RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,674
Members: 24,201
Currently online: 592
Newest member: KieBH84

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 25 2013, 01:29 AM   #76
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Re: Abrams Directing Star Wars

I think this is excellent news.

Since Episode VII was first announced, Abrams has always been the right guy for the job.

I also don't think he will completely turn his back on Star Trek. He he doesn't direct part three himself, he will at the very least produce it--like he had originally talked about with STiD.

No one's childhood is going to be ruined. The world will continue to turn, and these two great franchises will continue to flourish.

Beyerstein wrote: View Post
I hope Paramount doesn't waste any time moving forward with the next movie.

No more for year gaps.

Also this must be a pretty big slap in the face to Paramount. They were super patient with J.J. They put the entire Star Trek franchise on hold to wait for him to do SUPER 8.

wow
Nonsense.
Old January 25 2013, 01:32 AM   #77
Beyerstein
Captain

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Kamdan wrote: View Post
Who should replace him for the third film?
But why assume at this point that he'll need replacing?
We've already seen the glacier pace J.J. movies at..

Even if Paramount were somehow okay with this

I'd say its a given

The question now is does STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS just become a big star wars commercial?

all the press and promotion for the film is just gonna be questions about JJ leaving for star wars.

I'd say Paramount has to be pretty pissed.
Beyerstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 01:42 AM   #78
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Jeyl wrote: View Post
SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
Jeyl wrote: View Post
JJ has officially lied to Star Trek.

That's it, I'm boycotting.
I'm only calling for a boycott if JJ doesn't say the following when it comes to directing the new Star Wars film.

"I am not making this for Star Wars fans. I am making this for movie fans."

Since he's an outspoken fan of Star Wars and NOT a fan of Star Trek, I highly doubt he'll say anything as condescending towards his fan favorite franchise.

Why take any of this so personally? Nobody got "lied" to in any way that matters, except in the sense that somebody changed their mind or wasn't at liberty to reveal what was really going on behind the scenes at the time. It's just business, not a personal affront.

And I'm not thin-skinned enough to find anything "condescending" about that earlier comment. Abrams was absolutely right. STAR TREK is not just for Trekkies only, and never has been. You need to appeal to the general audiences, too. What's wrong with saying that?

Plus, hypothetically, why couldn't Abrams do STAR TREK and STAR WARS and--who knows?--maybe James Bond or Jurassic Park or Doctor Who as well?

He's not married to STAR TREK. He's allowed to see other people.
Old January 25 2013, 01:44 AM   #79
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

The question now is does STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS just become a big star wars commercial?
This will just serve to sell more tickets. I don't see a downside.
Old January 25 2013, 01:44 AM   #80
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Four years between films is rather common for most franchises, even Star Trek.

Even if Paramount were somehow okay with this
It's fine with it.

I'd say its a given
You have no idea.

No.

It has already created plenty of buzz on its own.

all the press and promotion for the film is just gonna be questions about JJ leaving for star wars.
Who said he was leaving?

That's not how pressers work.

Interest in STiD and (presumably) part 3 just skyrocketed. Paramount couldn't be happier.
Old January 25 2013, 01:56 AM   #81
Franklin
Rear Admiral

What the Mouse wants, the Mouse gets. And nobody gets in the Mouse's way. Abrams got an offer from the Mouse he couldn't refuse. Nuthin' personal.

Given how some fans felt STID took a back burner to other Abrams projects (hence, waiting four years), imagine their uproar if he decides to at least produce STXII, and the project is delayed by the SW movie.

I doubt Paramount's pissed. Nonplussed at worst. I bet if they thought it would help, they may even begin promotions for STID with, "From the director who will bring you the next 'Star Wars' movie...."

Abrams going to SW is a little like Roy Williams leaving Kansas for North Carolina. How could KU alum begrudge him returning to his first love after all the success he had with KU? And it's not like things have been bad for KU since Williams left. I'll hold onto that as a metaphor for what just happened here.
Old January 25 2013, 02:09 AM   #82
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Franklin wrote: View Post
Abrams going to SW is a little like Roy Williams leaving Kansas for North Carolina. How could KU alum begrudge him returning to his first love after all the success he had with KU? And it's not like things have been bad for KU since Williams left. I'll hold onto that as a metaphor for what just happened here.
I know KU people that still hate Roy Williams.

Trek supposedly inspried Lucas to work in Sci-Fi. The big box office of Star Wars moved Star Trek from Phase 2 to TMP, right? They've been linked before.

I have zero knowledge of 'the industry' but as has been said in this thread if word was that 'Into Darkness' was crap I doubt this would have happened.
Old January 25 2013, 02:30 AM   #83
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Also this must be a pretty big slap in the face to Paramount.
In what way is this any sort of a slap? I think the "slap in the face" thing is overused these days, to the point of having become meaningless. Sort of like "reboot" has.

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Kamdan wrote: View Post
Who should replace him for the third film?
But why assume at this point that he'll need replacing?
Taking into account all of the things Abrams has been doing besides directing movies, he actually looks pretty busy to me.
Old January 25 2013, 02:34 AM   #84
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Corran Horn wrote: View Post

Trek supposedly inspried Lucas to work in Sci-Fi. The big box office of Star Wars moved Star Trek from Phase 2 to TMP, right? They've been linked before.
Heck, if you look at the books, you've had people crossing back and forth since the beginning. Case in point: Alan Dean Foster, who wrote the first two STAR WARS novels and has also written numerous TREK books, including the novelization of the most recent TREK movie.
Old January 25 2013, 02:36 AM   #85
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post

Heck, if you look at the books, you've had people crossing back and forth since the beginning. Case in point: Alan Dean Foster, who wrote the first two STAR WARS novels and has also written numerous TREK books, including the novelization of the most recent TREK movie.
Oh absolutely. Christie Golden has done both. So has KW Jeter. (I'm sure you knew that)
Old January 25 2013, 02:38 AM   #86
Franklin
Rear Admiral

I have zero knowledge of 'the industry' but as has been said in this thread if word was that 'Into Darkness' was crap I doubt this would have happened.
Well, those KU people can give me all their 2008 NCAA Tournament Champions t-shirts if they want. I'll just cross out KU and put ISU.

As you and Legion speculated earlier, the inside buzz on STID must be good for Disney to be hungry for Abrams. Conversely, if one is a SW fan, I think it would be a good sign all around to have Abrams on board. If he didn't see the entire script while he was deciding, I'm sure he saw huge chunks of it. If he didn't like it, I can't imagine he'd have agreed to direct it. (I wonder if he had to sign a secrecy oath if he did see the script?)
Old January 25 2013, 02:40 AM   #87
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post

Oh absolutely. Christie Golden has done both. So has KW Jeter. (I'm sure you knew that)
And Vonda McIntyre and Ann Crispin and others I'm no doubt forgetting . . . .
Old January 25 2013, 02:44 AM   #88
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Well, those KU people can give me all their 2008 NCAA Tournament Champions t-shirts if they want. I'll just cross out KU and put ISU.

As you and Legion speculated earlier, the inside buzz on STID must be good for Disney to be hungry for Abrams. Conversely, if one is a SW fan, I think it would be a good sign all around to have Abrams on board. If he didn't see the entire script while he was deciding, I'm sure he saw huge chunks of it. If he didn't like it, I can't imagine he'd have agreed to direct it. (I wonder if he had to sign a secrecy oath if he did see the script?)
Unfortunately the 'conversely' I was thinking was that if Zack Snyder isn't doing it that might mean the new Superman movie isn't that great. Of course that's totally uninformed speculation.
Old January 25 2013, 02:48 AM   #89
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Interest in STiD and (presumably) part 3 just skyrocketed. Paramount couldn't be happier.
Exactly.
Old January 25 2013, 02:50 AM   #90
Melakon
Rear Admiral

Maybe we'll get something billed as Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek.