
Re: Abrams Directing Star Wars

I’d like to see Jonathan Frakes as director.
__________________
Ralph Pinheiro
ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 06:55 PM   #232
Franklin
Rear Admiral
 
Location: In the bleachers
Re: Abrams Directing Star Wars

ralph wrote: View Post
Id like to see Jonathan Frakes as director.
Good one.



Wait. (Looks at avatar.)



Seriously?

__________________
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. -- Mark Twain
Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 06:56 PM   #233
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral
 
DarthTom's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Re: Abrams Directing Star Wars

The Keeper wrote: View Post
Ah. Now I understand why I woke up this morning with my pajamas around my ankles and my butt hurt.
Ah, but the tickling feeling also meant that it hurt "so good," that you want a second round - this time with your eyes open.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 07:01 PM   #234
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral
 
SalvorHardin's Avatar
 
Location: Star's End
Re: Abrams Directing Star Wars

ralph wrote: View Post
Id like to see Jonathan Frakes as director.
__________________

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 07:11 PM   #235
Jack Frost
Commodore
 
Jack Frost's Avatar
 
Re: Abrams Directing Star Wars

DarthTom wrote: View Post
The Keeper wrote: View Post
Ah. Now I understand why I woke up this morning with my pajamas around my ankles and my butt hurt.
Ah, but the tickling feeling also meant that it hurt "so good," that you want a second round - this time with your eyes open.
That explains the note:

Next time I won't need chloroform.
Jack Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 07:19 PM   #236
ralph
Captain
 
ralph's Avatar
 
Location: Brazil
Re: Abrams Directing Star Wars

Jonathan Frakes? Why not?
I like Next Generation.

Oppss!!

Into darkness is based in TOS.

Oh my!
__________________
Ralph Pinheiro
ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 07:22 PM   #237
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral
 
SalvorHardin's Avatar
 
Location: Star's End
Re: Abrams Directing Star Wars

ralph wrote: View Post
Jonathan Frakes? Why not?
I like Next Generation.

Oppss!!

Into darkness is based in TOS.

Yeah, I like TNG and TOS too but that's irrelevant.
If Abrams is going away, we should move forward and get another good movie director, fresh to the franchise. Not move backwards.
__________________

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 07:28 PM   #238
CorporalClegg
Admiral
 
CorporalClegg's Avatar
 
Location: Land of Enchantment
Re: Abrams Directing Star Wars

YARN wrote: View Post
That and there is a weird sort of Uncle Tom mentality in our fandom. Fans who dislike fans for being fans. Dennis, for example, paradoxically believes that fans are irrelevant (in which case they wouldn't matter either way), but are at least important in sense that they should be insulted by big wigs in a manner that reminds them how unimportant they really are (in which case they cannot be totally irrelevant, since you take no notice whatever of that which is truly irrelevant).
I can't speak for Dennis, but I just find adults acting like two year olds to be a bit silly. Internet tenter tantrums are just as ridiculous as those in the cereal isle at the supermarket.


At least, this is how Abrams feels. Star Trek just became a low priority.
You know what Abrams thinks and feels? Woah!
__________________
Konnichi wa!
CorporalClegg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 07:32 PM   #239
ralph
Captain
 
ralph's Avatar
 
Location: Brazil
Re: Abrams Directing Star Wars

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
ralph wrote: View Post
Jonathan Frakes? Why not?
I like Next Generation.

Oppss!!

Into darkness is based in TOS.

Yeah, I like TNG and TOS too but that's irrelevant.
If Abrams is going away, we should move forward and get another good movie director, fresh to the franchise. Not move backwards.
Im kidding.

I like Nimoy as director, but he is retired and old.
Bryan Singer could be interesting.
__________________
Ralph Pinheiro
ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 07:33 PM   #240
Amasov
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Abrams Directing Star Wars

I'll only see Episode VII if it's this.

Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.