Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old January 23 2013, 10:48 PM   #106
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: Officially no series 8 in 2013

Yeah I do think Moffat would probably be better off simply being the head writer for these shows, instead of also being the producer/showrunner.

Making DW alone is probably a massive enough challenge every year; I can't imagine also having to produce three 90-minute, feature-quality Sherlock episodes.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 10:49 PM   #107
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
What family connections do you mean?
Moffat's mother-in-law Beryl Vertue. She's a power player in the British television scene.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 10:52 PM   #108
DWF
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
Yeah I do think Moffat would probably be better off simply being the head writer for these shows, instead of also being the producer/showrunner.

Making DW alone is probably a massive enough challenge every year; I can't imagine also having to produce three 90-minute, feature-quality Sherlock episodes.
And yet RTD was able to produce three series at the same time.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 10:55 PM   #109
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

DWF wrote: View Post
RTD had minimal input on Torchwood throughout it's first 2 series.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 11:06 PM   #110
DWF
Vice Admiral

DalekJim wrote: View Post
He still did more writing on Torchwood and Dr. Who than Moffat has to do on Dr. Who and Sherlock.
Old January 23 2013, 11:11 PM   #111
MickJo1701
Commander

The BBC commission the number of episodes and decide when they are broadcast, hell Moffat has even been critical of the time the BBC has aired Doctor Who in the past. I don't buy that this is him being unable to produce a 13 episode series and an Xmas special every year.
MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 11:19 PM   #112
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

He still did more writing on Torchwood and Dr. Who than Moffat has to do on Dr. Who and Sherlock.
RTD wrote a mere one episode of Torchwood for it's entire first 2 years? And only co-wrote one SJA episode in it's first 3 years?
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 12:25 AM   #113
DWF
Vice Admiral

RTD wrote a mere one episode of Torchwood for it's entire first 2 years? And only co-wrote one SJA episode in it's first 3 years?
And Moffat's written two eps. of Sherlock. Sherlock has also been around since 2010 and we've only had two seasons of three eps. each.
Old January 24 2013, 12:30 AM   #114
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Venardhi wrote: View Post
Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
I'm fine with series 8 not starting for so long. I think modern British viewers are spoiled with Who having so many episodes. I don't necessarily expect American cable style number of episodes and I certainly don't expect American-style clockwork regularity of seasons. If it helps stretch the budget, that's fine with me.
This makes no fucking sense whatsoever to me.

Spoiled? What kind of bullshit is that? People like the show, they watch the show, they want more of the show. Television is produced to be consumed as entertainment, that is its only purpose. It doesn't become less special just because there is more of it. It doesn't become less special if it is produced and broadcast with some regularity. If you don't want to watch it then don't.
I meant spoiled in the sense that they start to feel entitled to more of it when there might be practical reasons not to have more of it at the moment. There are shows where a series is about six episodes long. We're still averaging more than six episodes a year with Doctor Who.
Old January 24 2013, 12:52 AM   #115
diankra
Commodore

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
JoeZhang wrote: View Post
What family connections do you mean?
Moffat's mother-in-law Beryl Vertue. She's a power player in the British television scene.
But not in any sense that's really relevant to this: she's a very successful producer who's worked her way up from starting as an agent's secretary (back in the days when a woman was supposed to start as a secretary and stay as a secretary), but she's never had a management position at any TV station, and at 80-ish she's leaving it a bit late to get one. Her only influence is the respect of younger people in TV, and the fact that she's an owner of the company that makes Sherlock.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 02:04 AM   #116
captain crow
Fleet Captain

Location: Onboard a sliver dog bone shaped satellite in Earth orbit

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Also, half of every Doctor Who Confidential episode comprised of clips of the ep we just watched, set to Coldplay songs.

Fact.
HA! Can't argue with that.

I could understand why the BBC cut confidential(Karen visits a planetarium? Arthur swims with the sharks) but the behind the scenes stuff was intriguing
The one with Arthur and the sharks was great material for captioning and photoshopping thanks to him looking like a sex offender in it.

Old January 24 2013, 02:50 AM   #117
The Wormhole
Admiral

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
Seems to me that the BBC needs to hire some help for Moffat. Not a huge increase in the budget, but some people to help keep the production organized and on-track even when Moffat is distracted by, say, Sherlock.
But isn't that basically Caroline Skinner's job?
Old January 24 2013, 03:23 AM   #118
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^^ I have no idea who does what. But, whatever the current arrangement is, it's not working!
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 09:53 AM   #119
Starkers
Admiral

I was going to quibble this until I realised you were actually right, of course Moffat only writes one episode of Sherlock per series (although you don't know how much work he's doing on Gattiis and the other fellow's scripts.)

Of course the best episodes of Torchwood RTD wrote came at a time when Who was "taking a semi-break" and coincided with a couple of quite poor specials (which were anything but).

At some point I think creators need to be tied into a contract to spend at least a vast proportion of their time working only on Who. From what I can ascertain about Moffat if the BBC put their foot down I'm not certain he'd take his bat and ball and walk away, he got burned by his experience with US tv, and whilst he was obviously feted by Spielberg I still suspect he likes the level of freedom the BBC affords him.

But again, I think it needs stressing, comparing Who now with Who of even a few years ago needs to take into account the radical change in finances the BBC as a whole are dealing with.
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 05:11 PM   #120
The Wormhole
Admiral

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
^^ I have no idea who does what. But, whatever the current arrangement is, it's not working!
Always two there are, a showrunner and an executive producer.

RTD had Julie Gardner as his executive producer during his entire run, Moffat had Beth Willis for his first two years or and now has Caroline Skinner as his Executive Producer.