Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed

Trek Big Bang Figures

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

Old January 23 2013, 02:04 AM   #706
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: teacake does Stargate: punch it

The Fourth Horseman Part 1: I am really the person they write twists for, it never occurred to me that Gerak would end up a Pryor. I'm very interested to see how this effects his standing with the Jaffa, whether it is seen as a betrayal. It's quite sad that so many of them abruptly freed (from some of their perspectives) from the control of the Goa'uld are so rudderless as to be desperate for a new power to pledge their lives to.

The Orlin thing is odd.. couldn't get the original actor or just decided to go with this twist?

I wanted to watch Part 2 last night but got interrupted, looking forward to watching it later on.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old January 23 2013, 02:25 AM   #707
gturner
Admiral

I'm not sure wby they bad Orlin return as a child, but perhaps it was because they wanted to have an Ancient intervene in a limited way (at least enough to explain some plot points) and Orlin was the only Ancient they could task for the role, but they didn't want to reintroduce a real romantic entanglement for Carter.

Perhaps they just like to leave her bizarrely conflicted. Does she reunite with the Orlin child, or drive to the local high-school and seek solace in the arms of the Jack O'Neill clone child that Loki created? Perhaps a threesome behind Chuck-E-Cheese?

It could've been worse.

"Orlin. If a human brain isn't big enough, why didn't you come back as an Asgard?"

"Because then you'd just stare at my naked little Asgard butt, and I wasn't sure I'd be comfortable with that. Also, I don't like their little food cubes. Even the yellow ones."
Old January 23 2013, 02:37 AM   #708
The Wormhole
Admiral

As I understand it, the original actor was unavaiable. Since this meant recasting they decided "let's make his new appearance part of the plot," and he ended up as a child.

Fun fact, General Hammond's cameo was originally written for General John Jumper, who was at the time the real-life US Air Force Chief of Staff (and had previously appeared in Lost City). General Jumper had to back out at the last minute, and therefore the scene was given to Hammond instead.
Old January 23 2013, 07:26 AM   #709
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
As I understand it, the original actor was unavaiable. Since this meant recasting they decided "let's make his new appearance part of the plot," and he ended up as a child.

Fun fact, General Hammond's cameo was originally written for General John Jumper, who was at the time the real-life US Air Force Chief of Staff (and had previously appeared in Lost City). General Jumper had to back out at the last minute, and therefore the scene was given to Hammond instead.
I'll put it in spoilers just in case....

Old January 23 2013, 10:24 AM   #710
teacake
Admiral

The Fourth Horseman Part 2: Great second part, felt like some classic Stargate. Watching them capture the Pryor was cool though I missed O'Neill when Mitchell and Daniel were having their witty repartee.. kind of wannabe without O'Neill there!

Mitchell does mention one of my favorite cheeses which surprised me as it's kind of obscure.

Orlin's ending was sad! I hope we something else for him in the future but perhaps that's it (don't tell me). I was impressed too with Gerak's coming to his senses and sacrifice. Altogether a satisfying episode that progresses the story of the Jaffa, our understanding of the Ori and leaves us still facing the enemy. Good stuff.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old January 23 2013, 05:16 PM   #711
The Wormhole
Admiral

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post

I'll put it in spoilers just in case....

Old January 26 2013, 07:34 AM   #712
teacake
Admiral

Collateral Damage: An episode about memory. Wait. Wasn't this a VOY ep too? Or was that just my imagination.. no wait it was.. Tuvok! No, not Tuvok, Paris! Yes, yes someone was the culprit. I think.

That it took me TWO hours to watch this due to near constant interruptions may have contributed to my mehness.

However bonus points for seeing Woolsey's dream woman in another Stargate role

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old January 26 2013, 09:10 AM   #713
DrunkUncle
Ensign

teacake wrote: View Post

However bonus points for seeing Woolsey's dream woman in another Stargate role
She's actually in SGU too as Chloe's mother
Old January 26 2013, 09:39 AM   #714
teacake
Admiral

I vaguely remember that.

That Chloe was such a bore.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old January 26 2013, 10:57 AM   #715
teacake
Admiral

Ripple Effect: I was a bit bored with this until Janet showed up OH it was so good to see her again, why did we have to lose her? (No really, why?) And Martouf was looking older (and better). Lots of teases about who Carter is with in other realities. And then there's the blue jello..

Enough for ALL Carters!

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old January 26 2013, 12:55 PM   #716
teacake
Admiral

Stronghold: Eery time I see the Goa'uld again I think OH I MISS THEM. So happy to have the foppish Baal back.. and in a suit that would suit a Ferengi. Or perhaps a very florid poet. I'm getting Byron vibes here.

Great episode though the friend of Mitchell subplot was pointless. Yes Mitchell feels bad about stuff that happened, next please. But the rest of it was in fine form

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old January 26 2013, 02:42 PM   #717
The Wormhole
Admiral

That it took me TWO hours to watch this due to near constant interruptions may have contributed to my mehness.
No, it really wasn't that great an episode. It was nice to have some backstory given for Mitchell, but otherwise, meh.

And yes, it essentially is a remake of a Voyager episode.

And Martouf was looking older (and better).
I always thought Martouf's teeth looked far too white in this episode. Strange comment, I know.

Stronghold: Eery time I see the Goa'uld again I think OH I MISS THEM.
The final battle at the end of this episode (the combined SG teams against Baal's Jaffa) is one I've always liked, primarily because it feels like old school SG-1 with so much nostalgia and really made me realize how much the Ori story had changed the show. Baal himself is great in this episode, especially when he admits to Teal'c that he's not really a god.
Old January 26 2013, 11:38 PM   #718
teacake
Admiral

Yeah Baal is fantastic! I want to see the old gang again, bring back Hathor!

And as to teeth, I'm Australian and people on tv's teeth always look too white

Ethon: Why is this episode called Ethon? Who or what is Ethon?

This was engaging because they used the Ori to mess with a people we already knew, made it feel less like a bunch of new stuff thrown at us. It was great to see Jarod Kaine again, he's a rather good looking man with a lot of presence.

I was completely shocked that the Prometheus was destroyed and her captain with it. Got a bit teary.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old January 27 2013, 02:56 AM   #719
The Wormhole
Admiral

Ethon: Why is this episode called Ethon? Who or what is Ethon?
I don't know why they used the spelling Ethon, but Aethon is a Greek word which means burning. Also, in Greek mythology, it's an eagle which mocked Prometheus. Basically, the title of the episode a layered way of saying "the Prometheus will be destroyed in this episode." Good thing you didn't know what it meant, otherise the title would be a spoiler.

Here's the Wikipedia page for Aethon.
Old January 27 2013, 06:13 AM   #720
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

They killed Janet off because they thought the show was ending that season (and season 5, 6, 8) and wanted to show that no matter how many times Daniel comes back from the dead that death is still a real thing everyone faces when they go through the Stargate.