Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 24 2013, 03:39 AM   #76
Anji
Rear Admiral

View Anji's Twitter Profile
Re: Abrams: Expect To Cry

Before everybody's shorts get in a knot, let's reserve judgement after viewing the actual film.

We've been through this before with the rumours prior to TWOK. They'll say anything to get our butts in those movie seats.
Old January 24 2013, 03:57 AM   #77
Grup
Lieutenant Commander

King Daniel wrote: View Post
Grup wrote: View Post
I don't know about anybody else, but I was stirred by the 'signing off' at the end of The Undiscovered Country.
I didn't believe for a second that it was really the end. And indeed, most of the characters popped up again here and there in TNG and others. Chekov and Uhura were back as recently as a few years ago in the fan film Of Gods and Men!
At that very moment though, I assumed that there would be no more ensemble movies and/or cameo appearances by a cast of people I grew to know. So I was saddened to see Star Trek; as I knew it, end.

Last edited by M'Sharak; January 24 2013 at 08:32 PM. Reason: quote attribution corrected
Grup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 04:01 AM   #78
Grup
Lieutenant Commander

I agree that it may be difficult to see these actors as 'our' Star Trek characters and feel the same emotions that we did with Shatner/Nimoy/Kelley etc. That being said, a good movie can still evoke emotion about a character. It just won't be as personal. IMO
Grup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 04:06 AM   #79
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

"our" Star Trek characters?

What you mean "we?"
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 05:44 AM   #80
magarity
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I didn't see the need for the whole reboot concept for Star Trek in the first place. The gods all know there's enough continuity problems already. The adventures of young Kirk and friends could have been done without excessive wackiness like Spock's mini ship full of strawberry jam and blowing up Vulcan. I don't think an adventure together in the academy days in and of itself required such drastic changes.
magarity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 05:46 AM   #81
Dale Sams
Captain

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Shazam! wrote: View Post
Yeah, but we know that Kirk and Spock etc are running around doing just fine in the Prime Universe...
No, they're not.

They got old, fat, and dull. Stuffy and boring. Kirk fell off a rickety bridge before delivering one of his bizarre line readings ("It was...fun") and croaking. Spock was last seen shuffling through a kind of aimless story about Romulus with a bunch of old guys and Denise Crosby wearing bumpy foam rubber heads. McCoy was wearing a garotte-like ascot for vanity's sake to hide his wattle, Scotty and Uhura were fumbling around with various unappealing menepausal sexual hijinks, Chekov had evolved from Bad Accent/Haircut to Bad Accent/Toupee and Sulu...who gives a fuck about Sulu?

They're not "running around," "doing fine," or being at all interesting. These new guys are a lot more fun now.
Uhm...what about "Oh my."???? Actually, I'm sure you know the story behind that line.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 02:10 PM   #82
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

King Daniel wrote:
I don't know about anybody else, but I was stirred by the 'signing off' at the end of The Undiscovered Country.
I didn't believe for a second that it was really the end. And indeed, most of the characters popped up again here and there in TNG and others. Chekov and Uhura were back as recently as a few years ago in the fan film Of Gods and Men!
At that very moment though, I assumed that there would be no more ensemble movies and/or cameo appearances by a cast of people I grew to know. So I was saddened to see Star Trek; as I knew it, end.
That is true. It took me ages to realize why, but I always felt there was something amiss about Kirk in Generations. I eventually realized it was the complete absence of Spock. Kirk without Spock there is just... half the punch.
Old January 24 2013, 02:13 PM   #83
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I love Star Trek.

Star Trek fandom, I can take or leave.
Being one of the most regular posters on a Star Trek forum seems like a kinda baffling decision then?

That is true. It took me ages to realize why, but I always felt there was something amiss about Kirk in Generations. I eventually realized it was the complete absence of Spock. Kirk without Spock there is just... half the punch.
There's something amiss about Kirk in Generations because he's written like William Shatner, not Kirk, and is given minimal screentime before being abruptly killed by a bridge.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 03:00 PM   #84
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore

I agree that it may be difficult to see these actors as 'our' Star Trek characters and feel the same emotions that we did with Shatner/Nimoy/Kelley etc. That being said, a good movie can still evoke emotion about a character. It just won't be as personal. IMO
This is where I differ. I see Kirk/Spock/McCoy are characters -- characters who have a well-established set of character traits. In my mind, Kirk, Spock, et al. are NOT just TOS character they are characters that exist outside of TOS and belong to the greater agglomeration of simply "Star Trek" (of which AbramsTrek also belongs). Sure -- Shatner/Nimoy/Kelley portrayed those characters, but so do Pine/Quinto/Urban.

It's the character whom I feel emotionally connected to -- albeit the original actors did help shape that emotional connection somewhat. If an AbramsTrek character is written and portrayed with that proper set of character traits (an I mean the character traits that go beyond the TOS actor portrayals), then I can see that AbramsTrek character as being the same character, albeit a different version...

Therefore, that AbramsTrek character should still be able to evoke an emotional feeling. I'm not saying they automatically WILL did so -- the writers and actors need to deliver on their end. However, what I'm saying is that these characters have the same potential to evoke those emotions.

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 03:07 PM   #85
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I love Star Trek.

Star Trek fandom, I can take or leave.
Being one of the most regular posters on a Star Trek forum seems like a kinda baffling decision then?

There's something amiss about Kirk in Generations because he's written like William Shatner, not Kirk, and is given minimal screentime before being abruptly killed by a bridge.
It's never a good idea to put a former main character on the sidelines. None of the various episodes with cameos were ever satisfying.
Nimoy Spock wasn't Spock in Trek 2009 either. Had he been killed off there as well, there'd be even greater bitching.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 03:13 PM   #86
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Nimoy Spock wasn't Spock in Trek 2009 either. Had he been killed off there as well, there'd be even greater bitching.
I find that even Star Trek 2009 defenders agree older Spock's inclusion was confused and pointless.

"This aint your daddy's Star Trek! Except uh, here's your daddy's Spock. Isn't he awesome in comparison to the new guy?"

WHAT.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 03:17 PM   #87
Admiral

I enjoyed his cameo very much
Old January 24 2013, 03:18 PM   #88
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Old Spock didn't do anything (which could have been changed easily with a short rewrite), and he didn't have an arc. He started the problem, but he didn't solve it, and he was never active in the film, and he didn't grow even the slightest bit.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 03:23 PM   #89
Admiral

That's because it was a 2-scene cameo!

Besides, wasn't getting Kirk back to the Enterprise and into command to stop Nero "solving it"? And after his epic faliure to save Romulus and Vulcan, isn't leading the new Vulcan colony his starting a path to redemption?
Old January 24 2013, 07:50 PM   #90
EnsignRicky
Commodore

I don't want destiny to be earned, heroes and villains to be born, innocents to die, and I sure as shit don't want to shed any tears.

I just want to watch Star Trek.

Why has that suddenly become so difficult this century?