Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old January 22 2013, 09:41 PM   #46
ToddCam
Captain

Re: Officially no series 8 in 2013

What terrible timing. Would it be at all profitable for the BBC to sell Who to a network? Forgive me if it's ludicrous, I don't know anything about broadcasting...
ToddCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 09:45 PM   #47
StCoop
Commodore

ToddCam wrote: View Post
What terrible timing. Would it be at all profitable for the BBC to sell Who to a network? Forgive me if it's ludicrous, I don't know anything about broadcasting...
There have been rumours that it could move over to becoming a BBC Worldwide production, which would allow BBC America to come in as full co-production partners rather than just chipping in the odd bit of cash as they do now. (It would also put Julie Gardner back in charge of it again!)
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 09:49 PM   #48
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

As long as we get some new episodes in spring, I don't really care if they call it season 8, 7B or whatever. But I'm disappointed that the 50 year anniversary is only going to be 60 minutes (if that's accurate). I would have expected at the very least a 90 min special or a 2 - 4 part miniseries.

This is the first time DW has been on the air in a year ending in '3' since 1983, it's now one of the BBC's mainstays and biggest attractions and this is the best they can do?
Old January 22 2013, 10:09 PM   #49
MacLeod
Admiral

You never know dear old Auntie Beeb might have something in mind, that hasn't been announced yet.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 10:14 PM   #50
StCoop
Commodore

MacLeod wrote: View Post
You never know dear old Auntie Beeb might have something in mind, that hasn't been announced yet.
Like what? Every statement from everyone involved now sings from the same sheet and points in the one direction.

And they're hardly going to leave anything important off advertising material that's aimed at Trade rather than the general public.
Old January 22 2013, 10:21 PM   #51
MacLeod
Admiral

^Unless they haven't finalised that material.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 10:22 PM   #52
StCoop
Commodore

It's nearly February now. They know exactly what's happening this year.
Old January 22 2013, 10:43 PM   #53
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

StCoop wrote: View Post
It's nearly February now. They know exactly what's happening this year.
Plus, the point of that material is to let merchandise buyers for the retail chains know what kind of support they can expect from the series. If there's eight episodes in the spring or a special in the autumn, buyers will want to know that because that's when their customers will be high on Doctor Who. Likewise, if there's nothing in the summer or winter months, buyers will want to know not to stock Doctor Who merchandise then because it's dead weight. The list, in other words, is a guide for the buyers to let them know when to stock their stores -- and when not to. And buyers don't like surprises and rush solicitations because they're very hard to plan for and very difficult to gauge accurately.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 10:52 PM   #54
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

^Exactly it's a chain reaction.

If I was a toy seller and heard there was 50th anniversary special planned then i'll make sure to stock up on some classic series figures etc.

Strike while the iron is hot.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 11:23 PM   #55
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

We've only had one properly scheduled series since 2008 so I'm used to being fucked about but this is still shit news. The show has really failed to build up a momentum for me over these past few years and it's precisely because of random dicking about like this.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 12:17 AM   #56
Captain_Amasov
Captain

StCoop wrote: View Post
ToddCam wrote: View Post
Why is the BBC so strapped for cash? Isn't Who a big moneymaker?
Their Charter doesn't allow them to reinvest the money they make from it into the Show.
Which is sad when you consider that with the cut backs the BBC has had, it still manages this:

"The BBC generated more than £8bn for the UK economy in 2011-12, almost twice its licence fee spend."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21041587
Captain_Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 12:39 AM   #57
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

diankra wrote: View Post
outtakes are getting left in the transmitted versions of recorded programmes (eg: "But the most important aspects... sorry, But the most important and unexpected aspects of this discovery..." the first bit should have been edited out, but got missed). And so on...
Luckily for us that has never been a problem in Doctor Who.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 01:01 AM   #58
diankra
Commodore

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
diankra wrote: View Post
outtakes are getting left in the transmitted versions of recorded programmes (eg: "But the most important aspects... sorry, But the most important and unexpected aspects of this discovery..." the first bit should have been edited out, but got missed). And so on...
Luckily for us that has never been a problem in Doctor Who.
It's a good example of why people used to swear -as offensively as possible - when they made a slip, just to make sure it wasn't used.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 01:51 AM   #59
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Count me in the group that thinks if we aren't getting anything else after 7b, that a 60 minute 50th anniversary special isn't that impressive.

At least give us a 2 parter like The End Of Time. Even without lots of Doctors, it gotta be a big enough story for 2 hours, whatever it is.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 02:22 AM   #60
The Wormhole
Admiral

Konata Izumi wrote: View Post
Only?
That's 24 episodes out of 94 total. Significantly less than half, so yeah, "Only."

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
I thought the 90 minutes for The Five Doctors was perfect. Why not just do that length?
The Five Doctors being 90 minutes isn't really all that impressive when you consider a four part classic Who story (which were the norm during Davison's years) had a combined total run time around 90 minutes. The only difference is that it was shown in one fell swoop as opposed to hacked up into four parts.

Besides, in Pertwee's years six-parters normal but The Three Doctor was only a four parter.

I'm sorry, but while many things about the state of DW these days concern me, the anniversary special being 60 minutes is a non-issue. Sure, I wanted a two-parter like The End of Time featuring all living Doctors, but I've only been expecting a 60 minute story. Honestly the fact that we basically have two gap years in a row as more upsetting to me, and that's not even all that upsetting.