RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,408
Members: 24,630
Currently online: 559
Newest member: DasGeneral

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old January 22 2013, 06:39 PM   #16
lurok
Commodore

Re: Picardo: Keeping In Touch

teacake wrote: View Post
I remember hearing Wang at a con complain that he (Wang) was full of funny ideas and a comedian but they wouldn't let him "do" the humor, they left it all to Mulgrew and Picardo.
He lie
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 09:57 PM   #17
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

I was a fan of China Beach (and Picardo) all through the TNG years (when China Beach was made), and whenever an episode focused on Dr. Richard (his character on Beach), I used to think, "This guy would make a GREAT Star Trek doctor", then I would usually follow that thought with, "yeah, like THAT'll ever happen!". Keep in mind that this was when even DS9 was still about two years in the future. Suffice it to say, I was pleasantly surprised three years later when the Voyager cast was announced.

It was the only time in my life that I was both right and wrong in the same breath.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 11:17 PM   #18
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

lurok wrote: View Post
I remember hearing Wang at a con complain that he (Wang) was full of funny ideas and a comedian but they wouldn't let him "do" the humor, they left it all to Mulgrew and Picardo.
He lie
According to Picardo at a con, if an actor had an idea to make alterations to the script, they had to make their submission in writing and it took two weeks for the "idea" to be processed through legal, the fact checkers and proof readers first before the creative people got to weigh in, which is hardly any time at all considering that's the complete turnover for an episode on the acting side of things.

So yes if the actors wanted to add a joke they could add it, they just had to have a law degree to do so.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 05:42 PM   #19
heavy lids
Lieutenant Commander

I find it hard to believe that Wang had some genuinely funny ideas. That's probably why they never included them in episodes.

Does anyone remember seeing Picardo on Home Improvement? He played the "annoying friend". What a shocker.
Old January 30 2013, 10:06 PM   #20
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Saw him on a new episode of the Mentalist last week.

Looks more like (elderly) Zimmerman everytime I see him.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 10:15 PM   #21
t_smitts
Commander

If you ever see him at a con, ask him about working on "Gremlins 2". He's got a REALLY funny story about that one!
t_smitts is offline   Reply With Quote