Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Closed Thread

Old January 25 2013, 02:14 AM   #196
Dream
Admiral

Re: Abrams turns Star Wars because of his "loyalty" to Trek

Bob Karo wrote: View Post
Is it too early to give a totally meaningless nomination to Brad Bird to direct Trek XIII?
Bird will direct SW VIII.

Last edited by Dream; January 25 2013 at 02:31 AM.
Old January 25 2013, 02:26 AM   #197
Harvey
Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
It's quite funny that TUC cost $27 million, LESS than TFF, but TUC still looks so much better!
I think $27 million is a little low; the production budget in the Nick Meyer papers lists the cost of the film at $29.16 million.

I think it looks better for two main reasons: (1) ILM did the visual effects and (2) the darker color palette was more forgiving than Shatner's brighter tones. Shatner's picture actually had a lot more location photography than Meyer's.

Meyer's film also exerted a little more effort than Shatner's in redressing the Enterprise-D interiors, which helps.

Still, it has a lot of flimsy office chairs at the end.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old January 25 2013, 02:34 AM   #198
The Wormhole
Admiral

You realize what this means: Star Wars Episode 7 won't have an opening crawl since Abrams will fear it gives away too much about the film. Yep, the same draconian anti-spoiler tactics currently plaguing Trek will be applied to SW. In fact, you can give up finding out anything about Episode 7.

We'll learn the actors who'll be in the movie, but we won't be told the characters they'll be playing.

Oh, and we can stop calling Episode 7. It's now Episode 07.
Old January 25 2013, 02:57 AM   #199
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
You realize what this means: Star Wars Episode 7 won't have an opening crawl since Abrams will fear it gives away too much about the film. Yep, the same draconian anti-spoiler tactics currently plaguing Trek will be applied to SW. In fact, you can give up finding out anything about Episode 7.
So? Since when is squashing spoilers a bad thing? Especially where STAR WARS is concerned.

I still wish I hadn't been spoiled about the twists in EMPIRE . . . .
Old January 25 2013, 03:02 AM   #200
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
So? Since when is squashing spoilers a bad thing?
It's not. It's a good thing.

And the crawl isn't going anywhere.
Old January 25 2013, 03:15 AM   #201
The Wormhole
Admiral

So? Since when is squashing spoilers a bad thing? Especially where STAR WARS is concerned.

I still wish I hadn't been spoiled about the twists in EMPIRE . . . .
I have always had prior knowledge of Star Wars movies. I saw the original trilogy for the first time when I was 10 years old in 1995 so thanks to hearing about them (primarily from Simpsons episodes, interestingly enough) I knew all the basics. In fact, I remember the first time I saw ANH being confused when Obi-Wan told Luke "A young pupil of mine, Darth Vader betrayed and murdered your father." I sat there thinking "But I thought Darth Vader was his father?"

Let's face facts, the prequels didn't include anything particularly surprising, and fishing for spoilers online was an obvious necessity. And even if one didn't read spoilers, well, it was pretty obvious what had to happen. To quote a conversation about Episode 3 before its release "Is Mace Windu going to die?" "He kind of has to, doesn't he?"

Spoilers and Star Wars go hand in hand. The very idea of seeing a Star Wars movie where I have no idea of what is going to happen is not only frightening, it's obscene.
Old January 25 2013, 03:22 AM   #202
Hunter X
Rear Admiral

You could always wait until 2033 to watch Episode VII. That would be the same amount of time between Star Wars originally coming out and you seeing it in 1995. I imagine by that time the J. J. Abrams shroud of secrecy will be lifted, and you will be able to spoil yourself to your heart's content before watching the film.
Old January 25 2013, 03:30 AM   #203
The Wormhole
Admiral

Hunter X wrote: View Post
You could always wait until 2033 to watch Episode VII. That would be the same amount of time between Star Wars originally coming out and you seeing it in 1995. I imagine by that time the J. J. Abrams shroud of secrecy will be lifted, and you will be able to spoil yourself to your heart's content before watching the film.
You're missing the point: I would still have to wait to find out something about the movie.
Old January 25 2013, 03:31 AM   #204
RoJoHen
Awesome

That sounds like your problem, not Abrams'.
Old January 25 2013, 03:35 AM   #205
Kegg
Rear Admiral

So what's the problem with Abrams doing both Wars and Trek, as long as the scheduling works?
Is that's what happening, though?

I'd assumed if Abrams is directing Star Wars he's doing what Bryan Singer did with the X-Men franchise. That's really my concern at this point - how it impacts the Trek franchise.
Old January 25 2013, 03:41 AM   #206
The Wormhole
Admiral

Kegg wrote: View Post
I'd assumed if Abrams is directing Star Wars he's doing what Bryan Singer did with the X-Men franchise. That's really my concern at this point - how it impacts the Trek franchise.
Brett Ratner will direct Trek XIII. Hey, it can't be any worse than XI.
Old January 25 2013, 03:41 AM   #207
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

This is fantastic news. He'll do a great job. The runner-up was apparently Ben Affleck who would have also done a great, great job.
Old January 25 2013, 03:47 AM   #208
Tom Servo
Commodore

Kegg wrote: View Post
Brett Ratner will direct Trek XIII. Hey, it can't be any worse than XI.
And with that line, you've lost me completely.

Member of Red Sox Nation
Old January 25 2013, 04:24 AM   #209
lennier1
Commodore

Abrams? Couldn't they have handed it to someone who'll do less damage, like Uwe Boll?
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
Old January 25 2013, 04:48 AM   #210
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Spoilers and Star Wars go hand in hand. The very idea of seeing a Star Wars movie where I have no idea of what is going to happen is not only frightening, it's obscene.
Whereas I literally camped out on the sidewalks outside the UA 150 theater in Seattle to see both EMPIRE and JEDI on their opening nights. So, to me, going in blind is not obscene; it's the way things always used to be.

And, yes, I'm old enough to remember when there wasn't an internet posting spoilers on-line everyday. All we had was STARLOG magazine . . . .