TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old January 24 2013, 04:59 AM   #1
magarity
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Old Star Trek books

Reading this forum lately reminded me I had an old Star Trek book; finally found it. "The World of Star Trek" - it's quite from before the Internet made all the episodes easily available and has a bunch of stills from various original series. What quaint old books do the rest of you have? I assume a lot of you do.
magarity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 08:55 PM   #2
Redfern
Commodore

Re: Old Star Trek books

"The Making of Star Trek" by Stephen Whitfield, published 1968 roughly between seasons 2 and 3 of the original series. This volume has two sections of monochrome photos, most being publicity shots or behind the scenes type images. It also contains a few pages of conceptual illustrations, earlier designs that eveolved into thew Enterprise, layouts of Desilu's Stage 9 that conatined the standing sets. It also has early drafts of "The Cage" when the alien telepaths were described as crab-like. This paperback is considered one of the oldest "reference" books for Trek, and the only one for several years.

"The Making of 'The Trouble with Tribbles'", written by the episode's author David Gerrold, who also wrote "The world of Star Trek". This early 70s publication is the author's personal account, describing the development of a single episode from his initial idea to its debute broadcast. He details drafting several premises before choosing "...Tribbles" as the most practical. (At least one of these, "The Protracted Man" has finally been realized for the "fan made" series "Star Trek Phase Two".) He recounts visiting the studio to get a better feel of the characters as he revises his drafts. He also mentions having a "scare" when he wonders if he may have imitated Heinlein a bit too closely. It's a personal tome that let's one peek into the mind of the author as he grows as a professional television writer.

These two books and the one you mentioned were "treasures" during the relatively "dry years" of the 70s until the first motion picture debuted.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 09:01 PM   #3
F. King Daniel
Admiral

The Official Star Trek Cooking Manual: From the Logs of Christine Chapel.

Yes they did.
Old January 24 2013, 09:15 PM   #4
Christopher
Writer

Redfern wrote: View Post
"The Making of Star Trek"... This paperback is considered one of the oldest "reference" books for Trek, and the only one for several years.
I doubt there's anything older, since it was published while the show was on the air. It was also one of the first "making of" books about the TV/film production process, so it was a seminal book for people interested in the industry in general.

He details drafting several premises before choosing "...Tribbles" as the most practical. (At least one of these, "The Protracted Man" has finally been realized for the "fan made" series "Star Trek Phase Two".)
Also, Gerrold adapted his rejected premise "Bandi" as a story in TokyoPop's Star Trek: The Manga Volume 3. And his rejected 2-parter proposal "Tomorrow Was Yesterday" was the basis for Gerrold's Trek novel The Galactic Whirlpool from Bantam Books -- and indirectly inspired several of Gerrold's original novels, namely Yesterday's Children, its expanded version Starhunt, and its rebooted version Voyage of the Star Wolf and its two sequels (actually based on an unmade TV series proposal that was a reworking of the Starhunt premise and characters).

So essentially every one of the rejected story ideas Gerrold wrote about in the book The Trouble With Tribbles has now ended up being made -- one as a novel, one as a comic, and one as a fan film.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 09:25 PM   #5
Redfern
Commodore

Well, I try not to use absolutes like "oldest" as I usually have the bad luck to be proven wrong. So I tend to use relative qualifiers to give myself some hedge room.

Sincerely,

Bill

Old January 24 2013, 09:29 PM   #6
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

I had Whitfield's book, Gerrold's Tribbles and World of, all the Foto-novels, the Concordance, Franz Joseph's Tech Manual, at least one of Geoffrey Mandel's books. I was audio taping the episodes during the 70s, and would take them and the Foto-Novels to work (underground, alone, no windows or radio), and follow along.

Redfern wrote:
[Gerrold] recounts visiting the studio to get a better feel of the characters as he revises his drafts.
Is that where he mentions Shatner coming over to see what he's doing? And Gerrold tells him, "I'm writing a script where you lose your voice in the teaser and don't get it back until the tag." Which didn't go over well. And pretty much does happen in The Tholian Web.

Last edited by Ho Ho Homeier; January 24 2013 at 09:41 PM.
Ho Ho Homeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 09:37 PM   #7
Redfern
Commodore

Yeah, that's the book. He also recounts sitting with Nichelle on lunch break during the filming of "Mirror, Mirror" and her spilling some cottage cheese in her cleavage. He was the one to blush.

Sincerely,

Bill

Old January 24 2013, 10:23 PM   #8
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I read Gerrold's books repeatedly when I was young. Picked up some used copies at Shore Leave last year--for nostalgia's sake.
Old January 24 2013, 10:32 PM   #9
Captain April
Commander

I used to have several of the Foto-novels and Star Trek Logs. A flood did those in for me.

I'd pick them up again if I ever come across them.
Captain April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 10:40 PM   #10
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

I didn't dig "World" when I was a kid (like 9) when I got it, but now, that Gerrold has some really good insights as to drama, and how series go stale.

Last edited by plynch; January 25 2013 at 12:35 AM. Reason: spelling
plynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 10:41 PM   #11
jayrath
Fleet Captain

I have the original Trimble Concordance -- in two volumes (to accomodate Season 3), bound with brads.
jayrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 11:46 PM   #12
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

I went a 'con' around 1976..., Con meaning curtained off rooms where bloopers and illegal screenings of "Dark Star", "Forbidden Planet, and "The Day the Earth Stood Still" took place.

There I picked up an item that I've never seen since. It was a xeroxed copy of a crudely drawn, comic-book style parody of a couple of eps. The only thing I remember about it is this from "Where No Man has Gone Before":

Mitchell: "You fools! Soon I'll squash you like elephants!"
Kirk: "Thinks big, doesn't he?"

edit: If anyone is interested, apparently this is the con I went to, or it may have been the year before. What I find most interesting is they apparently did secure legal rights to show all these (as they comment in the front that they lost the right to show Rocky Horror Picture Show)...and also that they screened stuff 24/7

http://fanac.org/fanzines/OKon/index.html

Last edited by Dale Sams; January 25 2013 at 12:17 AM.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 06:11 AM   #13
CaptPapa
Commander

I have a pretty good assortment of the early books, including The World of Star Trek autographed by David Gerrold's at WorldCon in '06.
Among others:
The Making of Star Trek
The Trouble With Tribbles: The Complete Story . . .
Starfleet Technical Manual
Star Trek Lives!
Star Trek Concordance
Star Trek Action Toy Book
Star Trek Puzzle Manual
Letters to Star Trek
Meaning in Star Trek
Trek or Treat
Star Trek Quiz Book
The Star Trek Puzzle Manual
Starfleet Medical Reference Manual
The Making of the Trek Conventions
Star Trek Speaks
Spaceflight Chronology
On The Good Ship Enterprise, My 15 Years With Star Trek
and the first novel, Mission to Horatius (not the reprint)

One other item I'm pleased to have, though it's not too old (from 1991), I think it's fairly rare. It has a rather long winded title; "Star Trek An Annotated Guide to Resources on the Development, the Phenomenon, the People, the Television Series, the Films, the Novels and the Recordings", by Susan R. Gibberman.

Last edited by CaptPapa; January 25 2013 at 06:14 AM. Reason: addition
CaptPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 06:16 AM   #14
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I recently picked up a copy of The Monsters of Star Trek, published way back in 1980.
Old January 25 2013, 03:55 PM   #15
Christopher
Writer

^I used to have a copy of that autographed by the author. I sold/donated it ages ago, though.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote