Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old January 22 2013, 10:51 PM   #61
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek will be out of date soon!

BillJ wrote: View Post
Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
It's amusing that the TOS people still have their flip-top cell phones. I ditched mine years ago.
Well, it likely serves as some type of antenna since not to many unexplored worlds have cell phone towers.
Yeah, even as a kid watching TOS reruns, I thought the top of the communicator was an antenna.
Old January 23 2013, 01:44 AM   #62
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

RPJOB wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
RPJOB wrote: View Post

You mean our world has orbital nuclear platforms, genetic supermen, interplanetary spacecraft that look like submarines and the rest? Wow, who knew?

What Trek tends to do is ignore what they have shown us about the 20th century except for things like Khan coming from that time.

What are they going to do when we don't have sanctuary districts and Vulcan spacecraft landing in Montana? Or when we don't discover warp drive or dilithium?
Those would be the parts that are ignored when the real calender catches up with Star Treks continuity. Not always, but most of the time. You know, like I said in my second paragraph.
What about when we discover that you can't travel faster than light (you know, like now)? Or that a human/alien hybrid is just silly (again, like now)? Or that turning someone into energy in order to reassemble them someplace else would just create a big BOOM (once again, like now)?

Leave Trek be what it is. If we require something to replace it let's have something new, like Roddenberry did back in the 60's.
Two different things.

Star Trek is supposed to be set in our future, not some alternate history/reality. That's what it is. So ignore or just don't mention the stuff that contradicts actual events. Replacing or ignoring those events is not replacing the show. Its moving the show forward by adapting it to the times.

As a science fiction show, Star Trek is allowed to have warp drive, hybrids and transporters.
Old January 23 2013, 04:54 AM   #63
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

What it is to be human is changing, and ever more quickly, even as we speak. Meaning computer-brain interface and brain to brain connection. So in a few years not to have that in a fictional future might seem really weird, like when we read a scifi book written in the 1890s and nobody has cars in the futuristic 1980s. Borg as something terrible might be really laughable to the augmented people watching TNG 10 or 30 years from now.

But we still read Verne and Welles and even Bradbury (who has guys smoking on one of his Mars missions, iirc - how stone age!) to gain insight into their conceptions of the future and - more importantly - their conceptions of the human adventure. Which is, after all, only beginning.
Old January 23 2013, 05:51 AM   #64
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

This is going to be difficult to understand, but I'll take a stab at it. As I get older, I find that I feel more in touch with people that lived in other times.

EX: When you're a kid and read about Mutiny on the Bounty or WW2...those people may as well be aliens. But when you're older, you think "Mutiny on the Bounty was just FOUR of my lifetimes ago. Those people wern't aliens. They had the exact same fears and desire for life that we all do."

So when people talk about 'singularities' and how unrecognizable the future soon will be....I'm skeptical.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 05:58 AM   #65
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

The future will be something totally unexpected.
Old January 23 2013, 06:01 AM   #66
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

Like I said, I've been waiting on my flying car, killer bees, and jetpack for quite some time.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 06:03 AM   #67
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
Like I said, I've been waiting on my flying car, killer bees, and jetpack for quite some time.
I just turned 54, we reach.
Old January 23 2013, 06:17 AM   #68
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
I just turned 54, we reach.
Well, at least I don't feel quite so old now (62 tomorrow).
Old January 23 2013, 03:45 PM   #69
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

Flying cars and jetpacks are both commercially available.