A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old January 19 2013, 08:24 PM   #16
LobsterAfternoon
Commander

Re: Is the NX 01 one of the better ships (aesthetically)?

I really like the NX-01's look. While it definitely represents a different time/purpose than something like the Ent-D, I think aesthetically it just looks better. Certainly D is supposed to be a more comfortable ship with civilians on board, but I don't think the design is good, particularly the interiors.
LobsterAfternoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2013, 08:25 PM   #17
Skywalker
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Always wished they had went with this one for the NX-01...

Way too similar to later designs, IMO. Then again, I would have preferred something closer to the Conestoga design we saw in "Terra Nova," but obviously TPTB that be wanted a design that was at least evoked the typical Star Trek saucer-and-nacelles look.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2013, 08:33 PM   #18
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Regarding the earlier replies of Drexler's what-if refit, here's a consolation prize from the blog.

Dominic Keating blows a take while having some delicious prime rib (with recipe).

http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2009/...tains-table-2/
Old January 20 2013, 12:35 AM   #19
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

If I had to rank the designs, I'm not sure where I would place the NX-01...

NCC-1701 (TOS)
NCC-1701-D (TNG)
NX-2000 (Excelsior, STIII)
NCC-1701-C (Yesterday's Enterprise, TNG)
NCC-1701 Refit (TOS Movies)

The NX-01 would definitely come in behind those.
Old January 20 2013, 01:11 AM   #20
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I think the NX-class is one of the best detailed Trek ships, but personally I thought there was always something "kitbashy" about the design--as if some parts had been directly lifted from a previous design with other parts slapped on. I've felt that way about a couple of non-hero Trek ships in the past.
Old January 20 2013, 05:47 PM   #21
USS Einstein
Lieutenant Commander

My favorite design will always be the original Constitution, followed by Constitution-refit.

In that sense, I like the NX-01's nacelles, and the ratio of saucer-to-nacelle.

I quite like the design now, but originally didn't think much.
USS Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2013, 06:03 PM   #22
nightwind1
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post
Melakon wrote: View Post
When searching for that link, I found a few entries where Doug did some mesh designs for a possible NX refit, had the series gone another season, adding an engineering hull.
Yeah, I saw the proposed refit and thought it looked pretty bad. Like they slapped on a secondary hull and neck with no regards as to how it looked.
Whereas I thought it looked really nice, and made a good transitional design between NX-01 and NCC-1701.

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
nightwind1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2013, 06:15 PM   #23
USS Firefly
Commander

The details of the akiraprise were nice but I preferred less like the Akira and more a Daedalus class
USS Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2013, 04:14 AM   #24
NeedsOfTheMany
Lieutenant Junior Grade

View NeedsOfTheMany's Twitter Profile

I liked the design of the ship, it's very simplistic and functional which is what they were going for on that voyage. I was more impressed with how they were able to maintain the details each episode especially the damage.
NeedsOfTheMany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2013, 01:18 PM   #25
ArcherNX01
Lieutenant

I was never a fan of the proposed refit, I have seen the drawings but they ever say what the technical reasons for having a secondary hull would be? More space, more power etc?
ArcherNX01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2013, 05:16 PM   #26
Christopher
Writer

ArcherNX01 wrote: View Post
I was never a fan of the proposed refit, I have seen the drawings but they ever say what the technical reasons for having a secondary hull would be? More space, more power etc?
It's explained in the centerfold of the Ships of the Line 2011 Calendar. It was said to be primarily about making room for a larger, more powerful warp reactor. It also let them add a larger deflector dish to supplement the "inadequate" one on the front of the saucer.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 02:45 AM   #27
Glacial
Lieutenant

I started off not liking the NX-01 at all, but it's become tied for my favorite with the TMP 1701, especially reading Drexler's blog and seeing all the obvious love, detail, and care he put into the design, and the fights he had with the producers and other departments over its look.

When you see it before all the VFX-department-demanded aztec'ing on the hull, I think the basic beauty of its design really comes through.

Old January 23 2013, 08:33 PM   #28
at Quark's
Lieutenant

hmmm, come to think of it, I think it is actually one of the nicer designs of the lot. Never cared much for the E, looks too sleek and 'mean' to me. As a teenager, I loved the D, but it is quite top-heavy. I don't particularly like the original enterprise, but I don't know how much I would have liked it if had had the same level of detail the ships of the newer series had.

The only 'complaint' I have is that the NX-01 looks too 'beatiful' for its era. It's the 2150's -- in-universe, I would expect something more crude, like a deadalus- class design -- but of course, had Archer's enterprise been of such a design, the tv-series wouldn't have sold well ...
at Quark's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 09:40 PM   #29
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

I think it did a reasonable job at looking like something NASA would build if there had to be a saucer and nacelles, with the possible exception of the twin hull extensions to engines.
Timelord Victorious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 10:10 PM   #30
Christopher
Writer

at Quark's wrote: View Post
The only 'complaint' I have is that the NX-01 looks too 'beatiful' for its era. It's the 2150's -- in-universe, I would expect something more crude, like a deadalus- class design -- but of course, had Archer's enterprise been of such a design, the tv-series wouldn't have sold well ...
I doubt very much that a starship design from 140 years in our future would look at all "crude" to modern eyes. NX-01 does indeed look less refined in a lot of ways -- I mentioned the details like the handholds in case of gravity failure and the cooling fans on the consoles, and there are lots of other details that evoke a NASA-style feel, something closer to the present day than the designs from "later" (i.e. earlier) series that seem more minimalist and fanciful, more removed from present-day designs. But there's no reason something closer to the present has to look crude and clunky. There's plenty of elegance in modern aerospace designs. After all, it's not the 1950s anymore.

Besides, form doesn't always reflect function. Some of it is simple aesthetics. Modern smartphones and tablets and the like look a lot simpler than designs from 2-3 decades ago -- just these solid black slabs with little or nothing in the way of visible buttons, status lights, antennae, ports, or what-have-you. Things like stereos and DVD players today have very simple, minimalist displays that convey a lot less information than the VCRs and CD players I had 20 years ago. So sometimes it's the later designs that look more simplified and basic.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote