Two Trek Actors In Green Room
By: T'Bonz on Oct 30

Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old January 23 2013, 03:57 PM   #91
thestrangledcorpse
Vice Admiral

Re: Things old ladies do...

Spot's Meow wrote: View Post
^That is going to turn out so awesome! I love the colors.

Alright, here are my granny squares. I haven't cleaned them up yet so it's not perfect, and it was hard to pick up the right colors in this lighting, but you get the idea. Black borders with alternating white, blue and purple (well, more of a wine color) starburst pattern.

See, this is really pretty. It doesn't have the eye-boggling technicolor dreamcoat color scheme of the example I posted!

Now, my mom is crocheting me an afghan, and my sister is knitting me a sweater! And it's a sweater you guys might get a laugh out of. It's not done yet, but she texted me this photo of her progress. She's wearing it here, it'll fit me a bit better, as she has bigger boobs than me and I have a smaller waist:

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangledcorpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 04:07 PM   #92
macghoul
I believe most sincerely

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to macghoul

^That. Is. Awesome.
Old January 23 2013, 04:10 PM   #93
thestrangledcorpse
Vice Admiral

^Isn't it?! She was talking about making one for herself, and I offered to buy her the yarn if she'd make me one too!

Old January 23 2013, 04:18 PM   #94
macghoul
I believe most sincerely

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to macghoul

You must send Wil Wheaton a photo of you wearing the finished product. He'll love it.
Old January 23 2013, 04:21 PM   #95
thestrangledcorpse
Vice Admiral

^I'll tweet it at him!

Old January 24 2013, 02:19 AM   #96
KimMH
Rear Admiral

Spot's Meow wrote: View Post
^That is going to turn out so awesome! I love the colors.

Alright, here are my granny squares. I haven't cleaned them up yet so it's not perfect, and it was hard to pick up the right colors in this lighting, but you get the idea. Black borders with alternating white, blue and purple (well, more of a wine color) starburst pattern.

Lovely! I like how black framed squares look like stained glass!

thestrangequark wrote: View Post

That is all kinds of great! Your sister is wonderful and talented!
Old January 24 2013, 06:53 AM   #97
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
I think both the grey and the black-bordered one are going to look awesome!
Peach Wookiee wrote: View Post
Um... does making rosettes and krumkake seem like an old lady thing?
Not at all! Both are a lot of work to make. I think they'd be too exhausting for old people.
When I was a child, my mom used to make rosettes but the prob is always how to use up the fat afterwards and so she hardly ever makes deep-fried things anymore.
i'd love to try krumkake (I have a recipe that sounds quite authentic) but I haven't been able yet to find the necessaty tools. Yet another alibi for the trip to Sweden and Norway I'm planning for my 50est birthday, heehee
I don't know who got the krumkake iron for my mom, but it was made in Pennsylvania. And I just checked Amazon. They have those irons. If you have an electric stove, those are great. Otherwise, get a hot plate and use that at medium-high heat or until water splashed onto the iron dances around. For the rosettes, I used one of those bucket fryers called a Fry Daddy and filled it with canola oil. I put the cooled oil into an old shortening tub and will put it in a collection box at the local community center tomorrow. It'll become biodiesel!
I was glad to learn how to finally do both of those on my own. Mom can no longer teach me and I have no grandmothers left.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 07:36 AM   #98
Death of Rats
Commodore

oooh, I never thought of Amazon! Thanks for the tip!!
I am hesitant to throw away something edible (the frying fat) and in my area they don't take collect it Therefore I strain it through a coffee filter and use it for pancakes and the like. It's not quite suitable for frying meat because there are traces of sugar, cinnamon etc. in it that won't always fit with meat.
The prob is that it takes me a year of pancakes to use up the fat from one bunch of rosettes.
Old January 24 2013, 08:23 AM   #99
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Wow, a year? That's incredible. And the Nordic Ware one on Amazon looks the most like mine. And my pleasure.
If you're looking at other places, I'd suggest areas with a heavily Scandinavian population. If you're anywhere near Minnesota, that's a place to start hunting.
Old January 24 2013, 12:43 PM   #100
Death of Rats
Commodore

Unfortunately, I am rather far away from Minnesota. Some 6000 miles, I'd estimate. I'm Bavarian

Contrary to the US, pancakes are not part of a regular breakfast but a sweet lunch here in Germany. If you make them more often than once a month you might experience some resistance from the meat-loving fraction of the family
Old January 24 2013, 05:00 PM   #101
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher

Now, my mom is crocheting me an afghan, and my sister is knitting me a sweater! And it's a sweater you guys might get a laugh out of. It's not done yet, but she texted me this photo of her progress. She's wearing it here, it'll fit me a bit better, as she has bigger boobs than me and I have a smaller waist:

Okay, that is actually turning out really nice. Much better then the original.
Old January 24 2013, 07:18 PM   #102
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
Unfortunately, I am rather far away from Minnesota. Some 6000 miles, I'd estimate. I'm Bavarian

Contrary to the US, pancakes are not part of a regular breakfast but a sweet lunch here in Germany. If you make them more often than once a month you might experience some resistance from the meat-loving fraction of the family
Nice.
Old January 24 2013, 08:54 PM   #103
teya
Vice Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I know how to make an afghan, and I'm in my 20s.
And that makes me happy. However, I feel that it is a skill that is slowly disappearing, and that makes me sad.
Knitting & crocheting go through boom & bust periods. Currently we're in a boom period, and much credit for that has to go to the internet & social media. Fiber artisans are no longer isolated--the internet has expanded our markets beyond our local yarn stores.

ravelry.com is a network specifically for knitters, crocheters & hand-spinners. The site is 5 years old and has over 2 million members worldwide.

I knit, crochet, spin (both spindle & with a wheel), sew. I design my own patterns. Since I'm ADD, they have to be complicated in some way, either lots of colors or a complicated stitch. Otherwise, I get bored.

Swatch, sketch & beginning of a summer lace pullover (knit):

Detail from a crocheted cotton blanket:

Old January 24 2013, 09:18 PM   #104
thestrangledcorpse
Vice Admiral

Emher wrote: View Post

Okay, that is actually turning out really nice. Much better then the original.
Thanks, and to everyone else who complimented her! I'm passing on the comments to my sister. I've been trying to encourage her to set up an Etsy shop for ages! There are a lot of things going on right now that are making it difficult for her to get a job, but I think she has enough talent to be at least somewhat successful, and that could be the boost her confidence needs. I've even offered for her to use my Etsy shop space, and to redo my shop to reflect dual ownership and cover all her posting fees for her (she's pretty short on cash). I think it's finally starting to get through, though! Yesterday on Facebook she asked people what they thought a reasonable price was for a hand knit, uniquely designed sweater!

Old January 24 2013, 10:47 PM   #105
Professor McGonagall
Rear Admiral

Y'all inspired me to photograph a corner of the afghan I made years ago.

Professor McGonagall is offline   Reply With Quote