New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 23 2013, 06:14 AM   #31
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: Abrams: Expect To Cry

I teared up when the Enterprise went down in flames in STIII.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 06:31 AM   #32
Oso Blanco
Fleet Captain

Urgent Sky wrote: View Post
Franklin wrote: View Post
Despite what they say about the "message" of Roddenberry's optimism being in this film, I don't get the vibe the story ends well.
Yeah, I get the impression we're in for a cliffhanger ending.
Someone (I think it was Pine) said a while ago in an interview that had no idea how Star Trek was supposed to continue after the end of STID, or at least it was something to that effect. But he said he was sure that the writers would think of something.

I can't find that snippet anymore, it was over on Trekweb months ago ... does anyone remember?
Old January 23 2013, 06:33 AM   #33
Grup
Lieutenant Commander

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
I teared up when the Enterprise went down in flames in STIII.
That was another moment that was hard to witness. But SO epic!
Grup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 06:35 AM   #34
Grup
Lieutenant Commander

Franklin wrote: View Post

It was on SyFy this week, and I came across the last 20 minutes while channel surfing. I watched it, and I STILL teared up twenty years later. It usually starts when Spock says Kirk should tell Starfleet Command to go to hell.
Yep.
Grup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 06:49 AM   #35
Melakon
Vice Admiral

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Dale Sams wrote: View Post
Bye Uhura.
Or maybe bye McCoy.
Or maybe bye Abrams.
Old January 23 2013, 11:11 AM   #36
brian577
Captain

The only Star Trek movie that ever made me cry was The Wrath of Kahn, don't bet on it. These characters have been in one movie together, why should I care what happens to them when I have not had any time to develop any emotional attachment to them? It doesn't help when I can only see them as a pale imitation of the original TOS crew.
brian577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 02:07 PM   #37
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

So you've never cried (or felt some sort of sadness) for the fate of any character in a film where it was your first ever encounter with that character? Wow. I can understand not caring about a set of characters because you didn't like a movie (Trek or otherwise), but do you really need repeated and prolonged exposure, over several films, to "care" about any character at all?
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 02:22 PM   #38
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Yeah, but we know that Kirk and Spock etc are running around doing just fine in the Prime Universe, so I give as much of a shit about these new guys as I do that Riker who got blown up in that Borg war universe in Parallels
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 02:29 PM   #39
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

George Kirk's suicide run and Amanda's death left huge lumps in my throat. No other Trek has had that effect on me, with the exception of crying over Tasha's death when I was 5.
Grup wrote: View Post
I don't know about anybody else, but I was stirred by the 'signing off' at the end of The Undiscovered Country.
I didn't believe for a second that it was really the end. And indeed, most of the characters popped up again here and there in TNG and others. Chekov and Uhura were back as recently as a few years ago in the fan film Of Gods and Men!
Old January 23 2013, 03:02 PM   #40
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Yeah, but we know that Kirk and Spock etc are running around doing just fine in the Prime Universe, so I give as much of a shit about these new guys as I do that Riker who got blown up in that Borg war universe in Parallels
We met Shabby Riker about one minute before his Enterprise blew up. We have seen a 2 hour film of these new guys, and will get another 2 hour film to get better acquanited with them.

Using your logic, we can't care about any original movie character (any original character in any original movie) simply because that the character is not someone we already know or have cared about before the movie. I have seen plenty of films that featured original characters whom I grew to care about during the film.

I think Abrams and company did a decent job making me care about most of the characters in the first film -- although being an origin film, the creative didn't have a lot of time to do so. I think I will care even more about them in this second film as I learn more about them and watch them interact.

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 03:13 PM   #41
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Jackson_Roykirk wrote: View Post
Using your logic, we can't care about any original movie character (any original character in any original movie) simply because that the character is not someone we already know or have cared about before the movie.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 03:58 PM   #42
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

The only movie that I came close to crying was Cinderella.

We'll see with this.
"Tonight's a special night."
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 04:16 PM   #43
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Kruezerman wrote: View Post
The only movie that I came close to crying was Cinderella.

We'll see with this.
Was it when the glass slipper fit? That was a wonderful moment.

C'mon, you didn't even come close to crying in "Bambi"?
Old January 23 2013, 04:20 PM   #44
The Stig
Rear Admiral

Well, the first ten minutes of Trek 09 were very emotional. I didn't shed a tear, but the sheer brutality of the attack and the echoey near-silence of Kirk's birth combined with Giacchino's score was very moving. I also got a little choked up during the shuttle sequence when the new Enterprise was revealed. It was treated with such adoration and respect that it felt a little like coming home again.

Speaking of Giacchino, he can really bring the tears when the situation requires. The first eight minutes of Up are virtually unwatchable for me. I get emotional even thinking of them and the music was a big part of that. Given the right material to work with, he might be enough to push me over the edge. We'll see.

Of course, I also cried at the end of 'Armageddon,' so what the hell do I know? "Harry, no!"

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 05:07 PM   #45
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
Grup wrote: View Post
I don't know about anybody else, but I was stirred by the 'signing off' at the end of The Undiscovered Country.
I'm a big boohooer, but originally on seeing TWOK, I held on until Kirk got that hitch in his throat...then it was all over.
When Radiated Spock gave Kirk the "V" sign some heartless bastard next to me whispered "Live Long and Phospher," and I laughed my ass off.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote