Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 23 2013, 10:37 AM   #376
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: Once Upon A Time - Season 2 Thread

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Well, given that they've already mashed together Grimm's fairy tales, the Arabian Nights, Greek mythology, Arthurian legendry, Chinese folk tales, Alice in Wonderland, Pinocchio, Peter Pan, and Frankenstein (with, apparently, Hans Christian Andersen and L. Frank Baum on the way),
And FreakyLinks!
And 101 Dalmatians!
Hooray for the Multiverse.

sojourner wrote: View Post
Here's a question. Does Disney exist in the world of Storybrooke?
And, if not, how does it effect contemporary culture? That's what I've always wondered about those modern-day Sherlock Holmes series; there's never any ramifications to there being no fictional Holmes.
Old January 23 2013, 01:31 PM   #377
stj
Rear Admiral

^^^You know the final scene of the series has already been written, don't you? It's repurposed/tweaked footage of Walt Disney introducing a new program, called Once Upon a Time.
Old January 23 2013, 04:24 PM   #378
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Aren't the characters aware that they exist as Fairy Tale characters in the real world? So why wouldn't Disney exist there?
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 04:42 PM   #379
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Many of the fairy tales and other fictional characters being referenced are older than Disney itself, which has become something of a central clearing house for such things. It could be argued that many of these stories could have their roots in much older kinds of mythology that have been repackaged by Disney at a later time for children's consumption. I'm not a student of fairy tale history, but that would be my guess.
Old January 23 2013, 05:17 PM   #380
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Many of the fairy tales and other fictional characters being referenced are older than Disney itself, which has become something of a central clearing house for such things. It could be argued that many of these stories could have their roots in much older kinds of mythology that have been repackaged by Disney at a later time for children's consumption. I'm not a student of fairy tale history, but that would be my guess.
The homogenization and sanitation of Fairy Tales predate Disney. Though I'm fairly certain that names like Belle (Beauty and the Beast), Aurora, Phillip and Malecifent (Sleeping Beauty) originated with Disney. So the versions we see in Once Upon a Time are influenced by the Disney versions.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old January 23 2013, 05:38 PM   #381
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
The homogenization and sanitation of Fairy Tales predate Disney. Though I'm fairly certain that names like Belle (Beauty and the Beast), Aurora, Phillip and Malecifent (Sleeping Beauty) originated with Disney. So the versions we see in Once Upon a Time are influenced by the Disney versions.
Ditto for the names of the Seven Dwarves: Grumpy, Doc, Sneezy, etc. Those were invented for the Disney version.
Old January 23 2013, 06:54 PM   #382
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Yeah, I was referring more to the Grimm-related stories (which included Rumpelstiltskin), Werewolves and Frankenstein.
Old January 23 2013, 07:21 PM   #383
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Werewolves aren't exactly Fairy Tales and neither is Frankenstein. Though I suppose there could be a connection between the wolf character(s) seen in Red Riding Hood and The Three Little Pigs and the Werewolf legend.

Yes, the folk tales, myth and legends are all pretty old. The Grimms' version of the stories only date back to the 1800s and are taken from earlier ones. Even the Grimms edited the stories to make them more child friendly. (Apparently there were complaints about the first edition).
Old January 23 2013, 11:02 PM   #384
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

stj wrote: View Post
^^^You know the final scene of the series has already been written, don't you? It's repurposed/tweaked footage of Walt Disney introducing a new program, called Once Upon a Time.
Something like that would actually be pretty cool.
Old January 24 2013, 06:53 AM   #385
JD
Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Aren't the characters aware that they exist as Fairy Tale characters in the real world?
I'm kind of annoyed that they've never really addressed the connection between the characters and our centuries old fairy tales. If the characters only came to Storybrooke 28 years ago, does that mean that they were immortal or aged really slowly in the fairy tale world so they could predate our versions of their stories? How did people in our world learn about them in order to tell the stories?
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 07:02 AM   #386
Technobuilder
Commodore

What I want to know is this....

How the heck are they going to explain how Storybrooke survives as a thriving town?

-Where does the food come from for Granny's Dinner?
-Where do the medical Supplies come from for Frankenstein's Hospital?
-Where does the Gas come from that supplies the Gas Station?
-If the curse prevented outsiders from entering the town limits for 28 years? how did the town have internet in the very first episode? Who installed it? Where does the town get power?

Were magics in place to provide all these things previously? If so, are they still in play? If not, they've got more to worry about than strangers in town. They're going to run out of modern supplies in no time at all.

Seriously, why has no one addressed this crap in the show?
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"
Technobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 07:04 AM   #387
JD
Admiral

I never thought about any of that before.
Old January 24 2013, 07:10 AM   #388
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Time probably flows different in the other worlds.

Their connection with us could be many things.

They could be a product of our collective subconscious. Our tellings, believing and retellings of the legends, myths and fables actually brought them into existence. Or perhaps the worlds of fantasy are linked to us via dreams. (an idea actually touched upon in the series) So the fairy tales are our interpretations of these"dreams". Obviously sometimes things get lost in the "translation".
Old January 24 2013, 07:12 AM   #389
JD
Admiral

Yeah, those sound like they could be pretty probable. It would just be nice if it was addressed in the show eventually.
Old January 24 2013, 07:20 AM   #390
sojourner
Vice Admiral

We already know time passes differently. They've been in Storybrooke for 28 years. Yet if that amount of time had passed in fairytale world, Hook should be an old man by now.