The Red Shirt Diaries #9
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Greenwood Cast In Truth

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 21 2013, 08:12 PM   #46
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Crew age and nu-Trek

The only age that seems out of whack is Chekov. I just figured the Kelvin incident somehow accelerated his creation. Rest of them seem fine.
Old January 21 2013, 08:16 PM   #47
lurok
Commodore

He just struck me as an eager puppy. I LOVE this moment:

lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2013, 08:53 PM   #48
LobsterAfternoon
Commander

Yeah but most people don't even have 3-4 youngsters capable of such greatness.
LobsterAfternoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2013, 09:28 PM   #49
Franklin
Rear Admiral

I'd like to at least think he's the same Pavel Chekov of the TOS universe, so I guess if I had to come up with an in-universe explanation for the four year difference in age it would be a transporter accident.

It's not like transporter accidents were rare in Trek, and they did peculiar things to people and their physiology. Since all bets are off on history after the Kelvin was destroyed, maybe Pavel was born at the same time as in TOS, but at age three or four, while being transported to visit his aunt on a moon base, an accident aged him four years. He beams up a four year old, and materializes in front of his aunt as an eight year old.

Upon a thorough exam, it was found he was sound and stable in every way, but the aging could not be reversed because the "pollutants" from the malfunctioned transporter matrix buffer affected his DNA. He's still Chekov, with the same personality and ambitions, but he's a bit more intelligent and has curly hair. He also has a four year gap between his physical age and his memories.
Old January 21 2013, 10:04 PM   #50
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Casual viewers dont really care about the character ages. Its simply one thing that modern audiences like - they want to see young and impossibly pretty actors in their movies, although in fact the actors are nowhere near as young as their counterparts - John Cho is roughly 20 years older than Sulu - although Pegg and Urban are about the right age.

My personal preference would have been to leave Chekov out of the first movie and use one of the missing women instead. Janice Rand could have slotted in quite nicely as a security guard or Pike's yeoman (or both). I understand why they wanted to use Chekov straight away but they leave Robin out of all the early Batman movies. Cramming all the big 7 into the first film was not all that necessary. If Chekov was missing, fans would have accepted it in a heartbeat and non-fans would not care either way.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2013, 10:36 PM   #51
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
Casual viewers dont really care about the character ages. Its simply one thing that modern audiences like - they want to see young and impossibly pretty actors in their movies, although in fact the actors are nowhere near as young as their counterparts - John Cho is roughly 20 years older than Sulu - although Pegg and Urban are about the right age.

My personal preference would have been to leave Chekov out of the first movie and use one of the missing women instead. Janice Rand could have slotted in quite nicely as a security guard or Pike's yeoman (or both). I understand why they wanted to use Chekov straight away but they leave Robin out of all the early Batman movies. Cramming all the big 7 into the first film was not all that necessary. If Chekov was missing, fans would have accepted it in a heartbeat and non-fans would not care either way.
Entirely correct. The "family" idea among the seven is a bit overplayed this early, too. Hence, their somewhat contrived union. It was hardly that organic in TOS.

Thinking back on it, your post rattles a memory that back in the late 1970s, a lot of fans did make it clear to any powers-that-be (to the extent they could influence anything at all) that they wanted all seven major characters in any Trek movie, and they had to be played by the TV actors.

This was different, now, of course.
Old January 21 2013, 11:15 PM   #52
Christopher
Writer

Franklin wrote: View Post
I'd like to at least think he's the same Pavel Chekov of the TOS universe, so I guess if I had to come up with an in-universe explanation for the four year difference in age it would be a transporter accident.
Wouldn't it be much simpler to assume Chekov simply misstated his age in "Who Mourns for Adonais," that for some reason he said 22 when he was 26? Maybe he wasn't using Earth years. Maybe he had some reason to pretend to be younger than he was.

The simplest solution of all would be just to ignore the "Twenty-two, sir" line in "Adonais" and assume he said 26 instead, or maybe 25 depending on where in the year it fell. Heck, there are plenty of other numbers and minor details in Trek that we simply have to ignore, like "James R. Kirk" and the timing discrepancies I mentioned in several above posts.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2013, 11:25 PM   #53
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Wouldn't it be much simpler to assume Chekov simply misstated his age in "Who Mourns for Adonais," that for some reason he said 22 when he was 26? Maybe he wasn't using Earth years. Maybe he had some reason to pretend to be younger than he was.

The simplest solution of all would be just to ignore the "Twenty-two, sir" line in "Adonais" and assume he said 26 instead, or maybe 25 depending on where in the year it fell. Heck, there are plenty of other numbers and minor details in Trek that we simply have to ignore, like "James R. Kirk" and the timing discrepancies I mentioned in several above posts.
It would definitely be much better to ignore the line in "Adonais". I'd prefer it. He was just seventeen. You know what I mean. Or to give equal time, people can ignore the line about being just 17 in ST09. It's their preference.

I was only being facetious in making up my reason for the difference in ages. I mean, if one wants one, any reason works, really. It's sci-fi.
Old January 22 2013, 02:09 AM   #54
Christopher
Writer

Or to give equal time, people can ignore the line about being just 17 in ST09.
No, they can't. Walter Koenig was 30 when he did "Who Mourns for Adonais," so it's just as easy -- maybe even easier -- to accept him as 26 in that episode as the stated 22. But there's no possible way to accept Yelchin's Chekov as only 13. It's hardly a symmetrical situation.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 02:17 AM   #55
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

No, they can't. Walter Koenig was 30 when he did "Who Mourns for Adonais," so it's just as easy -- maybe even easier -- to accept him as 26 in that episode as the stated 22. But there's no possible way to accept Yelchin's Chekov as only 13. It's hardly a symmetrical situation.
If someone wants to believe Chekov is 13 in the new film, more power to them.
Old January 22 2013, 08:51 AM   #56
RPJOB
Commander

Or ignore the the 17 and just assume Chekov got into the academy early. They can't make everyone enroll at the same age. If there was an Ocampa wanting to join they'd be long dead before they could enroll. So Chekov's 13 instead of 17. Worked for Doogie Howser.
Old January 22 2013, 02:01 PM   #57
Lance
Commodore

I agree, maybe in the Alt universe they simply started recruiting them at a younger age than in the Prime 'verse.
Lance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 02:59 PM   #58
Timo
Admiral

The "family" idea among the seven is a bit overplayed this early, too.
Then again, the movie turns that into a virtue: the heroes don't just meet - they are destined to meet, come hell or high water (and the movie gives us plenty of both), and in most universes destiny has to take implausible routes to achieve this.

Only in the original TOS universe did the heroes meet realistically; the nuMovie universe is another of those "mirror" worlds in Trek where everything else is reshuffled to make the one piece fit. If Ben Sisko goes over from one universe to another, the destination is tailored to have a Ben Sisko -sized hole there, no matter how unlikely that is. If both Dr Bashir and Major Kira go, the universe caters for those two. And if Spock goes, the universe suddenly bends over backwards to accommodate this, regardless of what it does to the lives of the people native to that universe...

Supposedly such upheavals would be over by the end of the first nuMovie. And by supposedly I of course mean hopefully.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 03:41 PM   #59
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Lance wrote: View Post
I agree, maybe in the Alt universe they simply started recruiting them at a younger age than in the Prime 'verse.
According to the script and novelization of Wrath of Khan, Scotty's nephew Peter Preston was just 14.
Old January 22 2013, 06:00 PM   #60
RPJOB
Commander

If I can accept a 55 year old James Cromwell playing a mid 30's Zephram Cochrane then I think I can manage accepting a 13 year old year old Chekov plated by a slightly older actor. It certainly makes the "I can do that" running through the ship scene much easier to accept. Just think of him as Wesley Crusher who actually went to the Academy instead of becoming an acting ensign.