To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 24 2013, 07:32 AM   #391
JD
Admiral

Re: Once Upon A Time - Season 2 Thread

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Many of the fairy tales and other fictional characters being referenced are older than Disney itself, which has become something of a central clearing house for such things. It could be argued that many of these stories could have their roots in much older kinds of mythology that have been repackaged by Disney at a later time for children's consumption. I'm not a student of fairy tale history, but that would be my guess.
The homogenization and sanitation of Fairy Tales predate Disney. Though I'm fairly certain that names like Belle (Beauty and the Beast), Aurora, Phillip and Malecifent (Sleeping Beauty) originated with Disney. So the versions we see in Once Upon a Time are influenced by the Disney versions.
A couple months ago I was researching Fairy Tale characters on Wikipedia, and it says that the main character in Sleeping Beauty was also named Aurora in the Tchaikovsky/Vsevolozhsky ballet, which was first performed in 1890.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 09:03 PM   #392
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

pics of Cassidy Freeman as Jack
Old January 24 2013, 09:59 PM   #393
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Kinda reminds me of Elizabeth Banks.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 10:21 PM   #394
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Hope this doesn't mean she's off Longmire.
Old January 25 2013, 12:38 AM   #395
JD
Admiral

Finally watched the new episode today. I liked it, there were a lot of very interesting developments in this one. I'm very curious to see where things are going now.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 06:50 PM   #396
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

Once Upon a Time has returned

There was a lot to like about the episode. I enjoyed seeing giants and I hope that Cassidy Freeman returns.

I liked seeing how anxious Rumplestiltskin was without magic.

I thought the conversation about David's name was really funny.

Regina showing up at Snow's house seemed a bit...odd.

Did the flight attendant say they were on an Ajira domestic flight? I was looking/listening for references to Oceanic airways but I didn't spot any.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 06:57 PM   #397
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

trekkiebaggio wrote: View Post

There was a lot to like about the episode. I enjoyed seeing giants and I hope that Cassidy Freeman returns.

Did the flight attendant say they were on an Ajira domestic flight? I was looking/listening for references to Oceanic airways but I didn't spot any.
I kept hoping it was Cora impersonating Regina. I know the dialog doesn't support that, but Regina was trying so hard, just to let Cora unravel all her progress. I kinda wanted her to succeed.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 07:18 PM   #398
stj
Rear Admiral

Snow's need to make sure Regina knows she has no rights was quite inappropriate immediately after admitting they were wrong about her. Is she trying to drive her crazy mad again?
Old February 11 2013, 08:07 PM   #399
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

No Oceanic reference but yeah, they were on an Ajira flight.

Other Lost references: An episode of Expose begins during the Ruby/Belle scene. Expose announcer is voiced by Lost co-creator Damon Lindelof, the Jules Verne novel "The Mysterious Island" is an allusion to the Island from Lost.
Old February 11 2013, 08:13 PM   #400
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

stj wrote: View Post
Snow's need to make sure Regina knows she has no rights was quite inappropriate immediately after admitting they were wrong about her. Is she trying to drive her crazy mad again?
Especially since Regina is presumably still Henry's legal guardian, unless the Maine family courts automatically reassign custody when the adopted mother is revealed to be an Evil Queen.

Meanwhile, did either Belle or Greg Mendel notice the fifty-foot-tall giant stomping through the town?
Old February 11 2013, 08:21 PM   #401
sojourner
Vice Admiral

So, we can assume that down the line any that want to go home eventually do? How many do you think will be taking textbooks of science and technology back? How long before the newly industrialized Enchanted Forest realm becomes the super power of fairy tale world?
Old February 11 2013, 08:34 PM   #402
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

Vendikarr wrote: View Post

I kept hoping it was Cora impersonating Regina. I know the dialog doesn't support that, but Regina was trying so hard, just to let Cora unravel all her progress. I kinda wanted her to succeed.
I felt like it was Cora too.
Old February 11 2013, 11:38 PM   #403
Aragorn
Admiral

Next week's preview boasts about possibly "the biggest bombshell yet," but doesn't everyone expect Neal Cassidy to be Bae with the way this show does things? It would be a bigger surprise if he turned out not to be Bae.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 11:57 PM   #404
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

^^ That's what I've been expecting since the season premiere. Sometimes I think it's too obvious.

So is Hurley going to be a regular now, as the biggest dwarf ever? I sure hope so. I wonder how many other refugees from Lost we can squeeze in. I want Yunjin Kim back.

Nervous Rumpy was amusing, and it shows that he's still the frightened man he was before the curse. I wonder if he'll learn something about himself.

I like the idea of the new beanstalk. If the show evolves into something that involves multiple other dimensions, I'll be happy with that.
Old February 12 2013, 12:03 AM   #405
propita
Rear Admiral

They're writing Belle kinda stupidly, imo. Here she is with amnesia, and she's asking Ruby--and everyone else who calls her Belle--"Why are you calling me that?" Well, Gold freaking her out aside, if you don't know your own name people who aren't acting creepy are calling you Belle and telling you that it's your name, it's highly likely they're calling you Belle because it IS your name. I don't mind the plot, I just wish she was written a bit better.

You'd think that when Ruby comes around, acting nice and seemingly familiar, that she might just ask, "Is Belle really my name? What else can you tell me? Why can't I remember?" I know, plot device. But silly. Belle can have amnesia, be calm, notice there's weird stuff going on around her, and still be able to resonate with the stranger/texter.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote