Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old January 23 2013, 09:43 PM   #91
StCoop
Commodore

Re: Officially no series 8 in 2013

MickJo1701 wrote: View Post
Not a fan of the RTD era at all. Personally I think the show has only improved since he left, the writing frustrated me endlessly and series 1-4 has little rewatch value.
More fucking shite.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 09:50 PM   #92
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Series 2-4 have aged very badly and contain the worst, laziest writing you'll really find in Doctor Who but I still like a lot of Series 1. RTD kinda ran out of ideas after that.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 09:50 PM   #93
Konata Izumi
Commander

StCoop wrote: View Post
Konata Izumi wrote: View Post
something about not putting in effort
What a pile of fucking shite. He worked himself into ill health while Moffat seems to spend most of his time jetting off to America on freebies.
There were clearly aspects effort was not being put into.
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 09:52 PM   #94
MickJo1701
Commander

StCoop wrote: View Post
MickJo1701 wrote: View Post
Not a fan of the RTD era at all. Personally I think the show has only improved since he left, the writing frustrated me endlessly and series 1-4 has little rewatch value.
More fucking shite.
No, my opinion.
MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 10:12 PM   #95
Starkers
Admiral

Even as a defender of Moffat, clearly he has to take some of the blame for this, but I can't seriously believe he's the only one to shoulder the blame as some people seem to think he is. There must be wider issues at play and it strikes me RTD probably had more latitude/money when he was in charge (after the first series certainly) I mean this is the man who shipped a bus to a desert regime with a dubious civil rights record right? And I'm not sure anyone can blame Moffat for us losing the Confidentials, that was clearly a cost cutting exercise, and clearly the BBC is having to cut costs, and as for people bringing up Merlin, yes they made 13 eps a year, but that show was also finite, and despite protestations to the contrary Series 5 did seem to wrap things up awful quickly, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were told it had to end this year, and while they might have originally had a five year arc, I bet they hoped they'd get longer.

Where Moffat doesn't so himself any favours is in the hyperbole, when it comes down to it RTD was a much better flim-flam man that Moffat is, but I think as well RTD worked in a more settled, secure environment, and whilst I'll accept that some of the current insecurity around Who should be laid at Moffat's door, I can't imagine he's solely to blame, and irrespective of Sherlock or who his wife is, I'm sure if it was that much of a problem the BBC wouldn't hesitate to get rid of him, albeit in a dignified "it was a mutual decision" kind of way.

Strikes me whoever was in charge right now would be struggling. As I say I'm not trying to excuse Moffat from his part in all this, but he isn't the all powerful anti-Christ some seem to think he is.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 10:13 PM   #96
diankra
Commodore

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
the BBC as a whole
But there isn';t such a thing as 'the BBC as a whole'. It's always between split into separate departments, and the heads of those departments have always had a tendency to look after the interests of their charge rather than any nominal whole.

My guess is that Controller, BBC1, is fuming that he can't simply schedule a 13 episode run of Doctor Who into a regular slot each year, like his predecessors did, just as BBC Worldwide would love a full season to sell.
But what can they do about it? Well, they could go to the Board of Management and say 'Doctor Who belongs to the BBC, not BBC Wales. We want 13 episodes a year, and if Wales can't provide that, I'm sure another drama production department could."
But Wales would fight back. Worldwide would be told that it would be the commercial tail wagging the licence fee dog. Wales would lobby that taking Doctor Who away from it would undermine the BBC's commitment to regional production. And so on... so unless anyone's sure of winning, they won't start the fight.
What worries me is that if the controller accepts that and is starting to assume that Who will only be available intermittently, he'll stop building his schedule around the assumption that it will be there, and eventually there won't be a space for anything but one-offs when it is available, as he'll have found other 'bankers' to fill the gap.
Up till now, they've moved Merlin around to fit with Doctor Who... what happens if BBC1 finds two successful series in the Merlin vein for the Saturday early evening family slot, or decide to put the effort into building two such successes?
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 10:15 PM   #97
Starkers
Admiral

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Series 2-4 have aged very badly and contain the worst, laziest writing you'll really find in Doctor Who but I still like a lot of Series 1. RTD kinda ran out of ideas after that.
RTD's run had its ups and downs, I still think pound for pound Moffat Who is as enjoyable, just for different reasons, but even though I liked series 4, it was clear RTD was running out of ideas, the show, the very structure of the seasons, had become stale and predicable, no sleight to RTD, I think whoever was in charge it would have happened.

Being fair sometimes I miss the zip RTD Who had, but by the same token Moffat has yet to make me want to throw things at the telly the way Russell did on a semi-regular basis

Old January 23 2013, 10:19 PM   #98
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Starkers wrote: View Post

Being fair sometimes I miss the zip RTD Who had, but by the same token Moffat has yet to make me want to throw things at the telly the way Russell did on a semi-regular basis
I'm just glad modern day London only appears sparingly now. I made the mistake of marathoning all Classic and New Who a few years back and now the RTD era is a sickly blur of modern day London invasions and reset buttons to me.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 10:20 PM   #99
Starkers
Admiral

Yeah, and the harridan mothers got a bit trying as well!

Old January 23 2013, 10:21 PM   #100
MickJo1701
Commander

RTD's run had its ups and downs, I still think pound for pound Moffat Who is as enjoyable, just for different reasons, but even though I liked series 4, it was clear RTD was running out of ideas, the show, the very structure of the seasons, had become stale and predicable, no sleight to RTD, I think whoever was in charge it would have happened.

I quite miss wanting to lash the remote at the telly, I did actually do it when 10 blew up all the Daleks in the series 4 finale and again when Gallifrey went back into the Time Lock. God it pissed me off at times.
MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 10:25 PM   #101
Konata Izumi
Commander

Yeah, and the harridan mothers got a bit trying as well!
That was strange too.
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 10:32 PM   #102
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Strikes me whoever was in charge right now would be struggling. As I say I'm not trying to excuse Moffat from his part in all this, but he isn't the all powerful anti-Christ some seem to think he is.
Seems to me that the BBC needs to hire some help for Moffat. Not a huge increase in the budget, but some people to help keep the production organized and on-track even when Moffat is distracted by, say, Sherlock.

Or, hire more help for Sherlock, so he can focus more on DW.

He can still be the showrunner but things shouldn't come to a standstill when he's overloaded.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 10:35 PM   #103
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

diankra wrote: View Post
But Wales would fight back. Worldwide would be told that it would be the commercial tail wagging the licence fee dog. Wales would lobby that taking Doctor Who away from it would undermine the BBC's commitment to regional production. And so on... so unless anyone's sure of winning, they won't start the fight.
Sounds like they need some leadership. Someone who can come in and figure out what's best for the whole rather than some petty little fiefdoms.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 10:45 PM   #104
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post

If the BBC does expect more than 14 episodes per year and Moffat is unable to deliver that, however, then either Moffat is untouchable (perhaps because of his family connections) or he's exceedingly good at blowing smoke at his bosses. Otherwise, the BBC could sack Moffat and bring in a new producer on a shorter leash to hit the Beeb's production targets.
What family connections do you mean?
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 10:47 PM   #105
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

I'm just glad modern day London only appears sparingly now. I made the mistake of marathoning all Classic and New Who a few years back and now the RTD era is a sickly blur of modern day London invasions and reset buttons to me.
My one complaint most people usually see me posting about.

Thank goodness Christmas in modern day London is safe and no one is crying

"WE NEED THE DOCTAA!!!"

"We can't wipe our behinds without HIM!