RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,719
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 873
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old January 24 2013, 07:33 AM   #1666
Sakrysta
Vice Admiral

Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

I finished Raise the Dawn the other day, and since I promised a couple comments...

I found all the recapping rather frustrating, and this is something I'm starting to notice in the current batch of Trek novels in general. Authors seem to feel the need to give a paragraph synopsis of two or three episodes at least per novel, and then throw in "by the way, this happened in the last novel to feature this character" bits as well. I would much prefer content like this be either a preface or just left out entirely. Sometimes I felt like I was revisiting old stories every other chapter. If I'm reading new Trek books at this point in the franchise's life, I know all this stuff already.

Now I'm reading Fallen Gods, which in addition to the recapping disease also suffers from "look I have a thesaurus and I know how to use it" syndrome. As a word nut myself, I understand the desire to broaden vocabulary and use interesting words, but the ones I'm encountering always seem to pull me out of the narrative. I get it. The author knows a lot of neat words. The meaning is usually at least implied by context. It just feels forced, like the author is reaching for variety for its own sake instead of to serve the storytelling.

While I'm on a bit of a rant, I get it. Keru is a "hulking" unjoined Trill. Ree has sharp teeth. Troi is an empath. People, at book number 7 in the series, you don't need to tell us these things every single time the characters appear in a scene. Titan suffers the most from this need to define each character's species and/or appearance nearly every time they appear.

One more thing, and I'll quit. This alien culture is written really annoyingly. There has to be a better way to communicate alien-ness than merged pronouns and thesaurus-izing body parts and other general terms. The whole "they're alien because they use different words for things than we do" approach gets tiresome quickly. Every "hir" or "s/he" I hit is like a speed bump for my brain. And "heartlaps" for years? Really? "Grandbegetter"??? Insect cultures are hard to make relateable. Stuff like this doesn't help, at least it doesn't help me.

I'm sorry, I know I'm being cranky. I just ... I felt the same way about the Gorn in Sieze the Fire. I liked the insight into the intricacies of the species, but the language and terminology used threw me right out of the rhythm of the story.
Old January 24 2013, 03:55 PM   #1667
Christopher
Writer

Sakrysta wrote: View Post
While I'm on a bit of a rant, I get it. Keru is a "hulking" unjoined Trill. Ree has sharp teeth. Troi is an empath. People, at book number 7 in the series, you don't need to tell us these things every single time the characters appear in a scene. Titan suffers the most from this need to define each character's species and/or appearance nearly every time they appear.
Any book has the potential to be some reader's first book in the series. Since Titan is just about the most episodic of the 24th-century series, that's particularly the case there. Writers shouldn't assume that every last person who reads a particular book is familiar with the earlier ones. Even people who have read the earlier ones may need a reminder about who's who, especially in a cast this diverse.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 04:56 PM   #1668
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Reading Anthony Horowitz's The House of Silk, the recent Sherlock Holmes novel that was authorized by the Conan Doyle estate.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 05:51 PM   #1669
TJ Sinclair
Captain

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Reading Anthony Horowitz's The House of Silk, the recent Sherlock Holmes novel that was authorized by the Conan Doyle estate.
I've been eying that one on the shelf for a while now. Definitely interested to hear if it's worth picking up. I enjoyed some of Horowitz' YA fiction years ago, and this is the guy that created Foyle's War, so hopefully it's good.
Old January 24 2013, 06:04 PM   #1670
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

TJ Sinclair wrote: View Post
Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
I've been eying that one on the shelf for a while now. Definitely interested to hear if it's worth picking up. I enjoyed some of Horowitz' YA fiction years ago, and this is the guy that created Foyle's War, so hopefully it's good.
To the point where I am (seventy-five pages), I have mixed feelings.

It's very well written. The characterizations ring true (though I keep hearing Jeremy Brett and Edward Hardwicke behind the dialogue). But it's so derivative in places that it feels more like a caricature of a Sherlock Holmes story than the genuine article. That said, something happened about ten pages back of where I am that I suspect is going to spin the novel off in a new direction, which leads me to think that the derivativeness of the first third of the book was deliberate, to ground the reader in the sense that they're firmly in Holmes' world so that Horowitz can do something original with it. Yes, that's optimism speaking.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 07:39 AM   #1671
Kertrats47
Fleet Captain

View Kertrats47's Twitter Profile

Christopher wrote: View Post
Sakrysta wrote: View Post
Any book has the potential to be some reader's first book in the series. Since Titan is just about the most episodic of the 24th-century series, that's particularly the case there. Writers shouldn't assume that every last person who reads a particular book is familiar with the earlier ones. Even people who have read the earlier ones may need a reminder about who's who, especially in a cast this diverse.
Very true. In fact, your own Over a Torrent Sea was the first Titan novel I read (with the exception of Destiny). I really appreciated being introduced to the characters in a way that didn't make me feel lost. It was that positive experience reading Over a Torrent Sea that made me go back and read the rest of the series. The re-introductions may seem tedious and unnecessary to long-time readers, but from both a creative and marketing standpoint they make a lot of sense.
Old January 25 2013, 10:07 AM   #1672
Spike730
Captain

I'm catching up on the DS9 relaunch.
Spike730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 01:27 PM   #1673
trash80
Lieutenant Commander

I've just started "How much for just the planet?" and its wonderful
trash80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 02:21 PM   #1674
Markonian
Captain

Yesterday I received Die Welten von Star Trek Deep Space Nine No. 6: Das Dominion: Fall der Götter (The Dominion: Olympus Descending) and read it in one go before continuing with The Final Fury.

It was good to see what the Dominion is doing after the war and after I finished the book I reread some passages of Raise the Dawn to see its up-to-date status. It is heartening to see Odo's efforts yielded limited results but nice that the Dominion isn't belligerent anymore, at least. Hopefully there'll be a follow-up sometime that brings the Dominion back without the constant threat of war.
Old January 25 2013, 08:12 PM   #1675
Reanok
Commodore

trash80 wrote: View Post
I've just started "How much for just the planet?" and its wonderful
That's a really fun novel some of the sceneswith Kirk's crew and the Klingons are so funny I won't spoil the story for you, except just to say this is a classis TOS book alot folks here really like alot.Your going to enjoy this book.I started reading Section 31 Rogue By Andy Mangels and Mike Martin.I really like this book so far.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2013, 04:28 AM   #1676
WarsTrek1993
Captain

So I just finished Resident Evil: Underworld by S.D. Perry. It wasn't all bad, but to me, it felt more like Jurassic Park than Resident Evil, with the whole plot of an underground base that has some weird creatures, such as Pterodactyls, Giant Scorpions, and even a T-Rex offshoot.

Next: Instead of Mosaic, I've decided to halt my chronological reading and read Avatar: Book One for the first time, before resuming.

...I have to say, I'm only fourteen pages in, and I wonder: why the hell haven't I picked this up sooner?!
WarsTrek1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2013, 04:59 AM   #1677
Cap'n Crunch
Commander

I finished Mere Anarchy: The Blood-Dimmed Tide and am now in the middle of the final story in the book, Its Hour Come Round.
Some trees flourish, others die. Some cattle grow strong, others are taken by wolves. Some men are born rich enough and dumb enough to enjoy their lives. Ain't nothing fair. You know that. - John Marston, Red Dead Redemption
Cap'n Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2013, 07:55 AM   #1678
TJ Sinclair
Captain

Just finished up The Persistence of Memory. Thought about diving right into the next Cold Equations book, but I'm going to take a break from the post-TNG era and get caught up on Vanguard. About to start Open Secrets.
Old January 26 2013, 11:19 AM   #1679
USS Firefly
Commander

Bond, James Bond in "Moonraker"
USS Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2013, 12:36 PM   #1680
Killie
Lieutenant Junior Grade

View Killie's Twitter Profile

Just finished and reviewed.. Starfleet Academy: Aftershock. This is one of the 1996 novels and it is rather basic due to to the YA Target audience.

Anyway interested in reading my review can find it here
Killie is offline   Reply With Quote