RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,579
Posts: 5,403,202
Members: 24,865
Currently online: 456
Newest member: shyrim

TrekToday headlines

October-November 2014 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Cho Selfie TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

TPTB To Shatner: Shhh!
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old January 23 2013, 05:58 AM   #241
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: MLB Offseason 2012

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Oh God, not this shit again... Linky

Ugh... you know I always thought the home team should be in white, the road team in grey and leave it at that.... but even for alternate jerseys.... those are tacky as all hell.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline  
Old January 23 2013, 10:27 PM   #242
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral
 
George Steinbrenner's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile
Re: MLB Offseason 2012

^ The worst thing about it is, that uniform was originally created by a fan who sent it in...

(wouldn't be so bad if they were just wearing it once, but the Sox are wearing that abomination for every Sunday game this year!)
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline  
Old January 24 2013, 02:12 AM   #243
Tom Hendricks
Commodore
 
Tom Hendricks's Avatar
 
Location: Syracuse NY
View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile
Re: MLB Offseason 2012

Timby wrote: View Post
Phillies sign Delmon Young.

Oh, Ruben Amaro, I love you and you are the gift that never stops giving, please continue your fine tradition of "Rube gonna rube."
Part of Delmon Young's contract is tied to his weight, he can earn up to $600,000 more if he doesn't go over weight.

http://deadspin.com/5978454/delmon-y...ing-a-fat-mess

The deal for the AL championship series MVP, announced Tuesday, calls for him to get on a scale on six occasions to be chosen by the team. He'll receive $100,000 each time he makes weight, according to details obtained by The Associated Press. The first three times, he must be 230 pounds or less, and the second three, 235 pounds or less.
__________________
The Sleeper has Awaken!

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline  
Old January 24 2013, 02:16 AM   #244
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE
 
Timby's Avatar
 
Re: MLB Offseason 2012

I hope they do public weigh-ins like for big UFC and boxing fights.

And when he doesn't make weight, they play the loser horn from The Price is Right.

In other content, here's an amazing article about just how calamitous this offseason has been for Rube:

At Tuesday’s press conference announcing the Young deal, Amaro said they expect their new acquisition to become the everyday right fielder.

“While obviously Delmon’s got a lot more track record as far as success in the major leagues, he still can be competing for playing time,” Amaro said. “Ideally, he’d be playing right field every day for us but that’s not etched in stone. That will happen when he shows that he can play every day in right field for us.”

Young has not played right field since his rookie season in 2007. That was six years ago.

The iPad hadn’t been invented yet.

Since then, in the rare instances in which he’s actually put on a glove and manned a defensive position, he has played left field. However, he only did that 30 times in his 151 games last year, and when he did do it, he did it very, very poorly.

Even though Young’s contract is cheap, the simple fact is that he is not a good baseball player. In 608 plate appearances last year, Young hit .267/.296/.411 for an OPS of .707 and a wOBA of .305, with 18 HRs and 112 strikeouts. For his career, Young’s on-base percentage of .317 and OPS of .742 makes him nothing more than a replacement-level type player, as his career 0.6 WAR would indicate.

In short, Young does not get on base, does not work pitchers, does not hit for a whole lot of power, possesses no speed and plays terrible defense.
Timby is offline  
Old January 24 2013, 03:47 PM   #245
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral
 
Ar-Pharazon's Avatar
 
Re: MLB Offseason 2012

Sammy Sosa thinks the Cubs should have retired his number "a long time ago".
Story

He also thinks he & McGuire belong in the HOF.
Story

Hell of a way to break years of silence, with insane ramblings like this.
__________________
Rimmer, on what period of history to live in-
“Well, It’d be the 19th century for me, one of Napoleon’s marshals.
The chance to march across Europe with the greatest general of all time and kill Belgians” - (White Hole).
Ar-Pharazon is offline  
Old January 24 2013, 04:26 PM   #246
Use of Time
Commodore
 
Use of Time's Avatar
 
Location: Va. Beach, VA
Re: MLB Offseason 2012

Justin Upton and Chris Johnson will be traded to Atlanta for Martin Prado, Randall Delgado and two prospects.

I'm pretty excited about an outfield with Heyward, B.J and Justin Upton. Wow.
__________________
Searching for something, a million miles and a ways to go.
Use of Time is offline  
Old January 24 2013, 09:19 PM   #247
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE
 
Timby's Avatar
 
Re: MLB Offseason 2012

Use of Time wrote: View Post
Justin Upton and Chris Johnson will be traded to Atlanta for Martin Prado, Randall Delgado and two prospects.

I'm pretty excited about an outfield with Heyward, B.J and Justin Upton. Wow.
Holy crap. That's absolute highway robbery, Kevin Towers has lost his mind.
Timby is offline  
Old January 24 2013, 09:38 PM   #248
Use of Time
Commodore
 
Use of Time's Avatar
 
Location: Va. Beach, VA
Re: MLB Offseason 2012

Timby wrote: View Post
Use of Time wrote: View Post
Justin Upton and Chris Johnson will be traded to Atlanta for Martin Prado, Randall Delgado and two prospects.

I'm pretty excited about an outfield with Heyward, B.J and Justin Upton. Wow.
Holy crap. That's absolute highway robbery, Kevin Towers has lost his mind.
Yeah, I mean I like Prado but he would have been a free agent at the end of the year anyway. Justin is only 24 years old which is crazy seeing as he has 5 years under his belt already. To get Chris Johnson too is ridiculous. Frank Wrenn is doing as well as John Scheurholz with about a half of the financial backing.
__________________
Searching for something, a million miles and a ways to go.
Use of Time is offline  
Old January 25 2013, 12:46 AM   #249
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE
 
Timby's Avatar
 
Re: MLB Offseason 2012

Use of Time wrote: View Post
Timby wrote: View Post
Use of Time wrote: View Post
Justin Upton and Chris Johnson will be traded to Atlanta for Martin Prado, Randall Delgado and two prospects.

I'm pretty excited about an outfield with Heyward, B.J and Justin Upton. Wow.
Holy crap. That's absolute highway robbery, Kevin Towers has lost his mind.
Yeah, I mean I like Prado but he would have been a free agent at the end of the year anyway. Justin is only 24 years old which is crazy seeing as he has 5 years under his belt already. To get Chris Johnson too is ridiculous. Frank Wrenn is doing as well as John Scheurholz with about a half of the financial backing.
Yeah, it's impossible to put into words just how astounded I am at how lopsided this deal was. The Braves are getting a star player with upside at a below-market deal with three years of control left, and all he gave up for him was two eminently replaceable non-commodities off their roster and three nothing prospects. The best piece going out here is Randall Delgado, for God's sake.

Towers went full Rube. You never go full Rube.
Timby is offline  
Old January 25 2013, 03:56 PM   #250
Use of Time
Commodore
 
Use of Time's Avatar
 
Location: Va. Beach, VA
Re: MLB Offseason 2012

Well I really think the lynchpin was Martin Prado. Prado started the all star game at second base in 2010. Guys like him are valuable considering he has literally played every position on the field for Atlanta except pitcher/catcher. He's a solid two hitter with mid range power. The Diamondbacks outfield isn't all that bad at the moment with Kubel, Ross and Parra. I think they just tried to fill as many gaps as possible rather then keep a player who didn't want to be there.

That being said I am very excited for the season. The Braves have six guys that will probably hit more than 20 HR's (Jupton, B.J., McCann, Freeman, Uggla and Heyward) Can you imagine how good this team could be if Uggla could find his swing. My only concern is that we really don't have a leadoff hitter and the 2-6 guys are going to strikeout often.
__________________
Searching for something, a million miles and a ways to go.

Last edited by Use of Time; January 25 2013 at 04:09 PM.
Use of Time is offline  
Old January 25 2013, 06:13 PM   #251
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral
 
George Steinbrenner's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile
Re: MLB Offseason 2012

Carl Pavano gets injured, as only Carl Pavano can. Linky
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline  
Old January 25 2013, 06:52 PM   #252
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral
 
Ar-Pharazon's Avatar
 
Re: MLB Offseason 2012

Use of Time wrote: View Post
Well I really think the lynchpin was Martin Prado. Prado started the all star game at second base in 2010. Guys like him are valuable considering he has literally played every position on the field for Atlanta except pitcher/catcher. He's a solid two hitter with mid range power. The Diamondbacks outfield isn't all that bad at the moment with Kubel, Ross and Parra. I think they just tried to fill as many gaps as possible rather then keep a player who didn't want to be there.

That being said I am very excited for the season. The Braves have six guys that will probably hit more than 20 HR's (Jupton, B.J., McCann, Freeman, Uggla and Heyward) Can you imagine how good this team could be if Uggla could find his swing. My only concern is that we really don't have a leadoff hitter and the 2-6 guys are going to strikeout often.
I wonder why there's so much talk about the lead-off hitter. He's only guaranteed to lead off once.

After that, he's as likely to bat third or fourth in an inning, at which point his speed isn't as important.
__________________
Rimmer, on what period of history to live in-
“Well, It’d be the 19th century for me, one of Napoleon’s marshals.
The chance to march across Europe with the greatest general of all time and kill Belgians” - (White Hole).
Ar-Pharazon is offline  
Old January 25 2013, 07:25 PM   #253
Use of Time
Commodore
 
Use of Time's Avatar
 
Location: Va. Beach, VA
Re: MLB Offseason 2012

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
Use of Time wrote: View Post
Well I really think the lynchpin was Martin Prado. Prado started the all star game at second base in 2010. Guys like him are valuable considering he has literally played every position on the field for Atlanta except pitcher/catcher. He's a solid two hitter with mid range power. The Diamondbacks outfield isn't all that bad at the moment with Kubel, Ross and Parra. I think they just tried to fill as many gaps as possible rather then keep a player who didn't want to be there.

That being said I am very excited for the season. The Braves have six guys that will probably hit more than 20 HR's (Jupton, B.J., McCann, Freeman, Uggla and Heyward) Can you imagine how good this team could be if Uggla could find his swing. My only concern is that we really don't have a leadoff hitter and the 2-6 guys are going to strikeout often.
I wonder why there's so much talk about the lead-off hitter. He's only guaranteed to lead off once.

After that, he's as likely to bat third or fourth in an inning, at which point his speed isn't as important.
True, but I'm less concerned with speed than I am with having some form of contact hitter at the top of the order to help set the table for the power of the lineup. I am thinking that Andrelton Simmons will hit leadoff with either Heyward or B.J. in the two hole. The rest is immaterial as long as they break up the right handed and left handed bats a little bit.
__________________
Searching for something, a million miles and a ways to go.
Use of Time is offline  
Old January 25 2013, 09:17 PM   #254
RevDMV
Rear Admiral
 
RevDMV's Avatar
 
Location: RevDMV in the Bay Area, CA
Re: MLB Offseason 2012

Classic no leverage/options trade.

Upton wanted out of town and had veto power, already turning a down a trade to the Mariners. Where he wanted to go was well known.

Plus, Gibson had him in the dog house, and wanted him out.

I think the Diamondback's did as much as they could with this one...
__________________
Life is good
RevDMV is offline  
Old January 25 2013, 09:48 PM   #255
Aragorn
Admiral
 
Aragorn's Avatar
 
Re: MLB Offseason 2012

RevDMV wrote: View Post
Upton wanted out of town and had veto power, already turning a down a trade to the Mariners.
Well who wouldn't turn down a trade to the Mariners? No playoff shot and your stats will drop like a rock because of the lineup around you.
Aragorn is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.