Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old January 25 2013, 06:19 PM   #1
hxclespaulplayer
Commander

Theory on money in the 24th century

An interesting read: http://vanparecon.resist.ca/StarTrekEcon/
hxclespaulplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 06:32 PM   #2
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: Theory on money in the 24th century

I still say: the replicator did it. Remove scarcity, and you change the economic system completely.

Note that the 23rd C had a different economic system than the 24th. Kirk was downright frantic to get mining operations re-started in Devil in the Dark, despite the obvious risk to the workers of whatever was killing them. Not very enlightened of him. Same Federation, same Starfleet, the difference is, no replicators in the 23rd C.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 07:15 PM   #3
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Temis, that bring up the old question, how much does it cost to operate a replicator? And it is not just a matter of eliminating scarcity, in America we're up to our knees in food, but it still cost money to buy at the store, because it cost money to produce and transport.

If it cost money to operate a replicator, then what it produces might be more conveniant, but it wouldn't be "free."
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 08:10 PM   #4
CorporalClegg
Admiral

It doesn't cost money to do any of that. It requires energy, of which they have a limitless supply.
Old January 25 2013, 11:01 PM   #5
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ But replicators still need to be maintained. What happens when a replicator breaks down? You have engineers who go to work on them.

Also, some people refuse to allow replicators in their homes. Picard's brother, for example. These must also be considered.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2013, 05:11 AM   #6
Lance
Fleet Captain

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Note that the 23rd C had a different economic system than the 24th. Kirk was downright frantic to get mining operations re-started in Devil in the Dark, despite the obvious risk to the workers of whatever was killing them. Not very enlightened of him. Same Federation, same Starfleet, the difference is, no replicators in the 23rd C.
I support this theory. Despite TVH making a plot point about Kirk not understanding 'correct change' in 1986, the evidence in TOS that some sort of money does exist in the 23rd century far outweighs it. Simply the number of times Kirk refers to his officers "earning their pay" is enough evidence for me (though we might charitably say that it's just an expression...)

The 24th century certainly has forms of currency... but, crucially, Latinum can't be replicated, therefore it retains a monetary value (whereas plain old gold is completely worthless).
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2013, 05:13 AM   #7
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I think there should be a sticky regarding the issue of money in Star Trek.
Old January 26 2013, 05:14 AM   #8
Lance
Fleet Captain

I think there should be sticky money in Star Trek. They should use some sort of globular currency. It'd give a whole new meaning to the phrase "liquidating your assets".
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2013, 05:29 AM   #9
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I dunno, Sisko, Riker, O'brien and Eddington always went on about how "real food" tasted better. Would real car parts work better? Would real lightbulbs last longer? So on...
Old January 26 2013, 05:30 AM   #10
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Lance wrote: View Post
I think there should be sticky money in Star Trek. They should use some sort of globular currency. It'd give a whole new meaning to the phrase "liquidating your assets".
Latinum is liquid naturally... they just put it in gold for ease of use.
Old January 26 2013, 06:52 PM   #11
Photonic
Ensign

It costs not only energy but time. Even if you have energy, it must be allocated to produce your raw materials. This is a service and means less energy elsewhere which means some type of compensation is needed to the energy producer to provide this service.

You also have man hours and time. These must also be compensated. If you read the article (good post btw. I stumbled across it a couple years ago), and further study parecon it is a planned economy.

Even for people without replicators its fine. Community centers and local governments would all host periods to discuss resource requirements ,projects, population needs, consumable goods etc annually or bi annually or quarterly. As a citizen you submit the resources you will require or desire, for which you will be allocated so much work. On the other side the governments coordinate to manage production in anticipation for the requested consumables.

Sadly we do not see the economics of startrek. its a military lifestyle so "whatever" currency they get, or w/e they are allocated into their "bank accounts" or "resource pools" is irrelevant since like on current naval vessels, all your food, lodging, recreation is provided for and you basicly live for free off the energy and supplies of the ship.
Photonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2013, 06:55 PM   #12
Photonic
Ensign

R. Star wrote: View Post
I dunno, Sisko, Riker, O'brien and Eddington always went on about how "real food" tasted better. Would real car parts work better? Would real lightbulbs last longer? So on...
Good question. Study technology more. The answer with "real lightbulbs" and "car parts" is no. Why would "current manufacturing tech" be better?

When it comes to TECH objects the specifications are much more readily quantifiable and easier to manipulate with say ..a replicator. Which is basicly nano technology. Even if a laser cut a flange from a raw piece of aluminum to mount a turbo charger onto my exhaust manifold there are still microscopic imperfections but these are correctable with gaskets which we use to create proper seals. Replicator technology allows you to create precise molecular and atomic structure.s

But food is not the same. As are all things "human". Smell, sound, taste, touch. It is the IMPERFECTIONS ....that make them appeal to our senses. Sometimes a perfect steak (which a replicator can provide) wont suit your taste buds ..but that is subjective , its a perfect steak by all means but it lacks artistic flare ...tech is not the same boat.
Photonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2013, 07:17 PM   #13
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Photonic wrote: View Post
It costs not only energy but time. Even if you have energy, it must be allocated to produce your raw materials.
Under our current system, and possibly the future system of Star Trek, this allocation is by way of money.

As a citizen you submit the resources you will require or desire, for which you will be allocated so much work.
This (translation) means everyone would basically work for the allocators

On the other side the governments coordinate to manage production in anticipation for the requested consumables.
Or, market forces and customer need would control this.

... since like on current naval vessels, all your food [snip] is provided for and you basicly live for free off the energy and supplies of the ship.
On current naval vessels, officers pay for their food, just like they do on shore. Only the enlist eat for free, it's part of their enlistment contract.

When we see the officer's in ten forward, I've always figured that they are paying (payroll deduction/personal account) for the items they order.

Sometimes a perfect steak (which a replicator can provide)
Maybe it can't. Think about it, the replicator has been show/spoken of as having problems with organic materials. It plain can't produce certain drugs. And it can't produce actual internal organs, a replacement heart for Picard, the defective part of LaForge's vision. So if it can't make a Human heart, what makes you believe it can make cow muscle?

Your steak is perhaps a facsimile of cow muscle. A steak, a pork chop, a chicken breast, are all the same material. Different coloring, and artificial flavoring, but the same physical substance and structure.

Last edited by T'Girl; January 26 2013 at 07:28 PM.
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2013, 10:33 PM   #14
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

A replicator has to be able to replicate foods that tastes like the original.

It is said that replicator technology is based off transporter technology, which can transport all types of things that is said can't be replicated or copied reliably.

It should be able to make a perfect copy of something as simple as eggs, let alone steaks, wine etc.
Nightdiamond is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 07:07 AM   #15
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain

Nightdiamond wrote: View Post
A replicator has to be able to replicate foods that tastes like the original.

It is said that replicator technology is based off transporter technology, which can transport all types of things that is said can't be replicated or copied reliably.

It should be able to make a perfect copy of something as simple as eggs, let alone steaks, wine etc.
There's nothing simple about the cellular structure of an egg, of meat, etc.
The replicator might be able to mix together the components making up such food - but its fine tunning is lacking. As is redundantly mentioned throughout star trek (how replicated food lacks flavor, etc).
Transporting something!=creating something. Not even close.

And that's the least of the problems the replicator has as a tool for 'unlimited' wealth:
http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?...&postcount=130

Last edited by Edit_XYZ; January 27 2013 at 08:50 AM.
Edit_XYZ is offline   Reply With Quote