A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old January 22 2013, 08:02 PM   #1
toughlittleship
Fleet Captain

Why is it Deep Space "9"?

Does anyone know how the writers chose "Nine" as the number of the station? Is nine the coolest sounding number?
toughlittleship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 08:05 PM   #2
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Re: Why is it Deep Space "9"?

There were other deep space stations mentioned in TOS and TNG. I'm pretty sure TNG got through DS7. Nine probably seemed most likely to be next in line.
Old January 22 2013, 08:07 PM   #3
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Deep Spaces 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 were sabotaged and destroyed. Deep Spaces 6, 7, and 8 all disappeared without a trace 24 hours after going operational. To this day no one knows why....
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 08:22 PM   #4
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Old January 22 2013, 08:34 PM   #5
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Random number selection.
Old January 22 2013, 08:36 PM   #6
Christopher
Writer

toughlittleship wrote: View Post
Does anyone know how the writers chose "Nine" as the number of the station? Is nine the coolest sounding number?
According to what I read in one of the making-of books (probably The Making of STS9 by the Reeves-Stevenses, though I'm not up to searching for the exact reference), the name Deep Space Nine started out as a placeholder -- just something one of the producers tossed out as a working title when they needed to call it something for reference, not something anyone really liked. But they got into the habit of using it and never thought of a better alternative, and past a certain point everyone was calling it by that name and they were kind of stuck with it. So the number wasn't really chosen for any good reason; it just kind of happened.

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
There were other deep space stations mentioned in TOS and TNG. I'm pretty sure TNG got through DS7. Nine probably seemed most likely to be next in line.
Not really. There was a "Deep Space Station K-7" in "The Trouble With Tribbles," but that's as close as they got. And all the references to "Deep Space #" stations in TNG came along after DS9 was created. So DS9 was the very first station to be referred to by that specific naming pattern.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 09:37 PM   #7
ZeNd
Fleet Captain

DS9 sounds the coolest.
ZeNd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 09:45 PM   #8
Dream
Admiral

Because the name Babylon 5 was already taken.
Old January 22 2013, 11:18 PM   #9
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
Because the name Babylon 5 was already taken.
B5 started on February 22, 1993 with it's pilot. DS9 started on January 3, 1993. So that's over a month ahead... to say nothing of the fact that B5 waited a full year after their pilot episode thingie before they aired weekly.
Old January 22 2013, 11:24 PM   #10
Lance
Fleet Captain

Does it say something about the Federation that, while the cardassians gave the station the moody name 'Terok Nor', the best that Starfleet could come up with was a generically bland sounding letter/number designation?

Mind you, I suppose that 'Terok Nor' could simply be Cardassian for "Subspace Outpost 232", or something.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 11:28 PM   #11
Christopher
Writer

R. Star wrote: View Post
B5 started on February 22, 1993 with it's pilot. DS9 started on January 3, 1993. So that's over a month ahead... to say nothing of the fact that B5 waited a full year after their pilot episode thingie before they aired weekly.
Well, actually JMS was developing B5 for five years before the pilot got made, and he did pitch it to Paramount. But that doesn't make it any less ridiculous and wrong to accuse DS9 of ripping off B5 just because they were both set on space stations. There used to be a good Usenet post by Robert Hewitt Wolfe that systematically demolished the accusation, which was preserved on Google Groups and which I had bookmarked for easy reference, but now I get a 404 Not Found for it.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 11:41 PM   #12
timelord1010
Captain

That's why I print to PDF any web pages I think are important. Too many pages have "disappeared" on me in the past.

You would think a organization like Starfleet would have multiple Deep Space stations out on the edge of Federation space. I guess if we had a TV series going now Deep Space Nine would be changed to Star Base since Bajor is supposedly a member of the Federation now.
timelord1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 11:49 PM   #13
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Lance wrote: View Post
Does it say something about the Federation that, while the cardassians gave the station the moody name 'Terok Nor', the best that Starfleet could come up with was a generically bland sounding letter/number designation?

Mind you, I suppose that 'Terok Nor' could simply be Cardassian for "Subspace Outpost 232", or something.
Weren't all Cardassian stations named ____ Nor? Though I can only remember Empok Nor. So Nor might be an equivalent for starbase.
Old January 22 2013, 11:57 PM   #14
Lance
Fleet Captain

^ I do like the sound of that. 'Terok' and 'Empok' might be representative of the region of space they are located in. A sort of geographical marker. So 'Terok Nor' might mean "Outpost (in) Terok".
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 12:01 AM   #15
Skywalker
Admiral

Because if they called it Deep Space 10 every character would have turned into a lizard.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote