RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,700
Members: 24,832
Currently online: 436
Newest member: eltonlight

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old January 23 2013, 08:06 PM   #76
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: Officially no series 8 in 2013

I know people here love to pile on, but I'm of the belief Moffat is simply making do the best he can with the resources and schedule the BBC is giving him.

Being the huge DW fan he is, I have a hard time believing that he wouldn't have wanted to write a longer and more epic special. Or to have more episodes per year than what we're getting. But clearly that's just not what he's being allowed or given the money for.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 08:11 PM   #77
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Even if the number and scheduling of episodes in 2012/2013 is entirely down to the BBC (I doubt it, but anything's possible), they're not making Moffat say things that will be proven flat out false or enormously misleading within months of his saying them. That's his decision. It doesn't matter-- it's just talk about the production of a TV show-- but it's odd all the same.
Old January 23 2013, 08:24 PM   #78
StCoop
Commodore

davejames wrote: View Post
I know people here love to pile on, but I'm of the belief Moffat is simply making do the best he can with the resources and schedule the BBC is giving him.
The Controller of BBC1 revealed long ago that the delay/split in S7 was down to Moffat, who promptly denied it, then finally recently admitted that he did indeed have problems working on both Sherlock & DW causing him to fall behind in getting the work done.

Plus as Brendan points out nobody made make all the pronouncements he's made that later turn out to be false/wrong/true from a certain point of view, Luke.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 08:56 PM   #79
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

StCoop wrote: View Post
The Controller of BBC1 revealed long ago that the delay/split in S7 was down to Moffat, who promptly denied it, then finally recently admitted that he did indeed have problems working on both Sherlock & DW causing him to fall behind in getting the work done.

Plus as Brendan points out nobody made make all the pronouncements he's made that later turn out to be false/wrong/true from a certain point of view, Luke.
At times I wonder if Moffat blows smoke not to distract fandom with the shiny but to distract his BBC bosses and protect his job.

The BBC brought Moffat in to produce Doctor Who to their scheduling expectations. The question, of course, is what the BBC's scheduling expecations are; fandom clearly feels that 14 episodes a year is the standard (probably because RTD made it look effortless), and similar programs, like Merlin, easily hit a similar standard. Moffat's pronouncements occasionally have the feel of someone explaining to those who matter (and no, fans are not those who matter) why he's not hitting his production targets.

Though there are some individual divisions that are clearly unhappy with the lack of Doctor Who product (Worldwide, mainly, but also America), the BBC as a whole appears to tolerate a different state of affairs -- either they like the critical cachet that Steven Moffat brings them and are willing to accept a "when we make it" schedule, or there's nothing standard about 14 episodes a year and the BBC doesn't expect RTD-levels of product on an annual basis.

If the BBC does expect more than 14 episodes per year and Moffat is unable to deliver that, however, then either Moffat is untouchable (perhaps because of his family connections) or he's exceedingly good at blowing smoke at his bosses. Otherwise, the BBC could sack Moffat and bring in a new producer on a shorter leash to hit the Beeb's production targets.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 08:58 PM   #80
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

If there are budget problems than I have to hand it to the production team. These past 2 series have looked hugely expensive in comparison to Series 1-4.

Compare Asylum of the Daleks or The Impossible Astronaut to Rose or New Earth!
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 08:59 PM   #81
Tom
Rear Admiral

I miss the RTD era... nuff said
Old January 23 2013, 09:00 PM   #82
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Tom wrote: View Post
In 2009 we only had 3 episodes? 2 of which are generally considered to be among the worst New Who episodes?
Old January 23 2013, 09:15 PM   #83
StCoop
Commodore

DalekJim wrote: View Post
In 2009 we only had 3 episodes?
How about thse years when we had 14 Doctor Whos and Confidentials plus 13 Torchwoods plus 13 SJAs plus all the assorted bits and pieces that we now seem to get instead of the series as opposed to, as well as it?
Old January 23 2013, 09:18 PM   #84
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

StCoop wrote: View Post
In 2009 we only had 3 episodes?
How about thse years when we had 14 Doctor Whos and Confidentials plus 13 Torchwoods plus 13 SJAs plus all the assorted bits and pieces that we now seem to get instead of the series as opposed to, as well as it?
Well, Miracle Day was terrible so can't say I'm mourning the loss of that show and it's not really anybody's fault that Liz Sladen died so SJA had to end. Also, half of every Doctor Who Confidential episode comprised of clips of the ep we just watched, set to Coldplay songs.

Fact.
Old January 23 2013, 09:24 PM   #85
Konata Izumi
Commander

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
fandom clearly feels that 14 episodes a year is the standard (probably because RTD made it look effortless), and similar programs, like Merlin,
something about not putting in effort
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 09:27 PM   #86
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

If the BBC does expect more than 14 episodes per year and Moffat is unable to deliver that, however, then either Moffat is untouchable (perhaps because of his family connections) or he's exceedingly good at blowing smoke at his bosses. Otherwise, the BBC could sack Moffat and bring in a new producer on a shorter leash to hit the Beeb's production targets.
It's just possible that messing up the anniversary year may be the straw that breaks the camel back. The big anniversary year for Doctor Who may end with a whimper rather than a bang. There's not only fan dissappointment but it sounds like growing dissappointment from overseas broadcasters and even toy vendors!

I'm not sure that I want Moffat to leave Doctor Who, but it would be nice if the BBC splurged and got him some help to boost the production rate!

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 09:29 PM   #87
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Also, half of every Doctor Who Confidential episode comprised of clips of the ep we just watched, set to Coldplay songs.

Fact.
HA! Can't argue with that.

I could understand why the BBC cut confidential(Karen visits a planetarium? Arthur swims with the sharks) but the behind the scenes stuff was intriguing
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 09:33 PM   #88
MickJo1701
Commander

If there are budget problems than I have to hand it to the production team. These past 2 series have looked hugely expensive in comparison to Series 1-4.

Compare Asylum of the Daleks or The Impossible Astronaut to Rose or New Earth!
I believe when Michael Pickwoad took over as production designer from Ed Thomas in A Christmas Carol visually it really began to look much more cinematic and big budget.

Tom wrote: View Post
In 2009 we only had 3 episodes? 2 of which are generally considered to be among the worst New Who episodes?
Not a fan of the RTD era at all. Personally I think the show has only improved since he left, the writing frustrated me endlessly and series 1-4 has little rewatch value.
MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 09:36 PM   #89
Konata Izumi
Commander

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
I could understand why the BBC cut confidential(Karen visits a planetarium? Arthur swims with the sharks)
That was a disaster

Bannerman Road could and should have went on instead of Miracles vs. Negros or what was it

MickJo1701 wrote: View Post
I believe when Michael Pickwoad took over as production designer from Ed Thomas in A Christmas Carol visually it really began to look much more cinematic and big budget.
I'd say even more as there was a massive leap in Series 5 already. Again in Series 7.
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 09:42 PM   #90
StCoop
Commodore

Konata Izumi wrote: View Post
fandom clearly feels that 14 episodes a year is the standard (probably because RTD made it look effortless), and similar programs, like Merlin,
something about not putting in effort
What a pile of fucking shite. He worked himself into ill health while Moffat seems to spend most of his time jetting off to America on freebies.