CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old January 24 2013, 05:20 PM   #46
sonak
Vice Admiral

Re: What the hell is McCoy doing on the bridge?

BillJ wrote: View Post
sonak wrote: View Post
I've always thought this was a silly point in TOS, and was glad they fixed it with Dr. Crusher in TNG, who mostly does appropriate medical things, she doesn't hang out with the captain on the bridge. Just another thing, like Kirk constantly beaming down with away teams, that looks silly when you think about it.
I simply liked having McCoy on the bridge. If Crusher had been a stronger character it would've been a crime to keep her down in sickbay.

In universe, at that stage of his career McCoy is likely more in an administrative position that doesn't require him in sickbay constantly.

To be clear, I thought it was great having McCoy on the bridge(and on away teams for that matter) too, he was a funny guy and could give Kirk crap like no one else would.

But even as administrator rather than hands-on, he'd still be running it from sickbay. Plus, I think he thought of himself as an "old country doctor," so you'd think given the choice, he'd be happier dealing with patients than on the bridge dealing with ship-to-ship situations.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 06:43 PM   #47
Mister Atoz
Lieutenant

Jayrath: LOL!!

One thing you'll never hear: "I'm a Doctor, not an executive level command advisor!"

One thing we did hear: "I'm a surgeon, not a psychiatrist."

Another thing we heard: "He's on the verge of a nervous breakdown, if not insanity!"

~ Mr Atoz, the genuine replica

jayrath wrote: View Post
SHIP'S MEDICAL LOG - CHIEF SURGEON McCOY - CONFIDENTIAL:

[excerpted]

Mission year 1: During one of our very first voyages, the captain was FREAKING SPLIT IN TWO! One was like all wimpy and stuff, but the other half attempted rape. We managed to glue him back together, but damn! Now I'm going to have to watch him all the time in case he splits again. I'll need to be on the bridge, when I should instead be in sickbay.

Mission year 2: Okay, just the fifth mission out and our first officer turns all salmon has has to go upstream to Vulcan and spawn. I was just going to give him Prozac, but no, he gets brain fever or something and tries to kill the captain with a Vulcan necktie. Need I add that now I'm going to have to be on the bridge even MORE, in case the urge comes back? And guess who doesn't get a raise for all the extra work... Hold on, computer, prepare to pause recording: a super-powerful space robot the size of a Hoover just took away the comm officers's mind. Including her security clearances. We're reinstalling it all, but who knows what happened to the codes? Sigh. Back to the bridge full-time AGAIN. I'm a doctor, not a security guard!

Mission year 3: As if I wasn't practically married to the bridge already, on our very first mission this year I had to reinstall the first officer's freaking BRAIN! Do you have any idea how many months of damn near full-time therapy that's going to require? Hmmm, and guess which fleet has never given yours truly a good budget to hire more staff? The captain wanted me to move in with the pointy-eared #&$#* to keep an eye on him 24/7, but he let me off with simply being on the bridge nearly every mission. Like that's a big treat? He still won't give me my own chair! Everyone else on the freaking bridge gets a chair, even Ensign Leslie, who I swear has spoken aboard ship only once. But nooooo, I'm stuck again leaning on the railings, like some hunched goof.

Anyway, I tried to get the captain drunk, like I always do, but -- major fail. He refused to budge.

I swear, when we get back to earth I'm going to grow a beard and go camping.
Mister Atoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 07:11 PM   #48
Mr. Spook
Rear Admiral

Also remember, Kirk was McCoy's best buddy. When Bones wasn't busy, he was hanging out because Kirk let him. Kirk didn't exactly run the tightest ship in the fleet, how many episodes ended with everyone falling around laughing? A lot of the time, Bones is palling around. I'm sure if there was something vital going on in Sick Bay, he'd be down taking care of it. Otherwise, he's a bit of a slacker. In Conscience of the King, he's more concerned with tying one on than listening to the XO voice concerns about the captain.

Non issue.

Last edited by Mr. Spook; January 25 2013 at 06:19 AM.
Mr. Spook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 08:57 PM   #49
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Clearly, Nurse Chapel deserved a raise.
Well, since they don't use money in the 23rd century, they'll have to pay her in beer.

Or, have Spock pay her a "personal" visit.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 11:27 PM   #50
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

RandyS wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Clearly, Nurse Chapel deserved a raise.
Well, since they don't use money in the 23rd century, they'll have to pay her in beer.

Or, have Spock pay her a "personal" visit.
"No."
"Yes."
"No."
"Yes."
"No."
Old January 25 2013, 03:17 AM   #51
TheThrasson
Lieutenant Junior Grade

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
Also remember, Kirk was McCoy's best buddy. When Bones wasn't busy, he was hanging out because Kirk let him. Kirk didn't exactly run the tightest ship in the fleet, how many episodes ended with everyone falling around laughing? A lot of the time, Bones is palling around. I'm sure if there was something vital going on in Sick Bay, he'd be down taking care of it. Otherwise, he's a bit of a slacker. In Conscience of the King, he's more concerned with tying one on than listening to the EX voice concerns about the captain.

Non issue.
Agreed. I always thought Kirk wanted him there. Kirk relied on his council and advice.

Now, when Spock was in command, that's another story. McCoy rode Spock mercilessly. It was brutal. Spock had the patients of a saint.
TheThrasson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 05:43 AM   #52
jayrath
Fleet Captain

Yes, patients of a saint.

Anyone else notice more egregious misspellings than usual lately? It's especially bad in the general board.
jayrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 05:57 AM   #53
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

In this case, it's grammar, not spelling. Or he might have been aiming for a medical pun.

And automatic grammar checkers died out in the early 23rd century.
Old January 25 2013, 07:39 AM   #54
Mister Atoz
Lieutenant

Well, Commodore, that's very well expressed. In fact, McCoy was asked to leave the bridge on two occasions (usually under stress but delivering a nicely comedic effect)... When Commodore Decker in Doomsday says indelicately "You may leave the bridge, Doctor." And the other occasion is when Spock is telling McCoy to go back to sickbay to work on his Therigan derivative.

"Please leave that to me, Dr. McCoy. I realize that the crew are your prime concern. You can best serve them in your laboratory. I urge you to confine yourself to it until a remedy has been found."

I can't ever recall Kirk asking McCoy to leave the bridge, can you?

~ Atoz

Also remember, Kirk was McCoy's best buddy. When Bones wasn't busy, he was hanging out because Kirk let him. Kirk didn't exactly run the tightest ship in the fleet, how many episodes ended with everyone falling around laughing? A lot of the time, Bones is palling around. I'm sure if there was something vital going on in Sick Bay, he'd be down taking care of it. Otherwise, he's a bit of a slacker. In Conscience of the King, he's more concerned with tying one on than listening to the XO voice concerns about the captain.

Non issue.
Mister Atoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 07:52 AM   #55
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

Melakon wrote: View Post
.... just two hundred years after grammar died out.
Old January 25 2013, 07:54 AM   #56
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

And yet, McCoy was an inch away from relieving Kirk of command in Obsession.
Old January 25 2013, 02:20 PM   #57
GourdShipCapt'n
Commodore

Mister Atoz wrote: View Post
Well, Commodore, that's very well expressed. In fact, McCoy was asked to leave the bridge on two occasions (usually under stress but delivering a nicely comedic effect)... When Commodore Decker in Doomsday says indelicately "You may leave the bridge, Doctor." And the other occasion is when Spock is telling McCoy to go back to sickbay to work on his Therigan derivative.

"Please leave that to me, Dr. McCoy. I realize that the crew are your prime concern. You can best serve them in your laboratory. I urge you to confine yourself to it until a remedy has been found."

I can't ever recall Kirk asking McCoy to leave the bridge, can you?

~ Atoz
A beaker full of death wrote: View Post
And yet, McCoy was an inch away from relieving Kirk of command in Obsession.
Interesting pecking order, or perhaps there's a lot more respect for age in the 23rd century (Spock probably being older than McCoy, and McCoy older than Kirk). Then again, there's "The Deadly Years," where advancing age is the object of either fear or ridicule.

Melakon wrote: View Post
In this case, it's grammar, not spelling. Or he might have been aiming for a medical pun.

And good riddance to them. I once ran 'Twas the Night Before Christmas through one of those things and it corrected to: "The chimney with care hanged the stockings."
GourdShipCapt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 02:32 PM   #58
MacLeod
Admiral

Of course, during the parts of the voyage of the Enterprise we don't see on screen, perhaps McCoy is busy in sickbay.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 03:07 PM   #59
Redfern
Commodore

"What the h3ll is McCoy doing on the bridge?"

"Standing..."

"I can see that!"

"Odd, that McCoy standing there. I wonder where he's from?"

"Perhaps he came from next door."

"Next door?! The bridge doesn't even have a 'next' door! It only has the single turbolift!"

"Perhaps he comes from StarFleet?"

"If he did, he'd have 'property of StarFleet' stamped on him."

"No he wouldn't! You can't 'stamp' a huge Kzinti!"

"They stamp them when they're small!"

"Do Kzinti molt?"

"No, and neither do humans!"

"Oy, that argument went nowhere."

"Aye, we need a military type to come in here and end this sketch on account of being 'silly'."

"Can't we do it ourselves?"

"We don't have the rank."

"Perhaps if we just stop talking?"

"That'll do."

"..."

"..."

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 03:19 PM   #60
BizarroStormy
Fleet Captain

Being senior officers, McCoy and Scotty likely have pretty much unlimited bridge-presence privileges. But what McCoy does NOT have is the right to dictate an order to bridge personnel on non-medical issues. Yet he does it to Sulu in Act Four of WHOM GODS DESTROY and Sulu just replies ''Yes, sir.'' Sloppy third-season writing.
BizarroStormy is offline   Reply With Quote