RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,703
Posts: 5,431,669
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 416
Newest member: PlainSimplGarak


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old January 24 2013, 07:55 PM   #886
Use of Time
Commodore
 
Use of Time's Avatar
 
Location: Va. Beach, VA
Re: NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Except that the people actually on trial essential conceded that they killed people, they argued self-defense. That almost always comes down to the credibility of the witnesses. What possible obstruction of justice could have resulted in a finding of self-defense?
Lewis admitted he gave misleading statements to police the morning after the killings. He acknowledged he misled them and plead guilty. I'm not questioning the fact that his friends worked in self defense. I've never called him a murderer. I'm just saying misleading the police in a double homicide is not a sign of maturity or some remarkable story of courage.
__________________
Searching for something, a million miles and a ways to go.
Use of Time is offline  
Old January 24 2013, 09:02 PM   #887
gblews
Rear Admiral
 
gblews's Avatar
 
Location: So. Cal.
View gblews's Twitter Profile
Re: NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

Yoda wrote: View Post
Honestly, even if he was totally innocent of any wrongdoing in that incident he's still an insufferable tool .
That idiotic dance alone is enough to make me root against them.

Go 9ers.
__________________
Duckman: I'll never forget the last thing my father said to me...
Cornfed: "Careful son, I don't think the safety's on"?
Duckman: BEFORE THAT!!!
gblews is offline  
Old January 24 2013, 09:46 PM   #888
Caligula
Vice Admiral
 
Caligula's Avatar
 
Location: Knoxville, TN USA
Re: NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

So, kicking a man in the balls is a lesser offense than not pulling your socks up. Got it. Or does that only apply if you're Tom Brady? What's this one gonna be called... the "Slide Rule"?
Caligula is offline  
Old January 24 2013, 09:47 PM   #889
tighr
Commodore
 
tighr's Avatar
 
Location: California
Re: NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

Use of Time wrote: View Post
I'm just saying misleading the police in a double homicide is not a sign of maturity or some remarkable story of courage.
And it was 13 years ago, and Ray Lewis has done many great and charitable things since then. Not sure what you want, his head on a pike or something?
__________________
~Tighr™: Not helping the situation since 1983
tighr is offline  
Old January 24 2013, 10:01 PM   #890
Use of Time
Commodore
 
Use of Time's Avatar
 
Location: Va. Beach, VA
Re: NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

tighr wrote: View Post
Use of Time wrote: View Post
I'm just saying misleading the police in a double homicide is not a sign of maturity or some remarkable story of courage.
And it was 13 years ago, and Ray Lewis has done many great and charitable things since then. Not sure what you want, his head on a pike or something?
You have to realize how empty those words you just wrote might seem to the victims family right?

If you read what I said you would see that I am not calling him a murderer, I'm just saying there are much better choices for leadership and role models than Ray Lewis.

Do I want his head on a pike? No, stop trying to put words in my mouth.
__________________
Searching for something, a million miles and a ways to go.
Use of Time is offline  
Old January 24 2013, 10:07 PM   #891
tighr
Commodore
 
tighr's Avatar
 
Location: California
Re: NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

You just seem to be on some kind of rampage against the man. He plead guilty to obstruction; he cooperated with the prosecution and testified against his friends, those who admitted to killing but in self-defense; since then, Ray Lewis has not gotten into further trouble and by all examples has actually been a great role model who has learned from his mistakes.

I never said that those things take away from the victim's families; of course they still suffered a loss. But given the choice of A) Ray Lewis continuing to be a thug, and B) Ray Lewis changing into a positive influence in underprivileged youth's lives so they don't make the same mistakes he did? I guarantee the victim's families would say they'd rather Ray Lewis be that positive influence. Nothing will bring a victim back from the dead, but that doesn't mean the world can't be a better place.
__________________
~Tighr™: Not helping the situation since 1983
tighr is offline  
Old January 24 2013, 11:05 PM   #892
Use of Time
Commodore
 
Use of Time's Avatar
 
Location: Va. Beach, VA
Re: NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

tighr wrote: View Post
You just seem to be on some kind of rampage against the man. He plead guilty to obstruction; he cooperated with the prosecution and testified against his friends, those who admitted to killing but in self-defense; since then, Ray Lewis has not gotten into further trouble and by all examples has actually been a great role model who has learned from his mistakes.

I never said that those things take away from the victim's families; of course they still suffered a loss. But given the choice of A) Ray Lewis continuing to be a thug, and B) Ray Lewis changing into a positive influence in underprivileged youth's lives so they don't make the same mistakes he did? I guarantee the victim's families would say they'd rather Ray Lewis be that positive influence. Nothing will bring a victim back from the dead, but that doesn't mean the world can't be a better place.
Why do you keep trying to put words into my mouth. There is no rampage, quit being dramatic. Has Ray Lewis stayed out of trouble since then? Yep. It's just that you referenced 13 years as some sort of cleanser when two people were killed and nobody went to jail. As far as the victim's family goes...here is what they have to say and it's not good.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...-2000/1566198/
__________________
Searching for something, a million miles and a ways to go.
Use of Time is offline  
Old January 24 2013, 11:57 PM   #893
tighr
Commodore
 
tighr's Avatar
 
Location: California
Re: NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

Use of Time wrote: View Post
It's just that you referenced 13 years as some sort of cleanser when two people were killed and nobody went to jail.
I mentioned "13 years" in response to your claim that Lewis has not demonstrated maturity nor courage. He has surely grown since then.

I'll let you have the last word on the subject, we have football to discuss.
__________________
~Tighr™: Not helping the situation since 1983
tighr is offline  
Old January 25 2013, 12:21 AM   #894
Use of Time
Commodore
 
Use of Time's Avatar
 
Location: Va. Beach, VA
Re: NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

tighr wrote: View Post
Use of Time wrote: View Post
It's just that you referenced 13 years as some sort of cleanser when two people were killed and nobody went to jail.
I mentioned "13 years" in response to your claim that Lewis has not demonstrated maturity nor courage. He has surely grown since then.

I'll let you have the last word on the subject, we have football to discuss.
Gotcha, for the record I don't hate Ray Lewis. This whole discussion stemmed from that article about bringing up the past so that's what I was focusing on. It kind of came off as an excuse and I was just sharing my feelings on that incident. I'm all for second chances and Ray has been clean during a career that will be nearly impossible for anyone to else to duplicate. After that incident Ray had two choices. Either continue to associate with people that would have eventually ruined his life or make big lifestyle choices and embrace the tremendous responsibility that comes with being the face of a franchise. Ray made the right choice and should be commended for that.
__________________
Searching for something, a million miles and a ways to go.
Use of Time is offline  
Old January 25 2013, 01:42 AM   #895
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

Use of Time wrote: View Post
Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Except that the people actually on trial essential conceded that they killed people, they argued self-defense. That almost always comes down to the credibility of the witnesses. What possible obstruction of justice could have resulted in a finding of self-defense?
Lewis admitted he gave misleading statements to police the morning after the killings. He acknowledged he misled them and plead guilty. I'm not questioning the fact that his friends worked in self defense. I've never called him a murderer. I'm just saying misleading the police in a double homicide is not a sign of maturity or some remarkable story of courage.
And then he pled guilty to doing exactly that. I agree completely that misleading the police is not a sign of maturity. However, taking responsibility for misleading the police and then turning your life around to start doing good things in the community is. It's also possible to mature in 13 years.

You say you never called him a murderer, but you start talking about the victims's families. Victims of his obstruction? Did you want him to be sentenced to murder because he obstructed justice or do you want him sentenced to obstruction of justice for obstruction of justice?
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline  
Old January 25 2013, 04:10 AM   #896
Use of Time
Commodore
 
Use of Time's Avatar
 
Location: Va. Beach, VA
Re: NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Use of Time wrote: View Post
Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Except that the people actually on trial essential conceded that they killed people, they argued self-defense. That almost always comes down to the credibility of the witnesses. What possible obstruction of justice could have resulted in a finding of self-defense?
Lewis admitted he gave misleading statements to police the morning after the killings. He acknowledged he misled them and plead guilty. I'm not questioning the fact that his friends worked in self defense. I've never called him a murderer. I'm just saying misleading the police in a double homicide is not a sign of maturity or some remarkable story of courage.
And then he pled guilty to doing exactly that. I agree completely that misleading the police is not a sign of maturity. However, taking responsibility for misleading the police and then turning your life around to start doing good things in the community is. It's also possible to mature in 13 years.

You say you never called him a murderer, but you start talking about the victims's families. Victims of his obstruction? Did you want him to be sentenced to murder because he obstructed justice or do you want him sentenced to obstruction of justice for obstruction of justice?
I thought my last statement was enough to put the matter to rest. Is that not enough for you? I have no idea what you are even trying to say in your second paragraph. I don't "want" anything but for some people to have a little perspective when it comes to Lewis. That's it. I don't understand why it matters so much to you what I think of him. The guy is going to be a a first ballot Hall of Famer and I will be subjected to watching him as an ESPN analyst.
__________________
Searching for something, a million miles and a ways to go.
Use of Time is offline  
Old January 25 2013, 04:18 AM   #897
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

Having perspective on Lewis is all I want too, which is why I posted the link in the first place. Since many people call him a murderer, it's worth pointing out the actual evidence.
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline  
Old January 29 2013, 09:45 PM   #898
poundpuppy29
Lieutenant Commander
 
poundpuppy29's Avatar
 
Location: Massachusetts
View poundpuppy29's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to poundpuppy29 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to poundpuppy29 Send a message via Yahoo to poundpuppy29
Re: NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

I just wanted to say the Pats lost fair & square I am rooting for the 49ners because my cousin is from SF and he is a sports fan the other one in my family so it would make him happy but I am not sure if I will even watch I really don't care either way & the commercials used to be funny & interesting but they really haven't been in the past couple of years.
__________________
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...finalIRRH1.jpg
My Fav Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Fav Ships, Fav Characters, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
poundpuppy29 is offline  
Old January 31 2013, 07:41 AM   #899
Roger Wilco
Admiral
 
Roger Wilco's Avatar
 
Re: NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

Ray Lewis: Doping accusations are a trick of the devil!"

hahaha, that's a good one, I don't think I've heard that before.
__________________
Don't be a douche.
Roger Wilco is offline  
Old January 31 2013, 04:51 PM   #900
1001001
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!
 
1001001's Avatar
 
Location: People's Gaypublic of Drugafornia
Re: NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Having perspective on Lewis is all I want too, which is why I posted the link in the first place. Since many people call him a murderer, it's worth pointing out the actual evidence.
I blame the deer antler spray.

Probably what got Dan Marino as well.

__________________
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.