RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,679
Members: 24,204
Currently online: 881
Newest member: Bashir Trikona

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 24 2013, 05:38 PM   #16
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile
Re: Olympus Has Fallen trailer (Gerard Butler, Aaron Eckhart, Ashley J

ryan123450 wrote: View Post
It's interesting how movies always come out in twos.
I'm thinking "threes"... Gotta bet that Asylum Pictures will be putting out a knockoff picture starying C. Thomas Howell as the President and Ernie Hudson in the Speaker's role.

Coming Soon - "The White House has Fallen Down"....
Old January 24 2013, 05:57 PM   #17
Garak
Nothing's for freeeeeeeee

I thought it would be total shit but that trailer actually surprised me. Not saying I'd pay to go see it, but it might be worth a watch somewhere down the road.
Old January 24 2013, 07:53 PM   #18
Aragorn
Admiral

marillion wrote: View Post
I'm thinking "threes"... Gotta bet that Asylum Pictures will be putting out a knockoff picture starying C. Thomas Howell as the President and Ernie Hudson in the Speaker's role.

I'm surprised they didn't get C. Thomas Howell to be in their Hitcher knockoff. That would've taken it to a whole new level.

There's actually nothing listed on their website to ride the coattails of White House Down and Olympus Has Fallen. Their next ripoff is of Jack the Giant Slayer.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 08:24 PM   #19
Data Holmes
Admiral

Aragorn wrote: View Post
marillion wrote: View Post

I'm surprised they didn't get C. Thomas Howell to be in their Hitcher knockoff. That would've taken it to a whole new level.

There's actually nothing listed on their website to ride the coattails of White House Down and Olympus Has Fallen. Their next ripoff is of Jack the Giant Slayer.
Give them two weeks. And, I'm not kidding. I read once that they only need four to six weeks to go from "concept" to finished product pressed and shipped.
Old January 24 2013, 08:55 PM   #20
JRS
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to JRS

Could be fun action film
I have to say that I have thing for movies about the President of US and Secret Service, so this will be something I want to see.
Plus it has Freeman, Mitchell and Judd also
I do not mind Butler myself and the cast in this seems somewhat more interesting than in the other one mentioned.
"Always give your best, never get discouraged, never be petty; always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself " - Richard Nixon
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 09:21 PM   #21
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^Just about, though. Tatum Channing and Gerard Butler are equally bland leads. WHD has got Jamie Foxx as the POTUS, James Woods, Maggie Gyllenhall, Richard Jenkins, Lance Reddick, Garcelle Beauvais and Jason Clarke (Zero Dark Thirty).

Mind you, I still think that that silly-but-fun White House storyline in S7 of 24 is likely to have been mnore entertaining than both these movies put together.
Old January 24 2013, 09:29 PM   #22
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Forbin wrote: View Post
There's gotta be some corporate espionage or something going on when that happens.

Ghost/Always
Deep Impact/Armageddon
Friends with Benefits/No strings Attached
Etc/etc...
It happens all the time, and studios don't even try to be surreptitious about it.

Essentially what happens is: writer has is script and makes his pitch to the studios. They all take notes during the pitch. If more than one studio likes it, then, instead of getting into a bidding war, one will just pass the notes off to a staff writer.

Oh. And film looks terrible.
Old January 25 2013, 12:29 AM   #23
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
^But wasn't Air Force One Die Hard on, er, Air Force One?!
Yeah. Sure. But at least Air Force One felt like an interesting take on the Die Hard On A... This is taking one that's already been done.
Old January 25 2013, 03:24 PM   #24
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^True, making the POTUS himself the action hero was a novel twist. And Harrison Ford on his worst, even in the likes of Firewall, is still 100 times better than Gerard Butler.
Old January 25 2013, 05:19 PM   #25
Gaith
Rear Admiral

^Just about, though. Tatum Channing and Gerard Butler are equally bland leads.
I'm a straight dude and all, but Channing is so damn handsome even his alleged blankness can't help but be compelling to me. Like Keanu, except believable in his non-superpowered physical badassery.

Butler, OTOH, is like a poor man's Russel Crowe. He was good in Mrs. Brown, alongside Judi Dench, and he and his beard fit the hyper-reality of 300, but remove the beard and stick him in an actioner, all you've got is a cologne model.

And gah, don't remind me of Firewall! That brief shot of Indiana Jones tackling the T-1000 was in no way worth the agony, and I saw it for free with a live Ford Q&A afterwards!
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2013, 01:15 AM   #26
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

^True, making the POTUS himself the action hero was a novel twist. And Harrison Ford on his worst, even in the likes of Firewall, is still 100 times better than Gerard Butler.
Yep. This movie will do about as well as Butler's soccer movie.
Old January 26 2013, 10:50 AM   #27
throwback
Captain

When I saw that slow moving Hercules, as compared to a fighter plane, approach DC, I thought, where are the fighters?

I get the feeling that people who did this movie and the second Die Hard are completely ignorant about DC and the surrounding vicinity. There are two major airbases in that vicinity - Andrews and Langley. This limits the possibility of an attacking plane to hitting the WH to nil in this post-911 world.

I am curious, why didn't the film makers go for a different time setting and base on a potential scenario that happened in the past. For example, the US is involved in a second Civil War - a scenario explored in science fiction - and the WH is threatened by an advancing military force hell bent on capturing the president. Then, show the good guys getting the president out of the WH to safety, or defending the WH successfully defending the WH against attack. (The possibility of the WH and the president being attacked were real concerns in the first Civil War. However, the South blundered, lost two battles, and had to retreat quickly back to Virginia.)

I am not buying the concept behind either film. DC has been turned into a quasi-fortress after 9-11; there is no way that a North Korean military force or a paramilitary unit would be able to breach this fortress.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2013, 06:45 PM   #28
Gaith
Rear Admiral

throwback wrote: View Post
I get the feeling that people who did this movie and the second Die Hard are completely ignorant about DC and the surrounding vicinity. There are two major airbases in that vicinity - Andrews and Langley. This limits the possibility of an attacking plane to hitting the WH to nil in this post-911 world.
Passenger planes fly right close to downtown DC all the time; I'm sure they'll have some handwave line about how they fooled/hacked National Airport into thinking they were legit. Either that, or they remotely disabled all military aircraft... with hacking. It really wouldn't be more egregious than some of the stuff Skyfall threw at us, and that movie's been fairly well received.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 04:15 AM   #29
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

^Just about, though. Tatum Channing and Gerard Butler are equally bland leads. WHD has got Jamie Foxx as the POTUS, James Woods, Maggie Gyllenhall, Richard Jenkins, Lance Reddick, Garcelle Beauvais and Jason Clarke (Zero Dark Thirty).

Mind you, I still think that that silly-but-fun White House storyline in S7 of 24 is likely to have been mnore entertaining than both these movies put together.
If I was Channing Tatum I would worry about having a second movie delayed to make it 3D

Gaith wrote: View Post
throwback wrote: View Post
Passenger planes fly right close to downtown DC all the time; I'm sure they'll have some handwave line about how they fooled/hacked National Airport into thinking they were legit. Either that, or they remotely disabled all military aircraft... with hacking. It really wouldn't be more egregious than some of the stuff Skyfall threw at us, and that movie's been fairly well received.
The deception plan is a lot simpler then that and there is no Red Dawn remake god device to explain how it was possible either.
Old March 30 2013, 07:00 AM   #30
Data Holmes
Admiral

I saw this one. I actually enjoyed it. There were one or two minor plot holes which felt like they were created by cutting a scene or two in the editing bay or script rewrite, but other than that it was worth seeing. I actually think they handled the concept of the attack very well.