RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,699
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 834
Newest member: meshman63

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old January 23 2013, 10:39 PM   #16
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: What the hell is McCoy doing on the bridge?

Probably the two biggest things I'd change if they made a new version of TOS:

1) A more realistic medical staff. Maybe even put McCoy aboard as some kind of civilian medical adviser.

2) Make the Enterprise security much tighter (this is the thing about TOS that rubs me the wrong way more than anything else).
Old January 24 2013, 01:37 AM   #17
Anji
Rear Admiral

View Anji's Twitter Profile

Keep in mind that with the Kirk/Spock/McCoy trio, Spock is supposed to represent logic, McCoy emotion and Kirk as the man struggling to find a balance between the two...McCoy represented Kirk's emotion and he and Spock both voiced their opposing opinions with Kirk to make the decision.

Aside from that, you've got to give De some screen time.
Old January 24 2013, 01:56 AM   #18
Melakon
Rear Admiral

Spock=Scarecrow
McCoy=Tin Man
Kirk=Lion
Old January 24 2013, 02:00 AM   #19
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Chekov=Toto
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 02:10 AM   #20
Melakon
Rear Admiral

Sulu=Dorothy
Old January 24 2013, 02:17 AM   #21
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

"gay" jokes = junior high
Old January 24 2013, 02:17 AM   #22
euphorik
Captain

what's mccoy doing on the bridge?

COMPLAINING. what did you expect?
euphorik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 02:22 AM   #23
TOSalltheway
Lieutenant Commander

Let's not forget that McCoy is responsible for mind and body. As has been previously stated this is before "ships counsellors" and he is there to monitor and support as he did for Mr. Bailey in Corbomite Maneuver.

In addition he is a senior officer and close friend of the Captain. If there is no immediate need for him to be in sickbay he can go where he pleases.
TOSalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 02:38 AM   #24
Use of Time
Commodore

I think TNG had it right with Dr. Crusher. Yeah, I get that Dr. McCoy has a full time staff and doesn't have to treat every injury but that really doesn't answer the question why he is hanging out on the bridge all the time. If he was really meant to be there then why doesn't he have a station instead of hanging over the railing in Kirk's blindside. That would annoy me. I really don't buy the reasoning that he has to hang out on the bridge to make sure the old crew doesn't crack under the stress.

There are thousands of things a CMO could be doing with his time. How about writing papers about the countless new beings you have encountered and documenting the situations. That on top of the administrative responsibility of running a sickbay would be more than enough to keep him busy.
Old January 24 2013, 02:43 AM   #25
AtoZ
Commander

Mister Atoz wrote: View Post
I have been troubled in recent weeks by Doctor McCoy's continuing presence on the bridge, when he should be in sickbay. This becomes particularly aggregious in "Who Mourns for Adonis" when the Enterprise has been stopped in space by the giant hand. An SOS message has been relayed to Starfleet, damage control reports are coming in, and there's McCoy on the bridge, saying "Sick Bay reports five minor injuries, all being treated."

WELL??? Why aren't you IN sickbay, McCoy, treating those injuries??

McCoy seems to spend more time on the bridge counseling/coaching Captain Kirk than he does practicing medicine in sick bay.

It happens again in Squire of Gothos, after the crew has beamed back up to the ship. The Enterprise is dodging the planet Gothos, Kirk is on the bridge when he decides to confront Trelane, and suddenly McCoy leaps out of literally nowhere with "Captain, you're not beaming down!!??"

What the devil? I would welcome any other examples of sitings of this intrusive medical officer on the bridge at inappropriate times, in dereliction of duty.

~ Mr Atoz
At least he isn't sitting right next to Kirk full time with next to nothing of substance to add show after show.....like some kind of token ship's counselor.
AtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 02:47 AM   #26
AtoZ
Commander

plynch wrote: View Post
You a cop?
Old January 24 2013, 02:48 AM   #27
AtoZ
Commander

Use of Time wrote: View Post
I think TNG had it right with Dr. Crusher. Yeah, I get that Dr. McCoy has a full time staff and doesn't have to treat every injury but that really doesn't answer the question why he is hanging out on the bridge all the time. If he was really meant to be there then why doesn't he have a station instead of hanging over the railing in Kirk's blindside. That would annoy me. I really don't buy the reasoning that he has to hang out on the bridge to make sure the old crew doesn't crack under the stress.

There are thousands of things a CMO could be doing with his time. How about writing papers about the countless new beings you have encountered and documenting the situations. That on top of the administrative responsibility of running a sickbay would be more than enough to keep him busy.
Sorry, after seven seasons I must have missed something. Just how did TNG get it right with Dr. Crusher.
Old January 24 2013, 02:50 AM   #28
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

AtoZ wrote: View Post

Sorry, after seven seasons I must have missed something. Just how did TNG get it right with Dr. Crusher.
Shitty character that they kept hidden for the most part.
Old January 24 2013, 02:58 AM   #29
Melakon
Rear Admiral

AtoZ wrote: View Post
plynch wrote: View Post
You a cop?
I recognize the traditional accoutrements.
Old January 24 2013, 03:01 AM   #30
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I think TNG had it right with Dr. Crusher.
But McCoy had better lines.

"Damnit, I'm doctor, not a bricklayer!"