Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old January 22 2013, 02:12 AM   #16
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Re: Favorite Garak moments! Go!

Sindatur wrote: View Post
I see you and raise it to simply:

Pretty much every scene Garak has
More or less. All that remain are the ones I come up with in head, like this one I posted years and years ago:

"Now--I know what you're thinking: did he fire six times or only five? Well to tell you the truth ... [hysterical laughter] ... in all of this tremendous excitement, I seem to have miscounted myself. But you see, dear friend, this is a Romulan Vitrex disruptor; it is the most powerful weapon in the quadrant. It is so powerful, in fact, the power cell is completely depleted after only six shots. But, rest assured, it will vaporize you... [more laughter]... without leaving a mess. So I suppose, with the weight of the galaxy's twisted fate bearing down on you, you have to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well... [sadistic smile]... do you, Dukat?"
Old January 22 2013, 02:34 AM   #17
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

^ Poor Andrew Robinson still gets Scorpio Killer jokes...tsk tsk.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 02:37 AM   #18
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Garak and Dukat sniping at each other in "Civil Defense" is pure comedy gold.
Haha, that's always good for a laugh? What we're about to blow up? Who cares so long as I get in one more scathing remark!
Old January 22 2013, 02:38 AM   #19
R. Star
Rear Admiral

By the way... in the spirit of this thread.... anyone who hasn't read A Stitch in Time... do so. It was written by Andrew J. Robinson and is pure gold... and if anyone is to tell Garak's whole story, it's him.
Old January 22 2013, 03:47 AM   #20
LobsterAfternoon
Commander

Might be cause I just watched the episode, but the scene in Tacking Into The Wind, when Garak emerges from the shadows after Kira and the Cardassian resistance dude had a fight, and he tells her that she's gonna have to kill him much sooner than she planned to.
LobsterAfternoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 04:04 AM   #21
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

I don't remember the episode, but there was a scene where they needed to get an unofficial warning to Cardassia for some reason (Klingon invasion?), so Sisko has Garak come measure him for a suit during a staff meeting.

Garak listens as details come out, and Sisko asks if he's finished measuring.

"Yes, I think I have all that I need," says Garak and hurries out.
Old January 22 2013, 04:48 AM   #22
Steven
Admiral

Garak and Quark's conversation about root beer in The Way of the Warrior:

G: "It's vile."
Q: "I know. It's so bubbly and cloying and happy."
G: "Just like the Federation."
Q: "But you know what's really frightening? If you drink enough of it, you start to like it."
G: "It's insidious."
Q: "Just like the Federation."

And of course, who could forget Garak's interpretation of The Boy Who Cried Wolf? "You should never tell the same lie twice."
Old January 22 2013, 05:06 AM   #23
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

^ I love that scene in way of the warrior. I asked arm in about it, at a con last year. That scene and where Garak gets the last word in the pale moonlight.
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 05:12 AM   #24
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

Steven wrote: View Post
Q: "But you know what's really frightening? If you drink enough of it, you start to like it."
This wonderful scene almost got cut for time.
Old January 22 2013, 09:07 AM   #25
lurok
Commodore

Not a scene as such, but his whole skeptical fascination in Our Man Bashir is pure joy.

And the look on his face when Julian shoots him. Priceless.

Guy's a frakkin' acting god.
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 09:30 AM   #26
Mage
Commodore

Melakon wrote: View Post
Actually, I always understood that scene was shot as filler, and they did it in several ways, mostly with a comedy twist to it. Then, they did the scene more dramatic as shown, and everyone loved it.

I looked it up, and we're both right appereantly.

The scene between Garak and Quark in which they discuss root beer was added late in production because the episode was coming up a minute or two short. Armin Shimerman and Andrew Robinson wanted to play the scene with an obvious layer of subtext, but director James L. Conway felt it should be played exclusively for laughs. In the end, Ira Steven Behr came down on the subtext side of the debate, saying of the scene "it was never meant as a joke. It was two aliens giving their individual viewpoints about what it was like to live under the Federation. They have serious problems with the whole Federation philosophy, and the fact that it's such a behemoth organization. But at the same time... even though they question the giant, they want the giant on their side when they're in trouble." (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Companion, p. 261)
According to Ronald D. Moore, when the show was finished it was actually too long, and there was some discussion about whether to cut the root beer scene. Moore fought for it to remain, as it was his favorite scene in the episode. It was almost cut again when the episode was cut into two parts for syndication. He noted, "A great scene. Andy and Armin played it so well, and it's one of the stand-out moments of the season, if not the series. That's always what DS9 is good at, these characters." (Captains' Logs: The Unauthorized Complete Trek Voyages, p. 105)

As for (one of) my favorite Garak scene; when Dukat arrives at the station in By Purgatory's Shadow and nearly strangles Garak because Garak is talking to Ziyal, Garak still has the nerve to say goodbye to Ziyal, saying to Dukat he does have a lovely daughter and that she must take after her mother.
Old January 22 2013, 10:25 AM   #27
Ziz
Commodore

Bashir tells Garak the story of "Peter and the Wolf".

Garak: I trust there's a point to this story, doctor?
Bashir: The point is that if you constantly lie, eventually no one will believe you when you're telling the truth.
Garak: Are you sure that's the only point?
Bashir: What else could it be?
Garak: Don't tell the same lie twice.
Old January 22 2013, 12:31 PM   #28
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Mage wrote: View Post
Melakon wrote: View Post
Actually, I always understood that scene was shot as filler, and they did it in several ways, mostly with a comedy twist to it. Then, they did the scene more dramatic as shown, and everyone loved it.

I looked it up, and we're both right appereantly.

The scene between Garak and Quark in which they discuss root beer was added late in production because the episode was coming up a minute or two short. Armin Shimerman and Andrew Robinson wanted to play the scene with an obvious layer of subtext, but director James L. Conway felt it should be played exclusively for laughs. In the end, Ira Steven Behr came down on the subtext side of the debate, saying of the scene "it was never meant as a joke. It was two aliens giving their individual viewpoints about what it was like to live under the Federation. They have serious problems with the whole Federation philosophy, and the fact that it's such a behemoth organization. But at the same time... even though they question the giant, they want the giant on their side when they're in trouble." (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Companion, p. 261)
According to Ronald D. Moore, when the show was finished it was actually too long, and there was some discussion about whether to cut the root beer scene. Moore fought for it to remain, as it was his favorite scene in the episode. It was almost cut again when the episode was cut into two parts for syndication. He noted, "A great scene. Andy and Armin played it so well, and it's one of the stand-out moments of the season, if not the series. That's always what DS9 is good at, these characters." (Captains' Logs: The Unauthorized Complete Trek Voyages, p. 105)

As for (one of) my favorite Garak scene; when Dukat arrives at the station in By Purgatory's Shadow and nearly strangles Garak because Garak is talking to Ziyal, Garak still has the nerve to say goodbye to Ziyal, saying to Dukat he does have a lovely daughter and that she must take after her mother.
Another reason DS9 is my favorite species. Even obvious filler material was relevant and usually full of wonderful character material.
Old January 22 2013, 01:01 PM   #29
Use of Time
Commodore

The Wire - One of my favorite episodes in all of Star Trek. Garek and Bashir have such great chemistry in this one.
Old January 22 2013, 06:26 PM   #30
Ryva Brall
Commander

Mage wrote: View Post
Hahaha! I love it. Garak has got to be one of the cheekiest Cardassians in history.

Use of Time wrote: View Post
The Wire - One of my favorite episodes in all of Star Trek. Garek and Bashir have such great chemistry in this one.
I LOVE The Wire. It's the first time we see Garak drop his cheery facade, and get a glimpse of the complex, tortured person underneath. Robinson is amazing in that episode. I'm surprised it took until late Season Two for the writers to realize what an asset he was to them. Up until The Wire, he was sadly under-used.

Also, I wonder: if all of Garak's stories about how he became an exile are true... then which parts? Obviously not the part about his "friend" Elim, because Garak IS Elim. Was he saying that he betrayed himself?

Oy. Sorry. I know, if this became a Garak Speculation thread, it could go on forever.
Ryva Brall is offline   Reply With Quote