Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old June 17 2010, 01:10 AM   #31
Chrisisall
Commodore

Re: Campaign to Restore William Shatner's STV TFF for Blu-ray spec. ed

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
How to make a new STV release an improvement over previous releases--

1) Leave off the movie.

2) Film William Shatner looking into the camera and offering a heartfelt apology.
My phaser is set to kill...
Chrisisall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2010, 03:57 AM   #32
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

Sarek of Vulcan wrote: View Post
Navigator_NCC2120 wrote: View Post
. . . I wish it had never been made.
Fortunately, there are plenty of people who like the movie and are glad it was made. I'm not a big fan of Nemesis, but there are a good number of fans that enjoyed the movie. I wouldn't wish the movie hadn't been made, because all I have to do is not watch it. I don't have to watch it, and the people who enjoy the movie get to continue enjoying it. Anything else is a waste of time and effort.
Eminently logical, Sarek of Vulcan, and may I add, humane.
Old January 16 2013, 05:08 AM   #33
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

From rob meyer burnett who is doing the special feature documentaries on the TNG-R Blu-ray's
I'd always wanted to do a Director's Cut of Star Trek V just as Paramount had done earlier with Star Trek: The Motion Picture, and I really wanted to go in and rebuild – or at least have CGI versions of – the rock men, and really redo the ending of Star Trek V and fix things. There’s a lot of really sloppy, bad work. The famous ‘rocket boots up the corridors of the Enterprise’ that are backwards, and there are way too many decks on the Enterprise; you’re at like Deck 75, then you’re at Deck 50, then you’re back up to Deck 75 again, or whatever the numbers are… it’s like, come on, man! We all know that Deck 1 is the bridge, and it goes down from there!

I wanted to fix all that, because I think the great problem with Star Trek V is the tone. I think there’s a much better – you could go in there and recut and restructure that movie and get rid of all the really dumb humor.
http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/01092...rburnett1.html
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 04:24 PM   #34
Lance
Fleet Captain

^ I honestly think the same is true of ST: Nemesis. There's enough genuinely good material which was filmed but cut that could be spliced back in and would go some way towards saving that movie. It's probably true of all bad movies. But resources are such that opportunities like that are rare. One could argue TMP only really got done because it had Robert Wise attached to it (when one of cinema's great directors comes knocking at the door, you don't shut it in his face). Not so much William Shatner.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 07:20 PM   #35
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

One could create a Kickstarter for a TFF restoration. Including going back into the archives and adding and removing stuff. That way, Paramount wouldn't have to pay one cent for the process, and they could still sell it on blu ray.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 08:44 PM   #36
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
One could create a Kickstarter for a TFF restoration. Including going back into the archives and adding and removing stuff. That way, Paramount wouldn't have to pay one cent for the process, and they could still sell it on blu ray.
Sorry, but no. I would support a kickstarter project if it were an independent non-profit effort like some of the fan films. I would support a kickstarter project if Paramount said they were going to give the resulting cut away for free. But I am not going to contribute money to create a commercial product that Paramount is then going to sell and make money on. If they believe there is a market there, they should finance it. Star Trek is not a charity.

Having said that, I do believe that there is enough good stuff in TFF that a recutting of the film, ala TMP:TDE could produce something worthwhile. I still think it's something of a longshot, but given the success of TOS Remastered and the TNG Blu-rays, and the renewed interest in Trek brought about by the Abrams films, I think it's more possible now than it was back when they did the DVD releases.
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2013, 02:18 AM   #37
tmosler
Lieutenant Commander

I really hope this happends the final frinter could be a lot better with a directors edition
tmosler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2013, 02:25 AM   #38
Dukhat
Commodore

tmosler wrote: View Post
I really hope this happends the final frinter could be a lot better with a directors edition
No it wouldn't.
Old January 18 2013, 03:34 AM   #39
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Quoting yourself is hardly a conclusive argument. And besides, he didn't say a director's cut of ST5 would be great, he said it would be better. And I agree. The only way is up.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2013, 04:30 AM   #40
Dukhat
Commodore

Tosk wrote: View Post
Quoting yourself is hardly a conclusive argument. And besides, he didn't say a director's cut of ST5 would be great, he said it would be better. And I agree. The only way is up.
I was only quoting myself because that's my reply to another topic about the exact same thing, and I didn't feel like cutting and pasting my response here. And I don't agree that it would be better, unless it makes it better solely by the criteria that it makes a crappy film shorter so one doesn't have to sit through it as long.
Old January 18 2013, 05:10 AM   #41
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

NewHorizon wrote: View Post
Dennis wrote: View Post
No, it's not.
Yes, it is.

Especially after viewing the fan edit "In Thy Image". They cut it down to the length of a standard episode. Sybok is no longer Spock's brother, a lot of the comedy is trimmed out, as well as some other embarrassing stuff. Really made the tone of the story a lot darker.
No, it's not.

I've seen the "fan edit." Not impressed.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2013, 08:36 AM   #42
Maurice
Vice Admiral

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
From rob meyer burnett who is doing the special feature documentaries on the TNG-R Blu-ray's
I'd always wanted to do a Director's Cut of Star Trek V just as Paramount had done earlier with Star Trek: The Motion Picture, and I really wanted to go in and rebuild – or at least have CGI versions of – the rock men, and really redo the ending of Star Trek V and fix things. There’s a lot of really sloppy, bad work. The famous ‘rocket boots up the corridors of the Enterprise’ that are backwards, and there are way too many decks on the Enterprise; you’re at like Deck 75, then you’re at Deck 50, then you’re back up to Deck 75 again, or whatever the numbers are… it’s like, come on, man! We all know that Deck 1 is the bridge, and it goes down from there!

I wanted to fix all that, because I think the great problem with Star Trek V is the tone. I think there’s a much better – you could go in there and recut and restructure that movie and get rid of all the really dumb humor.
http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/01092...rburnett1.html
"I'd always wanted to do a Director's Cut of Star Trek V". Umm, Mr. B., you're not the director, so YOU doing a cut of the film would not be a "director's cut".
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2013, 10:43 AM   #43
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
NewHorizon wrote: View Post
Dennis wrote: View Post
No, it's not.
Yes, it is.

Especially after viewing the fan edit "In Thy Image". They cut it down to the length of a standard episode. Sybok is no longer Spock's brother, a lot of the comedy is trimmed out, as well as some other embarrassing stuff. Really made the tone of the story a lot darker.
No, it's not.

I've seen the "fan edit." Not impressed.
+1

With respect to Jack Marshall, the cut of "In Thy Image" is awkward to watch and clumsily done.
Old January 19 2013, 03:49 PM   #44
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

The visual effects of Star Trek V have never bothered me. The story and script, on the other hand, have.
Old January 23 2013, 03:13 AM   #45
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

I'd really like to see this actually. I once saw a fan's attempt to replace the FX, making them more inkeeping with ILM. Spacecraft without all the matt lines on show and something I remember, a slow zoom in on Spock standing in that observation room with the Captain's Wheel. There's talk on the DVD commentary of the originally conceived title sequence - zooming through space from Nimbus, across the galaxy to eventually focus on Kirk climbing the mountain - and how Contact eventually became the first film to achieve that.

But for it to be a Director's Edition, he'd have to run everything by Shatner. Otherwise it's an Enhanced Special Edition.

I can't see the objection to it, with all the theatrical editions on Blu ray. Hopefully The Motion Picture would also be looked at again, matching Wise's approved cut with the updated FX sequences re-rendered in HD.

Same with Burnett's other idea, presumably reanimating The Animated Series so it's a little less 2-D and more like a lost season of the Original Series.

In terms of making Trek desirable on Blu ray, giving the same-old a makeover to better appreciate TOS, those are ideas which could capitalise on what were assuming is going to be another blockbuster with reimagined Kirk, Spock, McCoy et all.

The extras so far for Remastered TNG are amazing and promise to be exciting for terminally underrated ENT, with no doubt revelatory tales about internal power struggles going on between creators and studio. So yeah, initally sounds crazy but I can see revisiting even TFF worthwhile... the longer a Star Trek drought between new stuff goes on. It's got to have some basis in what Shatner regrets, what was planned and might've happened, if he'd had a little more time and money... or else it's one fan's edit to remove all the controversial stuff. I suspect the lighter tone is Shatner's own idea, but you could certainly make the turbolift shift consistent with the universe... if not how he's decided to place characters in toe-curlingly embarrassing situations. Much worse humiliation happened onscreen back in the 60s if were being brutally honest here.

Last edited by ChristopherPike; January 23 2013 at 03:58 AM.
ChristopherPike is offline   Reply With Quote