Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old January 21 2013, 10:38 PM   #16
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Re: Classic Who on BBC America

But BSG and TNG have a British guy in them!
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2013, 10:45 PM   #17
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Robert D. Robot wrote: View Post
I do understand the needs of a commercial network. It just seems sad that the only British programmes that Americans are interested in (or networks think Americans are interested in) are Who, Top Gear & Ramsay on BBCA and the same handful of 20-30 year old repeats of British comedies that are shown on PBS on Saturday nights.
I don't disagree with you. WETA UK (a side-channel of a local PBS station), in my opinion, offers a better line-up of British programs than BBC America.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2013, 10:47 PM   #18
Robert D. Robot
Fleet Captain

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
But BSG and TNG have a British guy in them!
OK-- OK, then..... so it's more like flying to Paris & going to a Mc Donald's & ordering "Le Royal Cheese"!
Robert D. Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2013, 10:52 PM   #19
Robert D. Robot
Fleet Captain

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Robert D. Robot wrote: View Post
I do understand the needs of a commercial network. It just seems sad that the only British programmes that Americans are interested in (or networks think Americans are interested in) are Who, Top Gear & Ramsay on BBCA and the same handful of 20-30 year old repeats of British comedies that are shown on PBS on Saturday nights.
I don't disagree with you. WETA UK (a side-channel of a local PBS station), in my opinion, offers a better line-up of British programs than BBC America.
WETA UK sounds interesting! I lived in the Baltimore/DC area a while back & enjoyed WETA, but I wasn't there (I am assuming) when WETA UK came into being.
Robert D. Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 12:18 AM   #20
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

BBC America is an American TV Network. It may be owned by the BBC and show some of its programming, but it's headquartered in New York with Americans in charge of the daily operations and programming.

To use the McDonalds analogy, McDonalds has different restaurants around the world, but they tailor the menus in some countries to appeal to the customers there. BBC America is a BBC outlet geared towards Americans, and its programming reflects that.
Old January 22 2013, 12:36 AM   #21
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

They did have more varied programming in the past (as well as being much less censored) but they must feel they'll have more success with this model. I think stations don't put as much value as they need to on building a stable schedule for the long run but it's probably hard to argue when a Top Gear rerun gets equal or better ratings than other stuff in that slot.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 04:21 PM   #22
Kosh Naranek
Captain

Exciting. I have not seen any of the classic Who. I am stoked.

I have watched all of CE and DT. I am now on to Matt Smith. I am trying very hard to watch as much as I can in order. (I did however, watch the Chrismas Special and was a little nonplussed until I caught Asylum of the Daleks.)

Woo-hoo!
Old January 22 2013, 07:14 PM   #23
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

sidious618 wrote: View Post
I wish they'd do this more often instead of showing 50 episodes of Top Gear a day.
agreed.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 08:46 PM   #24
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

Praetor_Shinzon wrote: View Post
sidious618 wrote: View Post
I wish they'd do this more often instead of showing 50 episodes of Top Gear a day.
agreed.
QFT!!! I love the show, but hardly watch it now because I get frustrated that it's on soooo much...

I get the programming choices now, but I do miss the time when they had the quirky block of Brit-shows on during the day like the shows about the cleaning ladies, the antiques auction and the one with the lady who tried to get heavy people to eat veggies and wheat germ.. LOL.. I do enjoy the comedy block on Saturday nights though, be it a little inconsistent..

On edit... Regarding the Aztecs.. New Who viewers are in for a treat, or a shock, depending on how you look at it.. It's a shame that I just recently watched it on Netflix, so I probably won't watch it again this coming weekend... But you never know..
Old January 23 2013, 07:50 PM   #25
Peacemaker
Vice Admiral

They ran an ad for it today. We're getting a mini-documentary about the Hartnell era followed by "a classic story."

DJ Mark Bisson

Say my name, and every color illuminates!
Peacemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 09:07 PM   #26
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Peacemaker wrote: View Post
They ran an ad for it today. We're getting a mini-documentary about the Hartnell era followed by "a classic story."
Sounds good!
Old January 24 2013, 02:02 AM   #27
Anji
Rear Admiral

View Anji's Twitter Profile

Interesting, and a surprising choice. I'd think they'd play it safe with some Tom Baker initially. It's what they used to play when they had classic Who back in the day.
True! PBS stations which were running the Doctor back in th 80s would only go as far back as Pertwee.

But the truth is, even back then, there was an interest in both Hartnell and Troughton episodes. All any network executive had to do was attend a convention and see how many people attended and sat through the entire version of "War Games." Heck, i knew people who went into that video room with their pajamas on! (They always showed "War Games" after 10 p.m.)

You can't appreciate the latter Doctors without seeing those who went before them and I wish BBCA would realize that we feel that way.
Old January 24 2013, 02:39 AM   #28
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Anji wrote: View Post
Interesting, and a surprising choice. I'd think they'd play it safe with some Tom Baker initially. It's what they used to play when they had classic Who back in the day.
True! PBS stations which were running the Doctor back in the 80s would only go as far back as Pertwee.
Not true! I saw some Hartnells on West Virginia Public Television in the late 80s.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 02:43 AM   #29
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

And a Maine Public Television station ran omnibus versions of (at least) "The Seeds of Death" and "The War Games" sometime in the 80s or early 90s; I had my dad's off-air tapes of them for years.
Old January 24 2013, 02:47 AM   #30
Christopher
Writer

My local PBS station here in Cincinnati showed everything available, including Hartnell and Troughton, over and over. But then, WCET was always one of the most stalwart supporters of Doctor Who in the US, and kept on airing it long after most PBS stations had dropped it. The local DW fan community would always come in for the station's pledge drives -- you'd see a lot of long scarves at the phone banks.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote