New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 23 2013, 05:24 PM   #46
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

Re: Abrams: Expect To Cry

Franklin wrote: View Post
Kruezerman wrote: View Post
The only movie that I came close to crying was Cinderella.

We'll see with this.
Was it when the glass slipper fit? That was a wonderful moment.

C'mon, you didn't even come close to crying in "Bambi"?
No it was the way the stepsisters treated her. I can relate.

I haven't seen it in years, so I'll need to see it again. I've been on a Disney binge.
"Tonight's a special night."
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 05:29 PM   #47
Dagoth
Ensign

Can someone provide me with the super long 10 minute trailer I watched in IMAX? I was like 'are they gonna run the whole movie on that trailer'.
Dagoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 06:58 PM   #48
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Yeah, but we know that Kirk and Spock etc are running around doing just fine in the Prime Universe, so I give as much of a shit about these new guys as I do that Riker who got blown up in that Borg war universe in Parallels
Jackson_Roykirk wrote: View Post
Using your logic, we can't care about any original movie character (any original character in any original movie) simply because that the character is not someone we already know or have cared about before the movie.
Spamming. Warned. Comments. PM.
Old January 23 2013, 07:11 PM   #49
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Dagoth wrote: View Post
Can someone provide me with the super long 10 minute trailer I watched in IMAX? I was like 'are they gonna run the whole movie on that trailer'.
No, that one was intended only for theatre viewing. There was a poor-quality phone-cam recording of it making the rounds, but that's probably the only general release the nine-minute trailer will ever see.
Old January 23 2013, 07:39 PM   #50
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore

Using your logic, we can't care about any original movie character (any original character in any original movie) simply because that the character is not someone we already know or have cared about before the movie.
Explain to me how, when watching the original Star Wars for the first time, people cared about what happened to Luke, Leia, and Han, even though they knew nothing about those characters when the movie started.

If we imagine for a moment that ST2009 was the first Star Trek story ever, would you not care about the Kirk, Spock, et al. portrayed in the film? I do understand the reality of it is that ST2009 was NOT the first-ever Star Trek story. However, from the standpoint of a pure-cinematic story-telling potential, why would it matter if the characters in ST2009 are not original? How does that affect the film's ability to make you care about the characters?

Is it soley because Abrams and Co. said the original characters still exist in the prime universe? If so, I don't understand why that matters, considering that those prime universe characters are just as fictional as the Abrams-verse characters. The Abrams-verse fictional characters have every right to be "cared about" by the audience, from a story-telling standpoint (whether people personally thought Abrams and the writers succeeded in that is a totally different argument -- but I cared about them).

...and, by the way, when I watch TNG: Parallels, and I really think about it and get myself into the story, I do feel a bit bad for "Shabby Riker" who got "blowed up" (blowed up real good). Poor guy.

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...

Last edited by Jackson_Roykirk; January 23 2013 at 08:07 PM.
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 07:48 PM   #51
bbailey861
Admiral

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Dagoth wrote: View Post
No, that one was intended only for theatre viewing. There was a poor-quality phone-cam recording of it making the rounds, but that's probably the only general release the nine-minute trailer will ever see.
Until the Blu-ray is released somewhere around Christmas.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 08:15 PM   #52
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Explain to me how, when watching the original Star Wars for the first time, people cared about what happened to Luke, Leia, and Han, even though they knew nothing about those characters when the movie started.
Right. We knew nothing about them. So watching them grow was fun and surprising.

We do, however, already know all about Spock, Kirk, McCoy etc after having seen and read countless stories featuring those guys. Now we get to see how they became those characters only they aren't those characters, they're alternate universe versions. It's like rebooting Spider-Man with Ben Reilly.

If we imagine for a moment that ST2009 was the first Star Trek story ever, would you not care about the Kirk, Spock, et al. portrayed in the film?
Same film, but Star Trek had never existed and this was a new franchise? Would I care about them then? Possibly. But no more so than any other action movie franchise character and I can't say I'm in any hurry to read a novel featuring say, Jack Traven from Speed or something...

..and, by the way, when I watch TNG: Parallels, and I really think about it and get myself into the story, I do feel a bit bad for "Shabby Riker" who got "blowed up". Poor guy.
Good for you.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 08:20 PM   #53
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, but we know that Kirk and Spock etc are running around doing just fine in the Prime Universe...
No, they're not.

They got old, fat, and dull. Stuffy and boring. Kirk fell off a rickety bridge before delivering one of his bizarre line readings ("It was...fun") and croaking. Spock was last seen shuffling through a kind of aimless story about Romulus with a bunch of old guys and Denise Crosby wearing bumpy foam rubber heads. McCoy was wearing a garotte-like ascot for vanity's sake to hide his wattle, Scotty and Uhura were fumbling around with various unappealing menepausal sexual hijinks, Chekov had evolved from Bad Accent/Haircut to Bad Accent/Toupee and Sulu...who gives a fuck about Sulu?

They're not "running around," "doing fine," or being at all interesting. These new guys are a lot more fun now.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 08:22 PM   #54
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Spock was last seen shuffling through a kind of aimless story
I thought you liked Trek XI?
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 08:23 PM   #55
lurok
Commodore

...and, by the way, when I watch TNG: Parallels, and I really think about it and get myself into the story, I do feel a bit bad for "Shabby Riker" who got "blowed up" (blowed up real good). Poor guy.
I'm not a Riker or TNG fan, but even I felt sorry for Shabby Riker What's that word I'm looking for? Ummm...empathy. That's it.
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 08:23 PM   #56
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I don't want to cry. I want to be inspired.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 08:32 PM   #57
The Keeper
Commodore

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
Urgent Sky wrote: View Post
Franklin wrote: View Post
Despite what they say about the "message" of Roddenberry's optimism being in this film, I don't get the vibe the story ends well.
Yeah, I get the impression we're in for a cliffhanger ending.
I had that feeling too, back in September.

Someone (I think it was Pine) said a while ago in an interview that had no idea how Star Trek was supposed to continue after the end of STID, or at least it was something to that effect. But he said he was sure that the writers would think of something.

I can't find that snippet anymore, it was over on Trekweb months ago ... does anyone remember?
I think it was the infamous interview which spawned the 'last ST movie for Quinto?' rumor. It is below but the full transcript is absent on that page, video only.

http://trekmovie.com/2012/09/07/chri...er-and-bolder/

Notice the URL for that page has "chris-pine-says-star-trek-sequel-is-" blah blah blah within it but it is Quinto speaking.

I believe the lines we're thinking of is; Quinto: "I'm really excited to see what they do with it but, you know...."

On topic, Thanks for the warning JJ. I'll be sure to bring plenty of tissues with me.
The Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 08:32 PM   #58
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I don't want to cry. I want to be inspired.
Then if you're over 12 years old Star Trek's not for you.
Old January 23 2013, 08:35 PM   #59
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Spock was last seen shuffling through a kind of aimless story
I thought you liked Trek XI?
Loved it, but Prime Spock was a footnote to what made it great. You're right, though - thanks to Abrams, Nimoy's Spock has been somewhat redeemed.
Old January 23 2013, 08:37 PM   #60
Garrovick
Commander

I teared up when Spock died at the end of TWOK.

I teared up again when the Enterprise self-destructed in TSFS.

I STILL get tears (of joy) to this day at the last 5 minutes of TVH (The Enterprise-A reveal, but also Sarek's talk with Spock in the Council chamber).

I'm sorry, I just can't imagine anything in Into Darkness affecting me that profoundly.
Garrovick is offline   Reply With Quote