Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 24 2013, 02:18 PM   #16
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Spiderman 3 Better Than Amazing

I thought Spider-Man 3 was far from perfect and fairly entertaining, and my favorite scenes in the movie are the ones everyone else hates, apparently.

Didn't see "The Amazing Spider-Man".

And when you write it "Spiderman", your opinion is automatically irrelevant, it's a fact.
Old January 24 2013, 02:42 PM   #17
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Shazam! wrote: View Post
The Amazing Spider-Man was anything but.
TASM was weird because, due to having the same producers, it felt... uh... just like a Raimi Spider-Man movie?

So pointless.

We even got a scene of the villain talking to himself, ala the butchered Doc Ock in SM2. And Spidey seemed to lose his mask every other scene too.

So much for a bold, new creative direction.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 02:48 PM   #18
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

I disagree that it felt like a Raimi Spidey movie but it was about as safe and formulaic as you could get. They nearly took a risk but then decided to edit out all the risky stuff (much to the detriment of the overall product).

The whole movie was too dark and po-faced. Even Spidey's quips fell flat. I kinda disliked him.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 02:48 PM   #19
Tosk
Rear Admiral

ASM also seems to take shortcuts with certain elements, almost as if to say, "C'mon, you saw the first three, you already know the deal with this so why do we have to bother?"
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 02:50 PM   #20
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Which begs the question "Why did they bother?"
Old January 24 2013, 03:02 PM   #21
wonderstoat
Comrade

They nearly took a risk but then decided to edit out all the risky stuff (much to the detriment of the overall product).
Hi - I didn't know that. Can you elaborate?
wonderstoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 03:06 PM   #22
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

wonderstoat wrote: View Post
They nearly took a risk but then decided to edit out all the risky stuff (much to the detriment of the overall product).
Here's a fairly decent article on it:

http://badassdigest.com/2012/07/05/w...ng-spider-man/
Old January 24 2013, 03:06 PM   #23
The Evil Dead
Vice Admiral

View The Evil Dead's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Evil Dead

I skipped The Amazing Spider-Man. It seemed so pointless. As a lifelong Spidey fan, I'm tired of his origin. Oddly enough, I will happily go see the sequel to The Amazing Spider-Man probably having never seen the first film.
Old January 24 2013, 03:07 PM   #24
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Which begs the question "Why did they bother?"
Sony had to rush a movie out in order to hold on to the rights. It's the best Spidey movie but it's a very bland, mediocre product.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 03:13 PM   #25
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
I like them both. There are ways in which Raimi's version was closer to the comics, and there are other ways in which Webb's version is closer to the comics (e.g. mechanical webshooters, Gwen and George Stacy). Raimi's version, like any adaptation, was a variation on the theme, a new interpretation building on some facets of the comics and doing without others. Webb's is simply a different variation on the theme, doing the exact same thing but selecting different facets to emphasize. It's no more cynical than what Raimi did. If anything, it's good we have two different adaptations that emphasize different facets of the comics, because they complement each other, make up for each other's deficiencies.
That's how I feel.
Old January 24 2013, 03:49 PM   #26
wonderstoat
Comrade

wonderstoat wrote: View Post
Here's a fairly decent article on it:

http://badassdigest.com/2012/07/05/w...ng-spider-man/
Thanks
wonderstoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 03:57 PM   #27
Relayer1
Commodore

Whilst sick of everything being rebooted, I preferred ASM to the previous three.

And the third one stank...
Old January 24 2013, 04:24 PM   #28
Christopher
Writer

DalekJim wrote: View Post
TASM was weird because, due to having the same producers, it felt... uh... just like a Raimi Spider-Man movie?
Seriously? Wow, I found them radically different in tone and approach. Raimi's were more broad and larger-than-life and, well, Raimi-esque, while Webb's film is more serious and down-to-Earth. And the casting couldn't have been more different. Obviously the makers of ASM were deliberately trying to differentiate it from the previous series as much as possible, so that it wouldn't seem pointless, and I think they succeeded.

We even got a scene of the villain talking to himself, ala the butchered Doc Ock in SM2.
Consider the source material. The Lizard in the comics has been a split personality since long, long before SM2 was made. In fact, the trope fits the Lizard much better than it fits Doc Ock, because in the comics Ock was never portrayed as being controlled by his arms the way he was in the movie.

And Spidey seemed to lose his mask every other scene too.
Which can be said of most live-action superhero movies ever made, and was a trope of the genre long before Tobey Maguire put on the red-and-blue suit. Actors like to have their faces on camera. Filmmakers like to have their stars' faces on camera. It's what much of the audience is paying to see, for one thing. For another, it's hard to convey emotion through a mask. In animation, the animators can cheat and have the mask's eyeholes and such distort to convey emotion, but that can't happen in live action. So most live-action superhero movies have the characters lose their masks at key dramatic moments. Heck, it's not even limited to superhero movies. Look at all the military movies where fighter pilots take off their oxygen masks to deliver dialogue, or cop movies where officers in body armor take off their helmets at key dramatic moments even when they're still in the line of fire. This is one of the universal tropes of cinema, so it's completely unfair to claim that it's an imitation of Raimi's Spidey films in particular. It's just a hard thing to avoid in any live-action film featuring a character in face-concealing headgear.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 04:28 PM   #29
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
This is one of the universal tropes of cinema, so it's completely unfair to claim that it's an imitation of Raimi's Spidey films in particular.
The new Spidey film had the opportunity to ditch that particular trope though and I for one was disappointed that they did not.

I applaud Dredd for this very reason, but that was a flop at the BO so what do I know.
Old January 24 2013, 04:45 PM   #30
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

VulcanJedi wrote: View Post
More endearing, more colorful, truer to the books.

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is offline   Reply With Quote