RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,358
Posts: 5,503,245
Members: 25,121
Currently online: 545
Newest member: almehtabshaikh

TrekToday headlines

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 25 2013, 02:13 AM   #1
Mister Atoz
Lieutenant
 
Mister Atoz's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles
FAULTY - the two worst TOS remastering mistakes

I have found two bad remastering mistakes so far, and as luck would have it, they are in sister episodes. They are mostly editorial errors, and they are both images depicted on a viewing screen. I'm looking at Blu-Ray Season 2, Doomsday Machine and Immunity Syndrome.

mistake 1

Doomsday: Kirk is on the Constellation and is getting his view screen working. Washburn says "Try it now, Captain." Kirk says "Yes I think...What the devil's going on?"

The error occurs here. In the original version, the cut to the view screen immediately shows the Enterprise firing at the Doomsday cone. That is what Kirk is reacting to.

In the remastered version, the view screen shows static interference on the screen FIRST, then it fades to the Enterprise and the cone. In the remastered cut, Kirk would not have any reason to say "What the devil's going on?" because he hasn't seen the Enterprise yet. Furthermore, the remastered version shows the screen with only the Enterprise in it, firing phasers, which weakens the logic of Kirk's reaction still further! Then later the cone comes into the screen view. Opinions on this? I think it hurts the scene a lot.

mistake 2

In Immunity, just prior to the appearance of the hole in space, Kirk says "scanners on". In the original version, it cuts to the view screen -- stars only. Then later, as you recall, Spock says "I would assume....that." At this point, the hole in space is first shown.

The error in the remastered version? Kirk says "scanners on" and the hole in space already appears on the screen, a full 18 seconds before it is supposed to appear.

I would welcome the submission of any other known remastering errors (but not aesthetic "mistakes" in the effects -- unless you feel you must.) Paramount, can you please repair my disks? David? Mike? Lucille? Anyone? ;o)

thanks

~ Mr Atoz
Mister Atoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 03:25 AM   #2
plynch
Commodore
 
plynch's Avatar
 
Location: Outer Graceland
View plynch's Twitter Profile
Re: FAULTY - the two worst TOS remastering mistakes

Having shots of the Enterprise look all cartoony when the rest of the show is live-action.
__________________
Author of Live Like Louis! Inspirational Stories from the Life of Louis Armstrong, http://livelikelouis.com
plynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 03:47 AM   #3
YARN
Fleet Captain
 
Re: FAULTY - the two worst TOS remastering mistakes

plynch wrote: View Post
Having shots of the Enterprise look all cartoony when the rest of the show is live-action.
The nacelle cap problem. Ughh. They should have gone back and fixed all the shots.
YARN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 05:40 AM   #4
jayrath
Fleet Captain
 
Location: West Hollywood, Calif., USA
Re: FAULTY - the two worst TOS remastering mistakes

Calling it "remastering" in the first place. Remastering is reorganizing existing elements, not introducing new material.
jayrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 05:44 AM   #5
plynch
Commodore
 
plynch's Avatar
 
Location: Outer Graceland
View plynch's Twitter Profile
Re: FAULTY - the two worst TOS remastering mistakes

YARN wrote: View Post
plynch wrote: View Post
Having shots of the Enterprise look all cartoony when the rest of the show is live-action.
The nacelle cap problem. Ughh. They should have gone back and fixed all the shots.
Rear endcap ball inconsistency, or front spikes?
__________________
Author of Live Like Louis! Inspirational Stories from the Life of Louis Armstrong, http://livelikelouis.com
plynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 07:26 AM   #6
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral
 
MauriceNavidad's Avatar
 
Location: Maurice in San Francisco
View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile
Re: FAULTY - the two worst TOS remastering mistakes

Mister Atoz points out exactly why it's dangerous to just change shots without examining the context in which those shots appear. That's a different issue than the quality of the replacement shots.
__________________
* * *
“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.”
― Winston S. Churchill
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 07:29 AM   #7
Mister Atoz
Lieutenant
 
Mister Atoz's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles
Re: FAULTY - the two worst TOS remastering mistakes

Yeah, can you please spell out what you mean by Nacelle cap problem?

thx

~ Atoz


plynch wrote: View Post
YARN wrote: View Post
plynch wrote: View Post
Having shots of the Enterprise look all cartoony when the rest of the show is live-action.
The nacelle cap problem. Ughh. They should have gone back and fixed all the shots.
Rear endcap ball inconsistency, or front spikes?
Mister Atoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 07:40 AM   #8
boobatuba
Rear Admiral
 
boobatuba's Avatar
 
Location: Stillwater, OK
Re: FAULTY - the two worst TOS remastering mistakes

Mister Atoz wrote: View Post
mistake 1

Doomsday: Kirk is on the Constellation and is getting his view screen working. Washburn says "Try it now, Captain." Kirk says "Yes I think...What the devil's going on?"

The error occurs here. In the original version, the cut to the view screen immediately shows the Enterprise firing at the Doomsday cone. That is what Kirk is reacting to.

In the remastered version, the view screen shows static interference on the screen FIRST, then it fades to the Enterprise and the cone. In the remastered cut, Kirk would not have any reason to say "What the devil's going on?" because he hasn't seen the Enterprise yet. Furthermore, the remastered version shows the screen with only the Enterprise in it, firing phasers, which weakens the logic of Kirk's reaction still further! Then later the cone comes into the screen view. Opinions on this? I think it hurts the scene a lot.
How do you know the sequence of events isn't as follows?

1. Viewscreen clears - Kirk sees Enterprise attacking weapon and reacts
2. Viewscreen shorts again back into "search" mode or whatever - camera perspective changes to viewscreen
3. Viewscreen again clears.

Calling this a "mistake" doesn't really wash for me. Kirk clearly sees SOMETHING and reacts, so obviously the viewscreen showed something, then fuzzed out again.
__________________
Your benevolent dictator for life.
boobatuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 09:26 AM   #9
Mister Atoz
Lieutenant
 
Mister Atoz's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles
Re: FAULTY - the two worst TOS remastering mistakes

Dear Boobatuba ~

You can pretend anything you like in terms of what you think Kirk sees on the screen, but the original version has much more impact because it cuts from Kirk looking at the screen in astonishment -- to the screen showing clearly what is happening with the Enterprise in imminent danger. In the new version, the whole thing is fuzzy, mushy, unclear. The new version makes it seem like he's saying "What the devil is going on?" in response to a fuzzy, non-working screen display!

For a first time viewer of the ep, the whole meaning of the edit has dramatically changed. It's a pretty important cut, too, because it leads up to Kirk ordering Spock to relieve Decker of command.

regards

~ Mr Atoz



boobatuba wrote: View Post
Mister Atoz wrote: View Post
mistake 1

Doomsday: Kirk is on the Constellation and is getting his view screen working. Washburn says "Try it now, Captain." Kirk says "Yes I think...What the devil's going on?"

The error occurs here. In the original version, the cut to the view screen immediately shows the Enterprise firing at the Doomsday cone. That is what Kirk is reacting to.

In the remastered version, the view screen shows static interference on the screen FIRST, then it fades to the Enterprise and the cone. In the remastered cut, Kirk would not have any reason to say "What the devil's going on?" because he hasn't seen the Enterprise yet. Furthermore, the remastered version shows the screen with only the Enterprise in it, firing phasers, which weakens the logic of Kirk's reaction still further! Then later the cone comes into the screen view. Opinions on this? I think it hurts the scene a lot.
How do you know the sequence of events isn't as follows?

1. Viewscreen clears - Kirk sees Enterprise attacking weapon and reacts
2. Viewscreen shorts again back into "search" mode or whatever - camera perspective changes to viewscreen
3. Viewscreen again clears.

Calling this a "mistake" doesn't really wash for me. Kirk clearly sees SOMETHING and reacts, so obviously the viewscreen showed something, then fuzzed out again.
Mister Atoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 10:36 AM   #10
boobatuba
Rear Admiral
 
boobatuba's Avatar
 
Location: Stillwater, OK
Re: FAULTY - the two worst TOS remastering mistakes

Mister Atoz wrote: View Post
Dear Boobatuba ~

You can pretend anything you like in terms of what you think Kirk sees on the screen, but the original version has much more impact because it cuts from Kirk looking at the screen in astonishment -- to the screen showing clearly what is happening with the Enterprise in imminent danger. In the new version, the whole thing is fuzzy, mushy, unclear. The new version makes it seem like he's saying "What the devil is going on?" in response to a fuzzy, non-working screen display!

For a first time viewer of the ep, the whole meaning of the edit has dramatically changed. It's a pretty important cut, too, because it leads up to Kirk ordering Spock to relieve Decker of command.

regards

~ Mr Atoz
I don't disagree that the scene is better before the change in what the viewscreen shows. But that's far from it being a "mistake," which is what you're alleging. It's just a different interpretation.

And, seriously? The few seconds of the viewscreen being fuzzy makes it harder to believe that Kirk would call the Enterprise to find out what's going on and reprimand Decker for putting his ship in danger when he finds out? Umm...he still sees that, regardless of if it's immediately or in a few seconds.

Is it really so hard to imagine that he says "what the devil's going on" because he makes something out briefly before the screen finally kicks in fully repaired? Why does he say, "Yes, I think..."? Could it possibly be that he's making some adjustments? Could he see the sensor readings of the Enterprise and machine in close proximity on some control panel and then look up to confirm the readings? I think you're picking one too many nits, here.
__________________
Your benevolent dictator for life.
boobatuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 12:07 PM   #11
SnowboredShipCapt'n
Commodore
 
SnowboredShipCapt'n's Avatar
 
Location: Chillin' with BoredShipCapt'n
Re: FAULTY - the two worst TOS remastering mistakes

^
Perhaps, but choosing to make this change is a bit of an intrusion by the "restorationist" into the role of the writer or director, because altering the subject of the eyeline-match shot alters the narrative, however slightly.
SnowboredShipCapt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 12:20 PM   #12
boobatuba
Rear Admiral
 
boobatuba's Avatar
 
Location: Stillwater, OK
Re: FAULTY - the two worst TOS remastering mistakes

BoredShipCapt'n wrote: View Post
^
Perhaps, but choosing to make this change is a bit of an intrusion by the "restorationist" into the role of the writer or director, because altering the subject of the eyeline-match shot alters the narrative, however slightly.
A bit of an intrusion, sure. I'll agree with that completely.

A "mistake"? No, I won't go that far.
__________________
Your benevolent dictator for life.
boobatuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 01:16 PM   #13
Mister Atoz
Lieutenant
 
Mister Atoz's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles
Re: FAULTY - the two worst TOS remastering mistakes

boobatuba wrote: View Post
BoredShipCapt'n wrote: View Post
^
Perhaps, but choosing to make this change is a bit of an intrusion by the "restorationist" into the role of the writer or director, because altering the subject of the eyeline-match shot alters the narrative, however slightly.
A bit of an intrusion, sure. I'll agree with that completely.

A "mistake"? No, I won't go that far.



Hmmm, interesting discussion! Well, you're entitled to your opinion (and your avatar) Boobatuba, but the remastering team had no right to so significantly change the meaning and impact of that cut. The music score from genius Sol Kaplan tells you exactly what's supposed to be happening -- WHAM!!!! In a microsecond we are whacked by the visual snapshot of the Enterprise at the maw of the cone.

The remastering denies the visual impact of that cut, and instead puts "video static" where there was none before!!! Call me a purist if you must, but that's some pretty major tampering.


regards

~ Mr Atoz
Mister Atoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 02:25 PM   #14
SnowboredShipCapt'n
Commodore
 
SnowboredShipCapt'n's Avatar
 
Location: Chillin' with BoredShipCapt'n
Re: FAULTY - the two worst TOS remastering mistakes


FAULTY! FAULTY!
SnowboredShipCapt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 02:47 PM   #15
Redfern
Commodore
 
Redfern's Avatar
 
Location: Georgia, USA
Re: FAULTY - the two worst TOS remastering mistakes

Now somebody should "'Shop" a pair of silicone implants onto Nomad's casing and caption the image to read, "Falsies! Falsies!!!"

Sincerely,

Bill
__________________
Tempt the Hand of Fate and it'll give you the "finger"!

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
doomsday machine, remastering errors

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.