Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 25 2013, 04:59 AM   #151
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: Abrams Directing Star Wars

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Nah, J.J. is the man to get Ghostbusters III off the ground...finally.
Not until he brings back Barbarella!
Old January 25 2013, 05:01 AM   #152
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

He can write her into the Forbidden Planet remake.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 05:01 AM   #153
SeerSGB
Admiral

I'm happy for him. He's a SW fan, and he's getting a shot at the "big game". Good for him.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 05:03 AM   #154
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Anji wrote: View Post
I'm thinking they're trying to get the most out of the science fiction buck these days and trying to turn Star Trek fans into Star Wars fans and visa versa.

They want the two fandoms to be interchangeable so both studios get the most out of the sci-fi fans wallets.
You're wrong. Paramount has no interest in using Star Trek to help Disney make money on Star Wars, and the Mouse didn't buy Star Wars with plans to promote Star Trek.
Old January 25 2013, 05:17 AM   #155
lurok
Commodore

SW fans should count themselves lucky
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 05:23 AM   #156
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

At least Star Wars won't suck anymore. Maybe we'll get back to that "original trilogy" level of fun and quality (Return of the Jedi notwithstanding). As for Star Trek, if Paramount is okay with the wait, Abrams will probably direct the third film. But if he wants to do his own personal projects in between, that wait might be too long in their eyes. So being the producer with an approved director would be the way to go. I'd be okay with that.

Honestly, I think this is win-win.
Old January 25 2013, 05:27 AM   #157
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

If the next Star Wars film is due for release in 2015, then principal photography will take place in 2014 - Abrams could move on to directing another film in 2015 while supervising post production on Star Wars.

Mind you, he's not being brought into Star Wars to "reboot" or otherwise reshape it. He's being hired to direct one film, already written, in a series that they're evidently talking to other directors about continuing.
Old January 25 2013, 05:44 AM   #158
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

Franklin wrote: View Post
"Entertainment Weekly" is saying it has confirmed the story in "The Wrap".

"The New York Times" is reporting it, too, but they just draw from "The Wrap" story.

The "LA Times" say they've confirmed it.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/01/2...wars-director/

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ar-wars-movie/

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2013/...s-episode-vii/

So ... not really confirmed. It's not confirmed unless there's a direct quote from someone with knowledge about the entire situation. As a former journalist, I wouldn't even use anonymous sources. If I can't use your name and quote you, then I didn't print it. Never lost a scoop because of that policy, by the way.

Burnett on Twitter:

Let's hope this marks a return to the expansion of intellectual excellence and optimism which used to be a hallmark of the TREK franchise.
The guy's got no taste or judgment whatever. Grow the hell up.
Yeah, he's been on the interview circuit on that tip. Burnett's done a great job on all the special features —*well, with the exception of shoehorning Seth McFarlane into the interviews — but he sees TREK through fanboy googles.

When TREK tried to be those things overtly, like TMP and parts of TNG, it failed miserably. It failed to be drama about characters who overcome their own weaknesses and triumph in the face of adversity.

That's what made it optimistic. That we know our failings yet strive to move beyond them. Not that pedantic Utopia crap. The optimism was that man would survive into the future, still struggle to be better and, occasionally, be more than that.

TREK is at its best when it tells stories about the human condition with a healthy dose of action-adventure. Like Abrams' movie, TWOK and many episodes of the original.

Melakon wrote: View Post
Maybe we'll get something billed as Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek.
Now that's something I'd pay to see.

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Nah, J.J. is the man to get Ghostbusters III off the ground...finally.
Not until he brings back Barbarella!
Nah, let Abrams reboot BABYLON 5.
Old January 25 2013, 05:45 AM   #159
Ro_Laren
Commodore

If the next Star Wars film is due for release in 2015, then principal photography will take place in 2014 - Abrams could move on to directing another film in 2015 while supervising post production on Star Wars.

Mind you, he's not being brought into Star Wars to "reboot" or otherwise reshape it. He's being hired to direct one film, already written, in a series that they're evidently talking to other directors about continuing.
That's what I was thinking... and they could release the next Trek film on December 31, 2006. That would make it so that it is technically being released in time for the 50 year anniversary. At the same time, I still won't be suprised if Paramount doesn't release the next Trek film in 2016.

IMO, it would have been better if JJ never said that he wouldn't direct the next SW film out of loyalty to Trek fans. He set himself up and can now look to some as if he isn't being loyal to Trek fans. Of course, this is just gonna make the ST vs. SW rivalry even more heated!!

Ro_Laren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 05:48 AM   #160
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post
CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Star Wars fans have only have complained about the quality of the product and never about some misguided notion that the product was some phantom writ of their own creation.
Um... I assume this is a joke. The "... raped my childhood!" meme your sig references began with people saying it about Lucas. While I've met plenty of cool Star Wars fans, some of the most entitled things I've ever heard were about Lucas.
Exactly. Tons of fan edits of the prequels exist. And let's not forget all the Greedo shooting first outrage.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 05:52 AM   #161
Ro_Laren
Commodore

Ro_Laren wrote:
IMO, it would have been better if JJ never said that he wouldn't direct the next SW film out of loyalty to Trek fans. He set himself up and can now look to some as if he isn't being loyal to Trek fans. Of course, this is just gonna make the ST vs. SW rivalry even more heated!!
BTW, I don't mean to sound as if I believe that JJ is being disloyal to fans. I am just saying that I understand how it can be perceived that way.

If he wants to direct SW, that is fine by me. I just hope that it doesn't interfere with the Trek franchise / the ability for the next Trek film to be released in a timely manner (i.e. I hope that we don't have to wait years and years for the next one).
Ro_Laren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 05:54 AM   #162
lurok
Commodore

lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 05:58 AM   #163
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

200 quatloos on the redskirt!
Old January 25 2013, 06:16 AM   #164
Franklin
Rear Admiral

middyseafort wrote: View Post
Franklin wrote: View Post
"Entertainment Weekly" is saying it has confirmed the story in "The Wrap".

"The New York Times" is reporting it, too, but they just draw from "The Wrap" story.

The "LA Times" say they've confirmed it.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/01/2...wars-director/

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ar-wars-movie/

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2013/...s-episode-vii/

So ... not really confirmed. It's not confirmed unless there's a direct quote from someone with knowledge about the entire situation. As a former journalist, I wouldn't even use anonymous sources. If I can't use your name and quote you, then I didn't print it. Never lost a scoop because of that policy, by the way.
Well, Conan mentioned it, tonight on his show, so it must be real.
Old January 25 2013, 06:17 AM   #165
Melakon
Vice Admiral

MSN used a photo where it looks like he's giving all of us the finger.

--Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Melakon is online now   Reply With Quote